BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want the most lethal package in the shortest envelope possible, bullpups are the only way to go.

FN has solved the ambi issue well with the F2000 so ejection patterns can be a moot point in the correct configuration

And there are tons of toys for the FAMAS and AUG. Just because you dont see them in your Main Street, USA gun shop doesnt mean those guns dont have robust rail systems and aftermarket support. Why would you since those guns arent even sold here.

Century Arms use to import the FAMAS, and I am hoping this is a practice they resume by some means. Firing Mk 262 Mod 1 from 20" barrel in a Colt commando sized package makes me giddy with joy.

And FWIW, I think bullpups are some of the most nicely balaced military style weapons you can buy. "Tail heavy" is much better than nose heavy, which is what most AR15's are, especially when you start piling shit on it
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
LMAO.

Dude, the M4 fits a lot better.  I'm not about to spend 3 grand on one to find out what else is wrong with it.

Yeah, I could get a new optic on a flat top.  I would, if I got an AUG.

An yeah, they were ahead of their time.  So was the HK VP70.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
But an AUG A3 for $1299 would be interesting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
How about an AUG-clone?

Simon
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
FN has solved the ambi issue well with the F2000 so ejection patterns can be a moot point in the correct configuration

FN has 'solved' the ambi issue with a design that is, IMHO a disaster waiting to happen if deployed outside of a (relatively) clean urban environment...

Most rifles have a very LARGE ejection port to allow cases to clear the weapon and avoid jamming. The FN2000 has a small tube the size of a .223 case.

If that tube gets jammed with FOD, or if a case doesn't make it all the way in & gets caught in the bolt, you are fucked...

Further, the FN2000 makes it harder to fix any potential jams, since the ejection port (Which is usually how you reach into the breach area & clear out malfunctions) is hooked into the ejection-tube system...

It's an interesting concept, but I'd be a little suspicious of it's 'field readiness'....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FN has 'solved' the ambi issue with a design that is, IMHO a disaster waiting to happen if deployed outside of a (relatively) clean urban environment...

Most rifles have a very LARGE ejection port to allow cases to clear the weapon and avoid jamming. The FN2000 has a small tube the size of a .223 case.

If that tube gets jammed with FOD, or if a case doesn't make it all the way in & gets caught in the bolt, you are fucked...

Further, the FN2000 makes it harder to fix any potential jams, since the ejection port (Which is usually how you reach into the breach area & clear out malfunctions) is hooked into the ejection-tube system...

It's an interesting concept, but I'd be a little suspicious of it's 'field readiness'....

I'm not trying to flame you or start a big fight, but does anyone actually have reports of any problems with semi-auto fire (or full auto for that matter) on the FN2000 causing jams because of the ejection port.

I agree with a lot of the logic of what you are saying, but on the other hand, FN is one of the oldest and most successful modern military firearms companies, with a ton of experience...

So I really wonder if this is a REAL problem, or jsut a guess based on an unfamiliar new design approach?

Again, not trying to attack you - but just wondering what first-hand accounts there are of any troubles with this system, or if it is purely based on rumor and supposition.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep they look kinda strange, but don't worry for those of you who like strapping crap to your rifles, you still can

Note you can have a laser, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was out plinking/shooting with my buddies yesterday, and we had a slew of different weapons to pick from.  FAL, HK91s, AR-15's AR-10, Socom II, ect... And my buddies AUG.  We have this target that's an IDPA silhouette with a small head sized target that flips from shoulder to shoulder when you hit it.  We had it out at 75yds.  With all the other guns, I had to take a knee in order to accurately hit the spinner.  With the AUG, I was able to hit it consistently and quickly from an offhand position.

I'm pretty sure this was because the AUG is extremely well balanced and not front heavy in the slightest.  Virtually all my point of aim movement that I normally get in an offhand position was eliminated.  The weapon felt like an extension of my body more than any other firearm.  It has great ergonomics.  It seems to me that the AUG is a great design for offhand shooting, which is the purpose of most assault rifles.  Changing mags isn't all that hard.  The paddle mag release is easy to find without looking at, and if was fairly easy to index and insert the mag by feel.  Since the AUG isn't a target rifle, a long trigger pull is no big deal.  I kinda like the trigger, since it moves straight back like a 1911, instead of pivoting like most triggers.

If I could own an AUG for the same price as an AR, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  A high price-tag can make a weapon system less palatable, making people more prone to point out it's inadequacies.  All weapon systems have strengths and weaknesses.  AUGs and other Bullpups, have their place.  Besides, most of us here shoot for sport and fun, so who gives a damn about which is the “better” weapon?  If you like your rifle, and have fun shooting it, that should be good enough.

+1   If bullpups were cheaper than AR15s, most of us would be using them.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top