Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 1:00:56 AM EDT
I am wondering what the cheapest way would be to be able to convert an ar to .22 and be able to go back to 223 when i want it to. Ive seen a supposed kit without a barrel, it was just the bolt i think, and the owner said it isnt necessary to buy a whole new upper, is this true.

Also what makes a gun an m4gery?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#1]
There are kits that replace the bolt/bolt carrier and buffer with other parts, these can be added to allow use of .22lr in .223/5.56mm AR's.  The term M4gery means an attempt to have a civilian legal carbine as close to a military issue M4 as possible.  It means generally an M4 clone.

TS
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The conversion kit is a Ceiner (sp?) I've got one and it works great with normal 22lr ammo.  Subsonic stuff fires but doesn't cycle.  I think I paid ~150 for the kit which included a 10 round mag.  All you do is swap out your bolt carrier group with the ceiner "bolt carrier group" and change to the ceiner mag and you're done.  I was shooting red squierls at ~60 yards with the ceiner and a red dot.  Tigerstripe explained the m4gery perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:08:45 AM EDT
[#3]
but what makes a gun an m4gery, what parts. Im getting a kit from del ton and am thinking about that one. Thanks for the imput, i am very happpy i found a way  to shoot 22 out of the gun. thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
but what makes a gun an m4gery,

A true M4 is a miltary full auto rifle. An M4gery is any civilian rifle modeled after the M4 but semi-auto.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
You're better off in the long run buying a .22 upper WITH associated bolt, mag, etc.

The .22 bullet fired through the throat of a .223 upper has too far to go before it engages the actual bore.

DPMS and other make upper conversions.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand the "better off in the long run" comment unless the goal is to spend more money and he did say "the cheepest way". I have a Ciener conversion which will fire every high speed 22 brand I've put through it. I bought it from Midway on sale for I think $89, never had a malfunction. and it shoot nice tight groups. Left my regular squirrel rifle in the safe and took the conversion hunting , The result was many dead squirrels. You can swap out the bolts in under 2 minutes. The point of impact changes slightly, but with a little experimentation yolu can learn to index the sight to the round fired and adjust accordingly. But for engaging full sized siloettes(sp) it's a non issue.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
what is midway?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what is midway?

www.midwayusa.com

Great place to get gun stuff.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]
i just went to midways website and couldnt find the 22 conversion kits. Can anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
i was just reading that the 22 coming out of the 223 upper is bad and will affect the accuracy of the 223 when fired out of a gun used to shoot lots of 22s through it. Is this true?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:38:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i just went to midways website and couldnt find the 22 conversion kits. Can anyone else?

Is this what your looking for?

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=498275

Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:07:26 AM EDT
[#12]
"was just reading that the 22 coming out of the 223 upper is bad and will affect the accuracy of the 223 when fired out of a gun used to shoot lots of 22s through it. Is this true?"

yes with qualifications. .22lr will leave lead deposits in a 22 rifle or pistol. that is what bronze bore brushes in .22lr are for. send that bullet down a .223 bore, it will happen also. do it a lot, without cleaning, and it will affect accuracy. Also, the .223 has a gas-system. there is a hole in the rifle barrel to allow gas to flow to move the bolt. the lead can partially/completely fill that hole, depending on amount & type of usage. using copper plated ammo like winchester dynapoints/remington golden bullets etc can cause less problem. I've heard that shooting a mag or 2 of .223 after shooting 22lr in your conversion, once switched back to regular bolt, will have similar effect. I can't say, since I use a dedicated 22lr upper.
you don't have to spend a lot of cash for a dedicated 22lr upper. find a junk upper or cheap bbl, have a local gunsmith install a 22lr bbl liner. it isn't expensive, and will work fine. one quality guy who does this is www.american-manufacture.com     Mike Klos has a note about this on his web page.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

No it isnt mr wilson, but thanks for looking. What i am looking for is just the bolt assembly conversion kit so i can shoot 22lr outta my 223 dedicated upper.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
but what makes a gun an m4gery, what parts. Im getting a kit from del ton and am thinking about that one. Thanks for the imput, i am very happpy i found a way  to shoot 22 out of the gun. thanks guys

True 14.5" or 16" barrel with cut outs on barrel for mounting of an M203
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

No it isnt mr wilson, but thanks for looking. What i am looking for is just the bolt assembly conversion kit so i can shoot 22lr outta my 223 dedicated upper.

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR059-21126-1884.html
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top