Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2006 4:35:32 PM EDT
Any experience?  I think I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm gonna free float my M4 and put the rail covers on with maybe a forward grip since the rail is only like $100.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
are you disassembling the upper yourself?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
i do not know about the free floats but i have the YHM 2 piece for the 109 plus shipping and they are quite solid.  i thought i would feel a twitch in it but they are damn solid.  i was surprised
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
are you disassembling the upper yourself?

Nah I'm somewhat new to firearms, and I don't have the needed tools, so I'm probably just gonna give it to the guy I bought the lower from.  I believe he's a gunsmith also.  Depending on price.  If it's alot, I'll buy the stuff and give it a shot myself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i do not know about the free floats but i have the YHM 2 piece for the 109 plus shipping and they are quite solid.  i thought i would feel a twitch in it but they are damn solid.  i was surprised

Where did you get that from?  Thought about the 2 piece, but I might as well just go all out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to think they were decent.  I've changed my mind.  They are HEAVY.  Even the lightweight model is almost twice the weight of a Daniel Defense or Larue.  There have been some issues with the rails not being M1913 spec, thus making attatchment of certain accessories difficult.  The locking ring is small and somewhat difficult to tighten even with a strap wrench, thus allowing the rail to come loose.  I'd try to find a deal on a used DD or Larue in the EE here.  

Doc
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#6]
BE CAREFUL.  "Gunsmiths" are different than AR-smiths.  I've fixed many a hack-job that a so-called "gunsmith" put together on an AR.  Installing a freefloat forend almost always (with the exception of the ARMS SIR, TROY MRFS) involves removal of the barrel nut/gas system, and someone who doesn't know what they're doing will turn your fine semiautomatic rifle into a single shot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BE CAREFUL.  "Gunsmiths" are different than AR-smiths.  I've fixed many a hack-job that a so-called "gunsmith" put together on an AR.  Installing a freefloat forend almost always (with the exception of the ARMS SIR, TROY MRFS) involves removal of the barrel nut/gas system, and someone who doesn't know what they're doing will turn your fine semiautomatic rifle into a single shot.

He specializes in ARs supposedly :)  thanks for the concern though.

I'm going to keep my eyes open on the EE as I am in no rush.   What about KAC?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I really want to try an MI full-float...(didn't exist at the time)

I got the rifle length YHM, and while it assembled fine, I only use it on my casual shooter.

No rough stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a rifle length YHM - and I'm very happy with it.   All the rails are in spec, and it doesn't seem particularly heavy to me (but I don't have other rails to compare it to) and since it's on a match rifle I don't really care about weight anyway.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]
buy drop in handguards. There is no reason to go through all the trouble to install/pay for a FF when you will never realise the gain.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Do a search and read up...  From my experience it is half and half.  Most guys (most not all) who bash them have NEVER had them on a weapon.  
I have mine on a duty carbine and couldn't be happier.  Are they heavy?  Damn right they are.  Are they rock solid?  With a good installation USING THEIR SPECIFIC TOOL they are as solid as any other Surefire or KAC (the only two that I have experience with).  Are the rails in spec?  I have never had any issue using a TangoDown VFG or EOTech.  I know some report issues but I, personally, haven't had any.  Are they cheap?  Cost-wise yes they are, about half to a third less than other brands offerings.
I would do some more research and you may realize that those who actually own them are 100% happy...  Those who tend to be somewhat snobbish (we all are at times) hate them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you get that from?  Thought about the 2 piece, but I might as well just go all out.

BRAVO COMPANY>>>site sponsor
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Larue
Daniel Defense
Kight's Armament
Troy
Midwest Industries

In that order too. YHM's are heavy and cheaply made, but I guess they get the job done if you want a cheap way out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#15]

I've got a YHM float in my living room right now, and it is a heavy SOB.  They are far heavier than the Larue, even though they attach using an inferior method.

Quoted:
buy drop in handguards. There is no reason to go through all the trouble to install/pay for a FF when you will never realise the gain.

