BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:46:10 PM EDT
I see this alot, 'This is my gear for when the SHTF. Exactly what do you guys think is gonna happen? Or is it a joke and as usual I did not get it? What are you getting ready for, the Ruskies, Chinese, Canadians?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I see this alot, 'This is my gear for when the SHTF. Exactly what do you guys think is gonna happen? Or is it a joke and as usual I did not get it? What are you getting ready for, the Ruskies, Chinese, Canadians?

I think its the zombies that everyone is waiting for.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I left out the Zombies on purpose cause they are so slloooooooow.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about the rest of you, but yeah, I AM preparing for the zombies.

It's an easy response for the "whuddya need that thang fer?" crowd. It gets them to leave me be.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes Steve zombies.  Please don't poke fun at us.  I guarantee you won't be laughing when long departed grandmom tries to take a chunk out of you.  We treat this seriously here...  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Zombies...

its all fun and games until someone comes back from the dead to eat you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
A pal of mine, his mom is a Vodoo queen out of Nwalins, for real, so I got that covered, I got the good MoJo working for me. Zombies avoide me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know why you need to prepare for zombie attacks.  Them things are so slow that all you need is a 10/22 and a brick or two of ammo.  Most guys on this board probably have that already.  What we need to prepare for is alien invasion.  With aliens you have the perfect reason to prepair by getting a broad range of tools of destruction.  The reason being that we have no way of knowing what will do the job so we need everything. hippie.gif

--mort
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Mort, have you seen your therapist lately???  I'm mean c'mon, space aliens??  Time for your med check dude..  Now where were we..  That's right:   Zombies are a serious threat that demand immediate attention.....  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all about the zombies

you see when the outbreak happens the govt will dispatch Chuck Norris.

You have to hold out until Mr. Norris clears them all. He'll obviously start in DC... Then wherever GWbush is currently on vacation. He'll then hit major cities, NY, LA, Chi, DAL, etc etc etc... Eventually he'll clear them all out as usual, but you have to hold on until that happens.

For instance the so called 'Rodney King Riots" in LA.... Zombie outbreak.... stopped by Chuck NOrris.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Hurrican Katrina and the psycho poor folks ransacking towns is SHTF enough for me

btw riots, looters, criminals, MS13 and brethern gangs, its the LOCAL americans who are raising enough hell

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would think that any time you are grabbing a weapon to defend yourself or family, the SHTF.  Being prepared in general is more important than dwelling over when the event will happen, or what it will be.

Besides, its easy for you to trust the Canadians, you live down in TN.....

hey, i trust canadians and i live in flori............. oh yea.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Dude of course i don't see a therapist, they work for the aliens.  Everything is spelled out in one of the best training films i've ever seen.  This film also has one of the best/funniest fight scenes i have ever watched.

They Live

http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/data/movies/stills/tlst03.jpg

Cappin zombies is only tuff for people who cant climb up to the roof with a rifle in hand.

--mort

Quoted:
Mort, have you seen your therapist lately???  I'm mean c'mon, space aliens??  Time for your med check dude..  Now where were we..  That's right:   Zombies are a serious threat that demand immediate attention.....  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#15]

<-----------I don't have this power pyramid foil hat for nothing. THEY ARE COMING
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hurrican Katrina and the psycho poor folks ransacking towns is SHTF enough for me

btw riots, looters, criminals, MS13 and brethern gangs, its the LOCAL americans who are raising enough hell

I was ridiculed, or at least looked at as being weird for having been somewhat "SHTF"-ready... Until Hurricane Rita hit.  Everyone was going to WallMark's and Academy and gun stores trying to buy ammo and other things.  LE stopped ammunition and weapon sales and many were left without.  I had water, food, and weapons and ammo.  I had my DPMS M4 and my chest pouch at all times.  I got a lot of respect.  People didn't mind me being around.  Being ready for whatever SHTF may be, you'll be just that, ready.

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was ridiculed, or at least looked at as being weird for having been somewhat "SHTF"-ready... Until Hurricane Rita hit.  Everyone was going to WallMark's and Academy and gun stores trying to buy ammo and other things.  LE stopped ammunition and weapon sales and many were left without.  I had water, food, and weapons and ammo.  I had my DPMS M4 and my chest pouch at all times.  I got a lot of respect.  People didn't mind me being around.  Being ready for whatever SHTF may be, you'll be just that, ready.

