Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 1:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 2:32:47 PM EDT by TDB]
Hey guys,
I'm almost done with my first AR and am looking to get a sling for it. I've pretty well decided on the Specter SOP, but had a couple questions as to how it mounts exactly.

First, my rifle (well, my upper on BadSVT's lower):
http://www.dfwls1.com/hosting/albums/userpics/10228/20.jpg

It's a YHM standard free float.

I'm thinking I need the #133 sling?
www.spectergear.com/sop_sling.htm

My question is the forward mount. Like I said, I'm a noob, but wouldn't attaching the sling to the FSB defeat the purpose of free floating the barrel? Will this sling work with a sling stud in the free float tube? Fixed or swivel?
yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/YHM-9469.jpg
yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/YHM-9476.jpg

Pictures would be great.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:49:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 1:51:09 PM EDT by ironsight-boy]
Yes it would work just as well on a QD stud with attachment. And yes, attaching a sling to your barrel will change the harmonics, even if only a minute amount.

Erm btw, if you were free-floating the barrel why did you bother with a bayonet stud and sling swivel on the gas block?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:53:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ironsight-boy:
Yes it would work just as well on a QD stud with attachment. And yes, attaching a sling to your barrel will change the harmonics, even if only a minute amount.

Erm btw, if you were free-floating the barrel why did you bother with a bayonet stud and sling swivel on the gas block?

Thanks. Am I correct in thinking the #133 is the one for me?

I bought the barrel used and it came with the YHM flip front sight.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:34:54 PM EDT
anyone?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:11:04 PM EDT
btt

Fixed or swivel sling mount? I figure fixed, since that's more the way the FSB mounted one would act?

And the #133?

Anyone on here have one of these slings? Comments/pics?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:37:10 AM EDT
Give them a call they are great to deal with!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:00:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 4:03:26 AM EDT by 1-Michigun]
TDB, you’re going to want to get SOP sling #134 for your AR & then get the FIXED YHM sling mount that you’ll want to place on the side of your YHM free-float tube.

The front of your SOP #134 sling will mount like this:

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:42:24 AM EDT
The one I have on my varminter was bought for a a2 stock and carbine handguards #132 I think, I have since changed my handguards and barrel and it still works the same.

The sling wraps around the handguards and is supposed to wrap through the sling loop, but because my yhm tube doesnt have the sling loop I just wrap it around good and tight and she stays put. But my life doesnt depend on this rifle, so I am ok with cutting corners and chancing that the sling may slip and have to be re-adjusted from time to time.
Top Top