You will realize the 5 or more oz difference.  An there are some advantages when the gun gets hot.  Most people on this site don't shoot like that, though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Why would I never realize the gain?

And the drop in ones are just as much as the free-float.  I'll probably just get a used one.

You're telling me that mounting a forward grip or such isn't gonna through off my POI/POA?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've got a YHM float in my living room right now, and it is a heavy SOB.  They are far heavier than the Larue, even though they attach using an inferior method.

Quoted:

You will realize the 5 or more oz difference.  An there are some advantages when the gun gets hot.  Most people on this site don't shoot like that, though.

I meant railed 2-piece drop in HGs. These would perform similar to FF during extended firing. The gain I was talking about was accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the drop in ones are just as much as the free-float.  I'll probably just get a used one.

You're telling me that mounting a forward grip or such isn't gonna through off my POI/POA?

No, not much. An M4 wasnt meant to be a bench gun. By going with drop ins, you will avoid the $25-50 installation fee. You will also avoid the chance that the tube might come unscrewed, after it is installed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, not much. An M4 wasnt meant to be a bench gun. By going with drop ins, you will avoid the $25-50 installation fee. You will also avoid the chance that the tube might come unscrewed.

Maybe I'll look into them.  Do they have a solid feel?

Who makes the 2-piece ones for a decent price other than YHM?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#20]

YHM
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I am very happy with mine.  The first time I installed it I did a shitty job, and it was canted to the side... my fault.

I suggest installing it using the correct (their) wrench, and use Locktite on the threads to reduce the chance of it coming loose.  Mine feels well made and the installation gave me the impression that the tolerances were very good.  For the price, I'm perfectly happy... though, it's the only free float tube I've owned, so I can't compare it to others.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Midwest Industries #17 have a very solid feel.  Heck i've mounted optics on them
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Midwest Industries #17 have a very solid feel.  Heck i've mounted optics on them

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Page2.html

Those look nice.  I might just grab a set in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#24]
YHM stuff is great, I have the free float and it works well.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should be more solid than YHM. YHM 2-piece are only held in place by the hangduard cap and delta ring. The MI pieces lock together supposedly and are tighter. This was repored by Grant of GandRtactical.com.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should be more solid than YHM. YHM 2-piece are only held in place by the hangduard cap and delta ring. The MI pieces lock together supposedly and are tighter. This was repored by Grant of GandRtactical.com.

Yeah I'll probably just go with those.  I like the looks of them better anyways, and they're the same price pretty much.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#27]
This isn't free floated is it?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I meant railed 2-piece drop in HGs. These would perform similar to FF during extended firing. The gain I was talking about was accuracy.

Correct, the accuracy gain is negligable.  I float for other reasons.

M4A1OwnsYou, that is a KAC non-float rail.  They are used primarily by the Federal Government.  They were the standard by which others are judged.  They still may be, because of their ubiquity.

The KAC above is 5 ounces heavier than a DD rail or Colt M4 handguards, and 2 ounces heavier than a Larue.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, the accuracy gain is negligable.  I float for other reasons.

M4A1OwnsYou, that is a KAC non-float rail.  They are used primarily by the Federal Government.  They were the standard by which others are judged.  They still may be, because of their ubiquity.

The KAC above is 5 ounces heavier than a DD rail or Colt M4 handguards, and 2 ounces heavier than a Larue.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]
But a word of warning; KAC's hit around $350 last time I checked.  If you have an M4 profile barrel and M4 feed ramps the little extra weight of MI rails is neglegible.  Plus thats why we have 3-point and bunjee slings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
But a word of warning; KAC's hit around $350 last time I checked.  If you have an M4 profile barrel and M4 feed ramps the little extra weight of MI rails is neglegible.  Plus thats why we have 3-point and bunjee slings.

