Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 2:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 3:01:08 PM EDT by Leatherneck556]
What do you prefer in a 16" gov't profile barrel: a short handguard M4 style, or mid-length handguard gov't profile style and why?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:02:04 PM EDT
M4
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:21:58 PM EDT
Mid-length because it gives you more handguard area for your other accessories and your hand, smoother action, longer sight radius and you could mount a standard bayonet if you want to.

Actually, I went with the mid-weight barrel profile middy rather than the Gov't profile to have better heat resistance but the down side is a bit more weight.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:35:05 PM EDT
Midlength every time.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:02:47 PM EDT
+1 for the middy
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:23:36 PM EDT
M4.

No paticular reason, just like that style.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:25:32 PM EDT
In true Arfcom tradition, both.

Actually I don't own a midlength...yet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:31:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Midlength every time.

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:34:50 PM EDT
If going for a true 16" barrel, middy for sure.
16" OAL (14.5" + perm fh), then M4

I don't shoot enough at once to appreciate the added midweight profile.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:21:20 PM EDT
I voted for the mid-length but I forgot the real answer here at ARFCOM by SPTiger is always "In true Arfcom tradition, both."

I have both mid-length and 16" M4 Gov't profile carbines.

I would recommend the Gov't profile mid-length barrel for the majority of users.

The mid-weight mid-length barrel is not for everyone specially guys that don't like the extra weight, it weights more than a M4A1 heavy barrel and almost the same weight as a 20" Gov't profile barrel.

I would recommend the mid-weight barrel for users in hot climates, guy's who like to bump fire (also bump fire under water ), anyone that wants a longer barrel life, if you have a friend with a M16 and for someone that have a full auto plan in the future.

Pic of my middy carbine

Pic of my M4gery
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:24:33 AM EDT
So when a "mid-weight" is being referred to, does that mean a mid-length HBAR, or is that some kind of option you can get between gov't profile and HBAR? If so, who makes that?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:49:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Leatherneck556:
So when a "mid-weight" is being referred to, does that mean a mid-length HBAR, or is that some kind of option you can get between gov't profile and HBAR? If so, who makes that?

The mid-weight is in between a Gov't and HBAR profile and there is no standard barrel diameter under the handguards, every maker have their own different custom diameter.

My mid-weight barrel is called the Operator by Denny's Guns/ Global Tactical Supply and here's more pictures and info about its specs in the noted thread link.

The OPERATOR Barrels thread link
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:48:48 AM EDT
My brother-in-law got a carbine shortly after I got mine. His is a carbine length while mine is midlength . The rifles feel very different; recoil feels a lot smoother with mine than with his. Considering the difference in gas systems, I can only think that that's what I'm feeling.
Top Top