Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2006 7:27:01 PM EDT
just did a trade for a bunch of Ar parts locally with a guy and in it was a complete preban Essential Arms lower. It is the one they called "investment cast" Just wondering what it's worth to someone behind enemy lines who is still screwed by the ban. I'd rather move it to them than keep it as it is of greater value to them. I don't want to rape anyone on it but I don't want to screw myself either. it's in great condition just kind of funky with the raised lettering.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one myself and have been thinking of doing the same. I bought mine for my first build back in ~1990 or so. I'm interested in find out.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't think you can 'import' pre-bans into ban states.

Simon
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Simon

I could be wrong but I thought it was OK if it was preban. I live in a free state so I'm not 100% sure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simon

I could be wrong but I thought it was OK if it was preban. I live in a free state so I'm not 100% sure.

Watch out.  Some of those commie states have rules that say that the lower receiver must have been assembled into a weapon prior to their ban for it to count as a "pre-ban".  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, here's the scoop guys.

it is perfectly legal to ship them to NY. We do have a law that states it must have been a complete rifle before the ban. EA burned to the ground before the ban and all the records were lost so a signed letter from you stating that you bought it as a complete rifle or built it yourself before 9/24/94 is pretty good proof.

The value depends. Experienced buyers know that it is a 12 yr old used lower and has no more value to you then a regular (no ban) used lower. I myself have never paid more than $300 for a true preban EA (I own 3-4 now) I have paid as little as $175 for one. You might find a buyer for a few dollars more but IMHO you would be taking them for a ride.

Your best bet is to trade the lower for a new lower. You make out in the deal with a brand new lower and we get a nice preban so we can have a bayo lug, flash hider, and collapsible stock.

If you are interested, IM me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

it is perfectly legal to ship them to NY. We do have a law that states it must have been a complete rifle before the ban. EA burned to the ground before the ban and all the records were lost so a signed letter from you stating that you bought it as a complete rifle or built it yourself before 9/24/94 is pretty good proof.

The value depends. Experienced buyers know that it is a 12 yr old used lower and has no more value to you then a regular (no ban) used lower. I myself have never paid more than $300 for a true preban EA (I own 3-4 now) I have paid as little as $175 for one. You might find a buyer for a few dollars more but IMHO you would be taking them for a ride.

Your best bet is to trade the lower for a new lower. You make out in the deal with a brand new lower and we get a nice preban so we can have a bayo lug, flash hider, and collapsible stock.

Are you sure EA burned to the ground?  I only ask because I ran into Mr. Vaughn at the last gun show I went to, and he is back in business making lowers and selling parts.  If I am not mistaken, he never made complete rifles except for a few custom jobs.  Essential Arms was basically a parts place.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure EA burned to the ground?  I only ask because I ran into Mr. Vaughn at the last gun show I went to, and he is back in business making lowers and selling parts.  If I am not mistaken, he never made complete rifles except for a few custom jobs.  Essential Arms was basically a parts place.

Yes, they burned to the ground in 1993, all records were lost. They are back in business and making lowers again, IIRC they went back into business in 04 or 05

If the rifle was assembled before the ban by you, someone else, a gun smith, the factory, grandma may, your dog, it doesn't matter as long as it was complete.

The preban lowers are marked J-15. The new lowers are marked J-15-2

Hope it helps.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top