Yeah I was just looking at that. I think I'll pass lol

MI looks good to me
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#32]
MI railed handgaurds are built tough and you cant beat the price.  IMO free floats are a bit overated on M-4 type rifles.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
MI railed handgaurds are built tough and you cant beat the price.  IMO free floats are a bit overated on M-4 type rifles.  

Good to hear.  I'll probably purchase the MI next week.

Any of you guys know a good place to get the rail covers?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Any of you guys know a good place to get the rail covers?

EE.

I got some 11-rib KACs for cheap.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:57:42 AM EDT
[#35]

I have the YHM L/W FF and like it a lot.
Its not cheap.
Its not heavy.
Its priced right.
Great service.

To me there is no reason to pay ridiculous inflated prices because of a brand name for anything.
Good is good enough.
I took the other 200.00+ I would have spent and got a Nikon 1.5x4 scope for my other carbine.
I also let them assemble the upper to eliminate problems.
When I win the lottery I will get a Magpul,LaRue,and Daniel Defense catalog.And others!
I was born a poor black boy!                    

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/th_IM000610.jpg
i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/th_IM000609.jpg

I have the YHM L/W FF and like it a lot.
Its not cheap.
Its not heavy.
Its priced right.
Great service.

To me there is no reason to pay ridiculous inflated prices because of a brand name for anything.
Good is good enough.
I took the other 200.00+ I would have spent and got a Nikon 1.5x4 scope for my other carbine.
I also let them assemble the upper to eliminate problems.
When I win the lottery I will get a Magpul,LaRue,and Daniel Defense catalog.And others!
I was born a poor black boy!                    

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/th_IM000623.jpg

Amen brotha
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:57:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I like YHM a lot!  Here is my second one:

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I thought I'd throw a picture of mine in the mix.

I haven't tried the MI, yet but the YHM is a solid unit.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#39]
+1 for YHM tubes. Really like mine, I have the specter lenght on a 16" barrel.
Get lightweight, normal ones are little too heavy for my liking
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/dxdgenert/IMG_0914.jpg

What kind of rail covers are those on your YHM forearm
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of rail covers are those on your YHM forearm

Magpul XT's.  Best in the business IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Very nice pic!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
www.dfwls1.com/hosting/albums/userpics/10228/20.jpg

What brand scope you got there TDB.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.dfwls1.com/hosting/albums/userpics/10228/20.jpg

hr

What brand scope you got there TDB.

Simmons ProDiamond 1.5-5x20

www.simmonsoptics.com/Riflescopes_MS_PD.htm
Model 517791
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#46]

How do you like the diamond retical.
Simmons ProDiamond 1.5-5x20

www.simmonsoptics.com/Riflescopes_MS_PD.htm
Model 517791
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
How do you like the diamond retical.

I haven't put any rounds through the rifle yet. That's my upper on BadSVT's lower. He put the upper together for me, and the scope used to be on one of his ARs.  He seemed to really like it. I'm waiting on my lower and I'll have it together over here and can give you some first-hand opinions.

From just looking through it, I'm really impressed with the optic. Really good deal for the price IMO. Before I actually looked through it, I'd sorta worried that maybe the diamond would be gimmicky and obscure the sight picture or something, but the concept is executed well and I think it'll prove handy.

I can't wait to get everything together and try it out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Thats my bushy with YHM lightweight free float.  I found it easy to install, used loctite and have had no problems.  I would recommend blue loctite over red, red is pretty much permanent.  I have never seen blue work loose anyways.  I used ergo ladder style covers and a Tango Down battle grip.  The TD panels I bought made the weapon far too wide to properly grip.  There are tapped holes in front, one on each rail so you can add things like a sling mount.  Use the YHM wrench to install it, and you shouldn't have any trouble.  I also added the trim piece in front as it wouldn't look very nice without it.

Also, you will need to file the TD grip to make it fit properly.  5-10 minutes with a file set, its an easy simple job, just file to fit.  The rails were too wide, or the grip too small, either way it fits real nicely now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top