Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2006 3:28:08 PM EDT
Just got my new SPR barrel in from White Oaks Armament today and had a few questions:
1. Why it there a small standoff in the barrel?
2. Do all flash suppressors have the same thread size as my barrel?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
1. For the barrel collar I think...
2. 1/2X28 is the standard thread so pretty much yes, unless you asked for a different threading.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Need a little help here
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I beleive the standoff on the barrel is for the ops inc supressor collar to be mounted on the barrel IIRC. Check out MSTN's threads in the Industry forum, there is a great post on SPR's there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Steve would know, but that shelf looks just a bit too close to the muzzle to the be OPS Inc collar shelf?  The collar shelf should be further back. I think it's just a step down transition, easier to machine than a smooth taper to get the diameter down from the gas port to the muzzle.  Correct me if i'm wrong, though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I could be wrong also, but I was always under the impression that the front of the collar lines up to that step in the barrel making it the right distance from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I could be wrong also, but I was always under the impression that the front of the collar lines up to that step in the barrel making it the right distance from the muzzle.

You're right, but that location is wrong.  The OPS inc. collar shelf on the inside-front of the collar interfaces with a corresponding shelf on the barrel, but there is also a 20 degree taper aft of that shelf on the barrel a corresponding 20 degree taper on the inside of the collar, so there is complete contact between the collar and the barrel. It is not just secured by that shelf.

That step in the photo above is just a transition, not the OPS inc collar shelf.  The OPS inc shelf is further back and a bit taller.

Unfortunately, as the photo above illustrates, "SPR" has come to mean simply an 18" stainless steel barrel.  If you want true SPR spec with the OPS inc shelf and taper, you need to specify that and usually special order it.  This barrel really isn't an SPR barrel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We got the cart in front of the horse here.

All GI M16 barrels have the step.  The OPs Inc. was made to fit the GI barrel not the opposite.  Think grenade launching.[/

All GI barels have the step in the photo above, but no, the OPS inc set-up will NOT fit a standard GI barrel. The muzzle brake will fit fine, but it's useless without the collar if you want to attach the OPS inc 12th model suppressor and the collar requires a special contour.  The barrel contour (shelf location and 20 degree taper) and length (18") of true SPR barrel are non-standard and not USGI.quote]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top