Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:26:43 AM EDT
I was thinking about the new Magpul stock, which looks spectacular to say the least, and noticed something strange. When fully extended, it seems as if a gap is created where the cheek should rest. Which reminded me of the SCAR stock, where i was wondering whether the buttplate, in it's fully extended position, doesn't outreach the fixed position cheek piece. Comparing the SCAR and magpul stocks with, say, the Crane-type stock, where the cheekweld travels along with the stock as it is adjusted, it seems like an odd choice to fix the cheek piece at the beginning of the stock. Or maybe they're intended for people with long necks. Anyone else wonder about this?

edited to attach picture:

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5137/ca5bc26d4li.jpg
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I dunno, it kind of makes sense to me...

I prefer a nose-to-CH style, so my cheek is far up on the stock to begin with.
If the stock was designed around this concept, then it should fit shooters of all sizes
and they all experience the same cheekweld.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope. No mystery at all.

Military people are taught to shoot nose to charging handle. If you shoot NTCH the critical part of the stock (as it applies t cheek weld) is the part just aft of the receiver, so that's where the cheek weld surface is needed. And where MagPul put it.

Assuming NTCH, if you are shooting so far back on the stock that your face is in that gap at the rear, you're head is to far back.

If you are using optics, and the eye relief pushes you that far back, you need to reconsider your optics placement, and move it further forward.

If on the other hand, you don't shoot NTCH, then the Crane or Vltor may work better for you, as the cheek weld surface moves further back as you extend the stock.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I dunno, it kind of makes sense to me...

I prefer a nose-to-CH style, so my cheek is far up on the stock to begin with.
If the stock was designed around this concept, then it should fit shooters of all sizes
and they all experience the same cheekweld.

That definitely would make sense, providing that there is a consistent correlation between the lenght of your arms, and the lenght of your neck. Which could pretty well be the case. Obviously on the shorter settings, it's a moot point, because you're nose-to-ch anyway.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
No - it makes perfect sense.  Nose to charging handle, or just off.  All the time.

The extension of the stock is only to adjust length of pull.

One of the SHORTCOMINGS of the crane/vltor is that the stock must be collapsed significantly to benefit from the enhanced cheekweld surface.  When fully opened - you dont move your eye back farther just because you opened your stock up farther.  

That said - I love my VLTORs, but I learnt o shoot with them a bit more collapsed than I used to.... otherwise my cheek will be on the tube, and no on the stock, when I have the proper eye relief.

That magpul looks like it handles the issue perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That definitely would make sense, providing that there is a consistent correlation between the lenght of your arms, and the lenght of your neck. Which could pretty well be the case. Obviously on the shorter settings, it's a moot point, because you're nose-to-ch anyway.

No - you are always nose to charging handle.  Period.  You simply adjust the stock for the correct LOP for the shooting position you are in.  The stock setting doesn't (shoudn't) have any effect on proper eye placement.... or you are shooting incorrectly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No - you are always nose to charging handle.  Period.  You simply adjust the stock for the correct LOP for the shooting position you are in.  The stock setting doesn't (shoudn't) have any effect on proper eye placement.... or you are shooting incorrectly.

Check. Makes perfect sense to me now. Couldn't really imagine the bright guys at magpul and FN getting it wrong anyway.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top