Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/14/2006 1:44:36 PM EDT
I'm kinda new to AR's - buying, not shooting. A quick question that I'm sure anybody could answer: Is the Bushmaster 20" Pre-ban Match Target Upper (located here: http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/pre-ban/bura2b20.asp ) essentially the "basic" bushmaster 20" upper? Like, if I wanted something close to an M16 (except this one obviously has a 1:9 twist as opposed to 1:7 and is from Bushmaster) would that be what I would need to get? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 2:08:02 PM EDT by I-M-A-WMD]
Welcome Leatherneck556.

Made link hot:

Bushamster 20" HBAR

Close, but off on a couple of counts.

First is obviously the twist of 1/9 vs. 1/7.

Second, and most important IMHO is that the HBAR will be heavier and handle differenlty than the M16 standard issue. What you'd probably be more into is a "Government Profile" barrel. The GP barrel is thin under the handguards and heavy in front of the front sight base.

Aesthetically from the exterior, yes it'll look the same. As far as matching, they're "exactly the same...Only different" as mentioned above.

HTH,

Sly
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:38:03 PM EDT
So when you say "handle differently," what exactly do you mean? Also, I'm assuming that the Bushmaster HBAR would be significantly.... hardier... tougher? What have you, you know what I'm trying to say.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:43:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 3:52:27 PM EDT by ALPHAGHOST]
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/pre-ban/bura2b20.asp

first off, its bushy's basic civi 20in version (imo. cheaper to mass produce as its like thier other twists and HBAR)....

if you want one as close to govt spec (besides a colt), check out a 1-7 twist Govt profile 20in A2 upper (bushmaster makes em, its just not on thier site)--you can find bbls/complete assemblies if you look around

this is what you might be looking for: www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_item.aspx?id=687&action=display
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 5:41:04 PM EDT by Leatherneck556]
First I'd like to say thanks for the info I've gotten so far (and for the links and everything). But one question I've got is: why are HBARs really common, and why does the military use a slimmer profile under the handguards? To keep weight down? What are the advantages to having an HBAR if any?

Also, another question that popped into my head while looking at the link that Alpha sent me: there is an option between a RRA bold group and a Young Chrome assembly. I'm assuming that the chrome is the bolt carrier that would be better for mil-type useage?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:27 PM EDT
I'm watching this thread, as I have similar questions and ideas.
Top Top