Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:44:21 PM EDT
I don't post a lot on here but I love the web site.  The information is great and I really enjoy learning about all the latest toys.  Thanks everyone.

I like having a rifle in the car and with the latest purchase, a Nissan 350Z I did not want to leave a rifle in the hatch back area for everyone to see.  The car has a large storage compartment behind the passanger seat.  So I was going to try and fit a break-down rifle in there.

This project was about 8 months in the making.  I decided on a LMT MRP carbine and with some measuring I was pretty sure it was going to fit.

I have had Wes at mstn.biz build a rifle for me before and he was great to deal with and I knew he carried the MRP line.  So I shot Wes a email and ordered the upper.  As usual Wes came thru and I had my gun.  If your looking for any kind of custom AR-15 Wes is your man.  I have got to lose his email address or I am going to be broke!!!

The next part was having a buddy of mine make the t-handle torx wrench.  I looked all over the web and could not find one.  Thank goodness he is a machinest and had no trouble builidng me one.

The hardest part came with the case.  I looked all over the web to try and find something that would work and with no luck I thought I was out of luck.

Then I found out that we have a local tacitcal nylon maker here in town!!!  Great, I called him up and set up a appointment.  Andrew at www.magnumtactical.com was great.  I high recommend Andrew for any nylon work and he will have all of my business in the future.  He spent hours with me designing the case the first time I was there.  He gave me a call earlier this week and the case was ready.  The case is perfect and it fit just right in the storage compartment.  I think even Andrew enjoyed this project and loved that we fit a complete M4 and mags in the compartment.  The case has velcro on the inside and outside compartments so it can be arranged in any configuration.  The one thing left is Andrew is finishing the mags holders on the outside compartment and the ones in the picture are just temp.  So you guys with MRP give Andrew a call if your looking for a break-down case.

Here are the specs--

LMT MRP carbine upper
14.5" barrel with perm attached Knights flash suppressor
PMI gas buster charging handle
TROY front and rear sights
Falcon ladder covers
Trijicon TA-31 RCO for the M4 with Larue Mount
LMT standard bolt group
Knights front and rear quick detach sling mounts
Specter gear 3 point sling
LMT lower
LMT H Buffer
Tango Down Grip
Crane stock

HK M4 mags (4)
Otis Law Enforcement M4 Cleaning Kit
Custom t-handle torx wrench
CDI torx torque wrench set to 140

I think that is everything, enjoy the pics----

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Commercial1/8e39ad06.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Commercial1/2e80bd8c.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Commercial1/IMGP0047.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Commercial1/IMGP0048.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Commercial1/IMGP0049.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Commercial1/IMGP0050.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Commercial1/IMGP0051.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Commercial1/IMGP0052.jpg
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That rox!  Great job Shea...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome build!

Now, if you can just snap some pics of it in the Z...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
very nice
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
That is awesome
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
That is HOT!!!! I have been lusting after a LMT MRP for a while now.....Seeing it in that case is nuts!!

Congrats on a great setup!

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Very sweet and compact, by why carry something like that around in your car?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice rig, Andrew also made me a custom case for my MRP a year ago and it turned out great, he is great to work with.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice, VERY Nice!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:01:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats a great looking set up. Job well done
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:14:31 AM EDT
[#11]
so what is the torx wrench for?  

Just curious, have you timed yourself from say sitting in your car to having your weapon assembled and ready to go?  If so would you share?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just curious, have you timed yourself from say sitting in your car to having your weapon assembled and ready to go?  If so would you share?

