Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2006 8:23:19 AM EDT
Hi there folks, I have a dumb question about my new Colt 6721 carbine.  I was just looking it over and noticed that the two Fire Control Group pins are sliding quite freely back and forth in the receiver with just a little finger pressure.  Is this normal?

I noticed this while pulling the trigger while the gun was uncocked (already pulled the trigger on to "uncock" FCG).  As I sat there watching and pulling the uncocked trigger back and then letting it up, I noticed the glean of oil weeping in and out of the pin closest to the mag release.  

At that point I went to wipe the excess oil away from the pin and it immediately started to drift to the left.  The rearmost pin slides some but not as easily.  When I recock the action, the pins go quite tight again and cannot be moved my hand.  hat
My carbine was last fired at the factory (I presume), as I've not had a chance to go to the range yet.  Also, I noticed that there is a moderate amount of lubricant (a light oil of some type) continually oozing from the action around the pins, charging handle, take down pins and ejection port to a lesser degree.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds as if the springs are installed incorrectly. Is this a new to you lower or a completely new one? I'd call Colt and send it back to be installed correctly.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#2]
This is an entirely new rifle straight out of the box
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I've been looking at it and opened the upper/lower.  Everything in the FCG seems to be there and positioned correctly.  So, I also took the cap of a ink pen and pushed pretty hard on either side of the hammer pin (with the hammer uncocked) and it will not slide free from either side of the receiver.  

However, using the pen cap on the trigger pin will dislodge it if I push pretty hard and I can drift it out the right side of the receiver.  I didn't pull it out all the way, but slid it back to center and heard a slight "click" indicating to me that the hammer spring re-engaged the slot on the left side of the trigger pin.  

I'm now wondering if the "drift" that I am seeing, while small, yet annoying to me, may be normal.

[
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as the FCG pins snaps in place and it takes some effort to push them out it's fine.

Make sure the hammer spring is on top of your trigger pin, the hammer spring retains the trigger pin and rest on the trigger pin notch.

Here's a reference thread, it have a lot of info about building a rifle but just look at the trigger info.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782&page=1

You could also help if you wish by entering the info of your gun on the survey of Colt 6721 data base by team member Ekie.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=271173

Got a picture of your new carbine?

Congrats.

Pic of my 6721 with mid-length gas system barrel
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys, thanks for all the input.  I think I'm going to see how things go at the range and if there's no pins walking out, then I'm going to forget about it.   If there is an issue, I'll be checking out KNS for a solution.

Here are some pics:

Okay, forget the pics, I've posted pics tons of other times (on other websites), but ARF will not let me right now for some reason.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey guys, thanks for all the input.  I think I'm going to see how things go at the range and if there's no pins walking out, then I'm going to forget about it.   If there is an issue, I'll be checking out KNS for a solution.

Here are some pics:

Okay, forget the pics, I've posted pics tons of other times (on other websites), but ARF will not let me right now for some reason.

Posting pictures in threads link

Good luck.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top