Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2006 7:29:04 PM EDT
i was looking at the benefits at the m16 bolt carriers, and decided to look them up on gun broker or in the EE. then i remembered, isn't it bad to get a used bolt? because what i remember reading was that you shouldn't switch carriers between different uppers? i didnt know if that info was just a theory or whatnot. thanks. (sidenote, i just got my membership! yes! cant you change the avatar?)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You can swap the carrier from rifle to rifle, but I wouldnt swap a bolt from rifle to rifle.

You must upload a photo into the photo server for your avatar picture. Click on the photo button on the upper left side of the screen then log into the photo server.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it's considered by most people to be bad karma if you switch the bolt and carrier.  Some companies even offer "matched" bolt/carrier and barrel packages.  Personally I think its bull puckey because if it's built MIL-SPEC then it should be interchangable and if it osnt build MIL-SPEC then why in the hell are you buying it in the first place?  Anyway thats my .02.  But I wouldn't buy a used carrier because different recievers can have different inside diameters by hundredths of a milimeter but that tends to be enough to cause problems in rare cases.

EDIT: oh and benefits are weight.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys, if i end up deciding to get one i might as just put in the extra bucks and get a new one. thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't make a habbit of switching bolts between rifles as the wear patterns are different between each rifle and can excesivly wear the bolt..

but..

If the bolt headspaces okay to the barrel, you are good to go. I don't put to much stock in the "matched bolt" bit when it comes to ARs.. just needs to have good headspace.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top