Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:48 AM EDT
I am new here and need some advice, I have a wasr-10 right now and wanted to get an ar-15 of some type.  What do you guys recommend?  I am looking for one with a collaspable stock.  Looking for the best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I recommend that you read as many threads here as possible, so you can make an educated decision.  No shortcuts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#2]
As your a newb I'd say the most important thing ya should do first is RESEARCH.

Read all the tacked threads atop this forum the Ammunition, Optic and others.....

Make a list of what ya want the rifle to do for you and the ranges you intend on shooting.

Decide on a twist rate, (heavier/better self-defense rounds may require the faster twist in 14.5" w/ perm FS or 16"  rifles)

Decide what optic ya want (A2 upper are less condusive to scopes and optics than the A3 flat-tops).

Study first, then you'll be better equiped to make smarter choices and when ya decide to buy the Industry and Equipment Exchange forums is where I'd go to shop.....

Good luck and welcome aboard....

Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Rock River Arms. Check out the Entry Tactical or the Midlenght A4. I'm an AK guy too, and I'm just finishing 7 months of saving/researching for an AR. First I looked at Colt, then Bushmaster, and finally decided to stick with RRA. Best all around deal from what I can tell: awesome fit and finish, and very reliable function. Now I just have to decide between an M4gery and a middy.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for searching through the threads/forums for whatever info you can get along with a price range.

stick with the "BIG"  brands
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for RESEARCH

Before I buy any fully assembled rifle I do research.

Another possible route is if you feel brave (and have the right tools e.g. headspaced gauge, armorer's wrench etc) then just decide what you want the rifle to do and build a custom rifle tailored exactly to your every desire.  That way you don't spend the extra money on parts you want to replace anyway.  Plus being the adventurous kind (and at times stupid) I like to do my own gunsmithing.  Just two days ago I did a trigger job on my brother's bolt action and hot damn-- its nice now.  Maybe a 2.5lb pull single stage no creep or anything.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a noob also, however, I've had my AR for 15 years! A safe queen that I acquired a long time ago. As someone stated earlier, read all of the tacked stuff. I've been reading since last Christmas, a little every day. The guys here are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a noob also, however, I've had my AR for 15 years! A safe queen that I acquired a long time ago. As someone stated earlier, read all of the tacked stuff. I've been reading since last Christmas, a little every day. The guys here are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
--Welcome to the site!

RRA is about the best bang for the $$$s for a stock, whole AR

stick w/ ABCDR brands

www.ammo-oracle.com--pls read this

read around
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top