Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2006 3:22:47 PM EDT
This may be in the wrong forum.But,here goes.

I'm a member to a range in Ohio.This range started out as a 1000 Yard Benchrest range.It has a nice setup there. But we are expanding to different disiplines.The owner of the range is AR15 friendly.He knows his well. We are thinking about a match towards the end of April.We need some help here from the members of ARFCOM.

The owners interests are in many shooting disiplines.

IMHO- This is an excellent oppertunity to have a say.I'm not a benchrest shooter.I have the gas guns,tactical rifles,hunting rifles and archery equipment.He does too but we want some formats of what other shooters want.

Thunder Valley Rifle Club
http://www.coshoctonchamber.com/ohio1000.htm
Owner/Operator: Tom Sarver  [email protected]
(740) 545-5002

Here is a listing  of what happens at Thunder Valley:

March 25th -.308 Challenge
April 1st- .50BMG Funshoot
1000 Yard Matches
600 Yard Matches
1 Mile Matches
Varmint Matches 100-1000 yards
Tactical Matches
Handgun
Shotgun
Muzzleloader
Benchrest School for Precision Shooting
Spot and Stalk course
3-D Archery

We are talking about gas-gun competitions.  

Suggestions Welcomed

Thank You,

Van
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
What about a 3 gun match with shotgun,pistol and carbine/rifle or a service rifle match.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep em' coming.

Like I said,this is opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Five quick suggestions (I'll come back later).

Edit your post to say where in Ohio this range is, ie 50 miles north of Dayton, so people know where it is.

Post something similar in the "Competition" forum under the GENERAL tab.  

Matches are geography bound (people have to drive to them) so post something similar in the OHIO forum in the HOMETOWN tab.

Hometown folks will also know if there are other similar matches planned that will conflict with your plans and preclude your getting good attendance.

Contact the NRA, they have people that will help

Regards

ETA:  I went to the web-site, what a great facility !!  
Thunder Valley Rifle Club
Made a link for you
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I want to see this place offer conventional position shooting like NRA Highpower, NRA Prone Mid Range, or NRA Prone Long Range.  That is all I am interested in.

By the way, this place is in Coshocton:

That's a 3 hr drive.......

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought I'd see you in this pretty soon, SWO_daddy
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought I'd see you in this pretty soon, SWO_daddy

This is going to be a hard sell with Miami Rifle just 75 minutes away and Camp Atterbury just over 2 hrs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish I knew how to post pictures.The couple on the home page don't do enough justice for the range.I know the website is being updated soon.

The first time I saw this place I knew I had to belong as a member.The owner built it because he is a shooter.And he loves the shooting sports.In 2004 the IBS 1000 Yard nationals were held there.I'll get the statistics on how many guns were there.

The Highpower Guys will probably be disappointed,right now.But things may change.
This is why I have this post. I'm not saying there is a butt system installed or NRA Highpower competitions are held there. I'm just fishing for ideas.

The possibilities fall short of what happens at Knob Creek,KY to Olympic Biatholon skiing.The shooters can decide.Hell,we could even plink at cans at any range.If the shooter is up to it.

The owner an I were talking about an all GAS GUN Competition.

FORMAT:Bring what you got and have plenty of ammo.Be prepared to engage targets from 25 - 600 yards. I think we could do 1000 yards if the shooter is up to it.

I think this would be worth the drive.If you won,you could walk away with more than bragging rights.You could make more friends in the shooting world.  

Thanks,

Van
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Great announcement, tungsten!

I wish my area had such a facility - and the willingness you speak of

Great range facilities are tough to find, and those who have access should thank their lucky stars, and the range management.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:59:45 AM EDT
[#9]
lok at setting up ipsc, or idpa both pistol and rifle. I am some one from USPSA would be glade to help. You can dl rules and view different stage designs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
3 GUN!!!  USPSA rules only!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#11]
If I were to go to a match I'd really like to see a wet t-shirt contest. . .  or a bikini contest. . . . and maybe some donuts. . . .
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the responses keep em' coming.

SWO_daddy :Thats a nice map ,thanks. The range is not in the town of Coschocton,OH.It is actually outside the town by about 10 miles(SSE).

Gregory_K :   USPSA   3 Gun Matches        
                     We will look into that. Is there any other info?

Thanks Again,

Van

Wanted to add......

redfisher : It is a good thing.

HEADACHE : I could talk to Tom about getting those Benchrest Cheerleaders(he knows what I'm talking about) to do this event also. They don't come too cheap.    
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]
bastards.  when i was looking for ranges in oh, all i found was briar rabbit and miami.  near columbus.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
My local club does an action rifle match every month. It has 5 stages of fire. Each stage has a different type of skill sets.

One stage has targets from 100-150-200 yards focusing on longer ranges of fire.

One stage is always short 15 yards or less requiring head shots and using a lot of barricades.

One stage has targets from 5-25 yards and mulitiple shooting positions, prone, kneeling standing.

One stage has targets from 100-5 yards as you traverse down range, lotsof running.  
It also incorporates obstacles, tunnels etc.

