Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:01:16 PM EDT
I'm new to ARs so bear with me. I actually got it done after a long time but is there any trick or things to know when installing a YHM handrail in place of the handguards it comes with? Not the Free Floating, the regular handguards. It was extremely hard to pull down the ring to install the rails on the rifle. Do they just slip on like the normalhandrails? Top first then the botton rail? Any screws to loosen first? Or am I just a weakling? Thanx for any help.

Albert
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the biggest tips is to get a friend to help you hold down the delta ring at the receiver end of the hand guard.  There is also a handguard tool you can get to help hold it down.  I use a pair of channel locks and use the handles to squeeze the delta ring down.

It's a real pain to do it by yourself, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps I have strong hands, but I find it easy to install handguards, and I always do it by myself.  I just put the butt on the floor, and pull the ring down, and pull off a guard.  Then repeat.  If you have a real stubborn set, wedge a small screwdriver to pretension them apart, so when you pull the ring down the pop apart themselves.  If you have a huge problem installing them, then place the top parts of both handguards in the end cap, and rubber band them together at the bottom.  Pull down the ring and they should go home by themselves.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Great ideas ya'll.  Next time I'll keep those tips in mind and try them because it was truly a b_tch trying to put them on. I'm not a small guy but that delta ring just kicked my a$$ and my hands still hurt!  Thanx again for the help and have a great weekend.

Albert
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The buddy system!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
if you have a stubborn one, theres a snap ring that holds the spring.  move it back towards the receiver a bit, and the spring will lose its tension.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top