Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 1:38:26 PM EDT
I've got to replace the fixed stock on my bushmaster. I decided not to go with anything like the sopmod or magpul - just going to stick with the standard one. Without a pissing contest, does it matter if the tube is mil spec? I've seen CMT that are around $80, and other brands that are about $50 or more. Any justification in price difference?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:43:06 PM EDT
I have seen tubes too big to get a milspec stock to even slide over. I think Bushmaster was one of them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:44:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:45:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ranchhand:
I have seen tubes too big to get a milspec stock to even slide over. I think Bushmaster was one of them.

My main concern is an adverse affect in function. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 1:46:15 PM EDT by ALPHAGHOST]
i take it that you are talking about a 6pos M4 stock?

no, mil-spec does not matter to most of us; the tubing just provides more options, and some would say that its stonger as its "forged mil-spec" while the comercial brands probably arnt (RRA, bushy, etc)

go to eaglefirearms.net and get a RRA (non-mil spec) or the STAG (mil-spec) for less than $70

i would skip the leapers or other knockoffs for ~$40-$50
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:46:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
There is a difference in how the buffer tube is made.

+1 go with the CMT, it's properly made and will give you more options down the road should you change your mind. As a bonus it's cheaper than the Bushmaster one...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 1:52:36 PM EDT by Hostile1]
You guys are fast. Thanks for the info. I'm browsing EE dealers as we speak. Anyone want to help picking out a sling? Maybe I should replace the plate as Stickman suggested in a previous thread....I'm left handed, and would PREFER a plate that didn't have the loops on both sides. I think my options are fairly limited though.

ETA - I know the heavy buffers were made to slow down the full auto carbines, but would I gain anything by upgrading to a heavy buffer? thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:52:36 PM EDT
Wilderness Single Point (tm) is my choice. I prefer the HK style sling loops and I use a 1.25" QD sling swivel to attach my sling to the plate.

Yeah lefty plates are harder to find. One option is to buy a double plate then dremel off the loop you're not going to use. Touch up as required.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:53:19 PM EDT
You need the mil-spec (I hate that word) tube to ever put an aftermarket stock on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:55:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
You need the mil-spec (I hate that word) tube to ever put an aftermarket stock on.

Yeah, I'm just wondering if I should buy a "mil-spec" tube or just rockriver/cavalry/bushmaster tube (I'm sure you can tell I have no idea what I'm doing )
Top Top