One stage has 2-3 times more targets and an extremely high round count. 25-35 targets

This is a pretty good mix for different levels of shooters. There are lots of variations on each stage. It depends on what kinds of ranges you have available.

As far as 3 gun matches I love them, but I think you need to ease into them. Get a couple action rifle matches under your belt then do a three gun. Our local club does a three gun quarterly.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My local club does an action rifle match every month. It has 5 stages of fire. Each stage has a different type of skill sets.

One stage has targets from 100-150-200 yards focusing on longer ranges of fire.

One stage is always short 15 yards or less requiring head shots and using a lot of barricades.

One stage has targets from 5-25 yards and mulitiple shooting positions, prone, kneeling standing.

One stage has targets from 100-5 yards as you traverse down range, lotsof running.  
It also incorporates obstacles, tunnels etc.

One stage has 2-3 times more targets and an extremely high round count. 25-35 targets

This is a pretty good mix for different levels of shooters. There are lots of variations on each stage. It depends on what kinds of ranges you have available.

As far as 3 gun matches I love them, but I think you need to ease into them. Get a couple action rifle matches under your belt then do a three gun. Our local club does a three gun quarterly.

Hope this helps.

I'd like to see a range where a civilian could go and shoot those pop up targets at different ranges in a similar format that the army does.  That would be great.  Instead of just round circles at known distances.  But I probably wont attend your event, that's just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#16]
      Tung,
I started 3gun at our local range and it turned out to be a lot of fun. We only had a few matches a year and now, put one on almost every month. I have shot about seven different disciplines and 3gun is by far my favorite (most fun) Learning to move safely with your rifle, pistol and shotgun is a blast!
     Having a small gun club we adjusted the rules (3gun) a little to make scoring easier. This also helped with getting new shooters to try it. Nobody has any race guns. Most shooters use 16inARs, Glocks and pump shotguns.
     Stages are fun to design, with everyones favorite being shooting from a moving trailer. The skys the limit on stage design.
    Give it a try.
VM
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#17]
tungsten, Ohio has only two ranges with 1000 yard lines for prone shooting: Camp Perry and some private club east of Cleveland.

If you can talk your buddy into putting in some target pits (how do you guys shoot 1K BR?) and making some space between the 1K yrd benches for prone, I'm sure enough shooters from Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and southern Michigan will show up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#18]
less range officials...............
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#19]
These are great replies....

To answer a couple questions..............

c3502: Were these timed events ? Did you have good turnout? How many shooters on average?

JJREA:We have been discussing LaRue targets.Unknown distance is a good thing to practice/understand.Come down from Wisconsin sometime!I'll go up for some fishing!

Varmint-Mister: There are not alot of raceguns around here.We have about the same mix here as you do.  

SWO_daddy: It is unfortunate I can not tell you that we have a Butt System installed,yet.There is now a 600 yard line along with the 1000 yard line.When the range was designed,there were no accomendations/plans for the butts.But , this has not been ruled out.There has been talk about F-Class. I would like to see it sometime.I have a couple rifles that might be competitive.(open,F T/R).
Since you are in Ohio, stop out sometime and see the range.Maybe shoot some.

rogue007: Less range officials........maybe.
                  Less safety.........NEVER

Keep Em' Coming,

Van                  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
These are great replies....

To answer a couple questions..............

c3502: Were these timed events ? Did you have good turnout? How many shooters on average?

JJREA:We have been discussing LaRue targets.Unknown distance is a good thing to practice/understand.Come down from Wisconsin sometime!I'll go up for some fishing!

Varmint-Mister: There are not alot of raceguns around here.We have about the same mix here as you do.  

SWO_daddy: It is unfortunate I can not tell you that we have a Butt System installed,yet.There is now a 600 yard line along with the 1000 yard line.When the range was designed,there were no accomendations/plans for the butts.But , this has not been ruled out.There has been talk about F-Class. I would like to see it sometime.I have a couple rifles that might be competitive.(open,F T/R).

rogue007: Less range officials........maybe.
                  Less safety.........NEVER

Keep Em' Coming,

Van                  

Yeah, my dad and I have gotten some equipment from adco and want to visit sometime.  Maybe we'd have to do a road trip.  If you get set up for a pop up target range or something similar,  I'd probably for sure have to make a trip sometime.  I belong to a very very good range in WI.  It has a a 600 yard range.  But it is basically a highpower / military type facility.  The only place where you can really have fun and shoot at different things at different distances is the 25 meter range.  Which you can shoot out to like 75 yards on the berms if you set stuff up but it would really be nice to do a course of fire of 300 yards with some type of reactive targets.  Thanks for listening.  Sounds like you got a nice range, especially if you're asking for feedback.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There has been talk about F-Class. I would like to see it sometime.

Van, having F-class and conventional sling shooters side by side is not a problem.  They do now use different targets (F-Class scoring rings are 1/2 the size of Conv targets), but I would bet that shooters will pay reasonable fees to cover that.

I will try to stop by, thanks for the invitation.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top