TS

They did? I don't remember that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Stick,don't forget Celine Dion...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Lumberton and Silsbee WallMark's for certain.  I saw Silsbee being cleared out personally, and Lumberton (sporting goods) was also closed and weapons and ammo confiscated.  I heard the same was done to Academy and Beaumont WallMark's on KLVI.  There was a stink about LEO's taking things from each of those. (Not only guns and ammo and some for personal use)

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Lumberton and Silsbee WallMark's for certain.  I saw Silsbee being cleared out personally, and Lumberton (sporting goods) was also closed and weapons and ammo confiscated.  I heard the same was done to Academy and Beaumont WallMark's on KLVI.  There was a stink about LEO's taking things from each of those. (Not only guns and ammo and some for personal use)

TS

I didn't know that. Damn shame though. I work at the PD and didn't know/hear about guns and ammo being taken for personal use.   It was a big fucking mess. The City of Beaumont WAS NOT prepared for a hurricane much less any disaster.  I did get some nice toys out of the o.t. though

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Stick,don't forget Celine Dion...

and Brian Adams.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1  

My only problem is going to be deciding which weapon to use first.  In a SHTF situation, I guess the gun I grab first will have to do, whether it be a .308, 7.62x39mm, .223, 12 guage, 45 ACP, or 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I am prepared for the day that the CIA in conjunction with the Saucer People and the RAND Corporation . . . . . .

and Zombies led by Chuck Norris clones (released into the wild by the CIA in conjunction with the Saucer People and the RAND Corporation . . . . . . )

Who are supported by Soviet Communist time travelers . . . .
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TS

They did? I don't remember that.

Here in Lafayette, Louisiana, certain stores were rumored to have shipped .45 ACP and 9mm to stores in other states per request of certain liberal political and LE figures.  One of those chain stores has since stopped selling ammo and marked their remaining stock down.  Trying to find ammo between Katrina and Rita was a real PITA.  As a result of the natural disasters, I learned a valuable lesson, and that is to stock up on ammo.  Once a month, I make certain that I purchase more whether I need it or not!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TS

I didn't know that. Damn shame though. I work at the PD and didn't know/hear about guns and ammo being taken for personal use.   It was a big fucking mess. The City of Beaumont WAS NOT prepared for a hurricane much less any disaster.  I did get some nice toys out of the o.t. though

You're with BPD?  

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Anything that creates mass civil disorder is TSHTF. Weather, Riots, Zombies, terrorist attack.

Real SHTF gear is water, shelter, canned food and a hot wench to repopulate the earth with. The guns are for keeping people from taking your water, shelter, canned food and a hot wench. It also keeps the undead from eating your brains since they cant use can openers

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TS

You're with BPD?  

TS

Yep. Not an officer though. Still debating whether I wanna go in the academy eventually or not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Without getting "preachy", it is a matter of facing the truth that there is evil in this world.  You must confront evil with force.  Unconfronted, evil spreads.  

Evil comes in different flavors: terrorists, robbers, looters, rapists, burglars, rioters, etc...  Basically, PEOPLE.  Unfortunately, it is people we prepare to kill, not zombies, aliens, or Chuck Norris clones...  People who are bent on doing evil.  

As an Officer, I see the impact of evil on this world, and it has solidified my belief in the presence and pervasiveness of such.  I don't plan to ever be a victim of evil.  I prepare for it.  [/preaching]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I am wondering why this topic is in the technical forums?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:21:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Dirty bombs in three american cities.

Bird flu.

Simultaneous 3 man AK47armed attacks in a dozen shopping malls.

Strait of Hormuz closes; oil goes to 300/barrel.

Nuclear war between Iran and Israel.  China takes advantage and invades Taiwan.

North Korean missile attack on Los Angeles.

Take two of any of the above, and TWAWKI is a distant memory.  Economic collapse, the draft-- hard to predict, so some folks are prepared for anything.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:32:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Real SHTF gear is water, shelter, canned food and a hot wench to repopulate the earth with...

I am so ready.

In fact, it's time for a SHTF drill right now. Hmmm, what will the naughty zombie do in today's scenario?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:43:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Evil comes in different flavors: terrorists, robbers, looters, rapists, burglars, rioters, etc...  Basically, PEOPLE.  Unfortunately, it is people we prepare to kill, not zombies, aliens, or Chuck Norris clones...  People who are bent on doing evil.  

[/preaching]

You forgot LIBERALS
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:08:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm from the Golden Triangle Area, Texas and I dont remember hearing of L.E stopping sales of ammo and guns anywhere locally. Not saying they didn't, but I left late and returned early and never heard of that.
And yes we did have a zombie problem in Bmt. But they have all returned to, across the Neches River Bridge

Hello ManiacRat461 & Tigerstripe

SouthEast Texas Sportman's Club Member here.
Best Place I have found around to shoot.
Gets a little muddy out at the 350 to 425 yard range
And I Wish they would clear out father back maybe to at least 800 yds.
Me and a couple co-workers shoot there about every week.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:17:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Some people have dead-end lives in the here and now so they fantasize about civization as we know it ending so they can try and be someone of some importance afterwards.  They stockpile food and guns in an effort to make themselves a valuable commodity, but fail to realize that it's not going to be Mad Max, the Roadwarrior isn't going to save you by driving out in a tanker full of sand, and Lord Humongous is going to rule the post-SHTF world.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:15:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I started reading this thread and was ready for a snappy smart ass reply until I remembered I was in the tech forum..WTF????
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What he said!  