The torque wrench is for barrel changes

One of the most valuable benefits of the MRP, is the ability to change barrels for mission specific use.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#13]
How much did it cost to have that bag made?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn! That's nice; I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice, I'd suggest you attach the barrel, sight it in, and leave it there  There would be some shift in its zero, however slight, when the barrel is removed and reattached.  Wes of MSTN and others have done the testing, my own experience certainly bears that out.
I removed the barrel just becaue I could (don't have another barrel to use, so I removed it to see what it's like ) and put it back in.  The zero changed, and because I didn't have a torque wrench, I didn't tighten the bolts enough and at the next range trip the barrel was shot loose.  Hence my recommendation that you just install the barrel and leave it alone
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The torque torx wrench is for barrel changes

One of the most valuable benefits of the MRP, is the ability to change barrels for mission specific use.

fixed it for ya

Yeah that's what i figured.  So i'm thinking on the order of 10 minutes or so, or an eternity if you need it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#17]
It's going to be a shame when that's stolen out of your car....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah, the theif will be disappointed it is not the laptop he thought he was swiping
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#20]
That's amazing!  I'm inquring about ordering one myself...  

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Commercial1/IMGP0048.jpg
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the theif will be disappointed it is not the laptop he thought he was swiping

"Don't know what this is, too bad it's not a Tec-9, yo."
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice set up!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#23]
That is awesome. I have never removed the barrel from my MRP. You could get a nice SKB case for airline travel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#24]
You need a place for the sound suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I got Wood!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The zero changed, and because I didn't have a torque wrench, I didn't tighten the bolts enough and at the next range trip the barrel was shot loose.  

Was there any damage to the gun?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#27]
That is damn cool.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#28]
nice
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#29]
No damage to the MRP when the barrel was loose, I oughta be thankful
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for all the comments, it was a long process putting everything together with only using the best equipment.  It did cost a pretty penny but in the end it was worth it--

Now to all the questions, I hope I answer them all--

curt,

You can put it together in about 2-3 minutes from start to finish.

rcoers,

On the price of the bag, I would suggest you give Andrew a call at Magnum Tactical and let him quote you a price.  This was a complete custom build and I don't want to quote anything.  He was awsome to deal with and I was just happy to have somebody undertake the project.  He spent hours with me the first time and almost half a day the second getting everything perfect.  Just one thing to remember this was designed for a 14.5" barrel and you may want to have him build one just a little longer if your running a 16" barrel.  The outside dimensions are 18.25" by 12.5" on my case.

Duffy,

I do understand there is a slight change in POI when I remove and reinstall the barrel but that was the only option to have it fit in such a compact space.  I do have a couple of other AR's that are set up different.

guardian855,

I have thought about the car being broke into.  It is in a very secure garage at work and at home and if I have any doubts it just comes with me.  It looks live a laptop case and looks appropiate with what I wear most of the time.  

twl,

I love your products and it and the MRP was the two I was looking at.  I do love the fact that yours requires no tools and that it uses standard AR barrels.  Now that your new upper is out with the new rail system (which looks great) I probably would rethink everything.  Give Andrew a call and I am sure he will be glad to hook you up with a case.  

rsilvers,

The gun was set up with a suppressor in mind.  The flash hider is a Knights quick detach and it already has the PMI gas buster charging handle.  I am looking at getting a Knights can hopefully sooner than later.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#31]
MAN I knew I shouldnt of click on this
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Awesome rifle and awesome car!  But, it's gonna be the car thief's best day ever when they jack your wheels and find a pimped out $3000 rifle in the back seat!  Seriously, dude, the car draws enough attention as it is...  And as fricking sweat as the case is, what's the point of keeping a rifle in your car if you can't bring it into action right away.  It does make for a very nice discreet carry case, but I'd maybe think about keeping a beater gun in the car.  You'd be surprised at how unsecure a "secure" parking garage really is.[

PS: I just wanted to use the pharoah smiley face because I naver have before.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
guardian855,

I have thought about the car being broke into.  It is in a very secure garage at work and at home and if I have any doubts it just comes with me.  It looks live a laptop case and looks appropiate with what I wear most of the time.  

Honestly, I don't know why I didn't think of you taking it with you.  That's my biggest concern to leaving a weapon in the car...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm surprised someone hasn't knocked these out in bulk.. I'm sure they'd sell well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#35]
That would go great with the 10.5" LMT build I'm about to do.

It would only have to be in 2 pieces.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top