If you can't imagine this type situation after seeing it happen in real time then there's nothing else to say...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:30:28 AM EDT
[#37]
To use to protect yourself/family/outpost/provisions from those who did not prepare for when the SHTF?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I am wondering why this topic is in the technical forums?

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:06:04 AM EDT
[#39]
So tell me what scares you guys more the thought of being a supporting actor(doomed to be munched before the end credits) or the thought of Hilary Cliton being elected President?

Hmm maybe I should have started new string with a poll... oh well too late now.

On a completely unrelated note the gunshop guy called and said that my order was backlogged and I woyld have to wait 3 to 5 weeks  instead of the 3 to 5 days he promised......

Must have pissed off the higher beings again....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#40]

it is all about the zombies dude
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TS

Exactly.

natural disasters and social unrest is probably going to be more frequent than zombies risings.......but thats on the list too

stock up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I left out the Zombies on purpose cause they are so slloooooooow.

not the zombies in 28 days later. intense.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Okokokok I am soooo down with this.

Without getting "preachy", it is a matter of facing the truth that there is evil in this world. You must confront evil with force. Unconfronted, evil spreads.

Evil comes in different flavors: terrorists, robbers, looters, rapists, burglars, rioters, etc... Basically, PEOPLE. Unfortunately, it is people we prepare to kill, not zombies, aliens, or Chuck Norris clones... People who are bent on doing evil.

As an Officer, I see the impact of evil on this world, and it has solidified my belief in the presence and pervasiveness of such. I don't plan to ever be a victim of evil. I prepare for it. [/preaching]

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#44]
I go with the Zombie attacks.  Speaking of Zombies...this book is pretty cool.  The author thinks of a lot.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=1400049628&itm=1

Sorry if this is a repost, I tried to search but you wouldn't (would?) believe how many times Zombies are mentioned on this site.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#45]
You guys need to check out Coast to Coast AM, 2012 is coming on us fast!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Some people have dead-end lives in the here and now so they fantasize about civization as we know it ending so they can try and be someone of some importance afterwards. .

+1 yes their are alot of anarchists / young persons / and straight up loosers within the firearms community. However they are in the minority.

Everybody needs to figure out for themselves what is probable, what is reasonable, and what is prudent. What I also would note - there are many on these boards that are not super vocal about this topic that are prepared, that do have sucessful productive lives in a professional capacity, that are community leaders and KNOW they will be tapped for leadership in the event of a major malfunction. For them it is a natural to shepard themselves, their immediate family, their extended family, their community, and their country.

Is it  probable given the sum total of all events - known or unknown that any of us may see a circumstance in which we would need to round up our family and rely on ourselves for as much as 2 weeks?

If the answer is yes, what would the reasonable and prudent  person want to have on hand?

In Burrito - you took issue with a comment that I made the other day regarding engagement ranges in the event of SHTF (500 - 900 yrds). Consider this, I have enough training and knowledge to know why I would prefer to be that far out in the event of a shooting.  Understand this, I love my life. I wish / pray / and hope that there will never be strife in my community or any other community  in America. As a fall back position, yes I have provisions for food / water / shelter / heat / meds / communication / transportation / and protection.  In short it is all relative. Some draw the line and say that storing these things is rediculous. Others would say that  having a CCW and being armed daily is rediculous. Others yet would say that having a spare tire, more than $5.00 worth of gas,  a spare key is rediculous. In the end it is kinda more about life experiences and life expectations. My experiences have taught me that nothing is 100% and at the end of the day - I am responsible for getting me and my family through any and everything.

Good luck

Take Care

Edited to add - anyone that truely dwells on this subject  - seek council beyond your close circle of associates. Life is truely wonderful and has so many opportunities if you will only make yourself available to them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

One Word:  Katrina

It really made me sit up and think.  The most common theme from the survivors of the storm and evacuation is:  don't depend on the government.  Depend on yourself.  Food, Water, Transporation, Cash, and Guns & Ammo to protect the first four.

That's not paranoia, just good planning.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#48]
It's pretty simple.......  If you are more prepared than the other 95%....

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
It's pretty simple.......  If you are more prepared than the other 95%....

www.auctionadvisory.com/lemming.jpg

Very funny and what a great way to sum it all up.

Great job!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm from the Golden Triangle Area, Texas and I dont remember hearing of L.E stopping sales of ammo and guns anywhere locally. Not saying they didn't, but I left late and returned early and never heard of that.
And yes we did have a zombie problem in Bmt. But they have all returned to, across the Neches River Bridge

Hello ManiacRat461 & Tigerstripe

SouthEast Texas Sportman's Club Member here.
Best Place I have found around to shoot.
Gets a little muddy out at the 350 to 425 yard range
And I Wish they would clear out father back maybe to at least 800 yds.
Me and a couple co-workers shoot there about every week.

Already a member  See tag or sig or whatever line below
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top