Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/9/2006 9:57:17 AM EDT

Is it possible to toast a barrel if only fired in semi auto? W/o bump firing ? and if it is, how would you know when it is cooked?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:29:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By indianaman:

Is it possible to toast a barrel if only fired in semi auto? W/o bump firing ? and if it is, how would you know when it is cooked?

Insert a clean dry toothpick into the barrel, then pull it out. If it's not too moist and no barrel sticks to the toothpick, you're barrel is cooked properly. I would suggest a red wine to go with an AR of any variety. Bon Apetite!

Seriously the answer can be found using the following equation:

75,690 / 10 = 7,569. Determine the square root of 7,569 and all things will become known.

Sly
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:32:00 AM EDT

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:34:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By I-M-A-WMD:

Insert a clean dry toothpick into the barrel, then pull it out. If it's not too moist and no barrel sticks to the toothpick, you're barrel is cooked properly. I would suggest a red wine to go with an AR of any variety. Bon Apetite!

Seriously the answer can be found using the following equation:

75,690 / 10 = 7,569. Determine the square root of 7,569 and all things will become known.

Sly

ummmm 87
gee you are super kewl don't you have to frag a noob on halo or something
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:35:36 AM EDT
If you mean, is it possible to shoot out a barrel using only semi-auto fire, then yes. The speed of wear will be determined by the barrel's composition, chrome lined barrels last longer. I hope this is what you meant, otherwise, see the bunny pic. MJD
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:37:15 AM EDT
sorry on my wording. i found it on The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site

Maximum rate of aimed semiautomatic fire is 45 rounds/minute.

Sustained rate of fire is 12 to 15 rounds per minute. At this rate the barrel will never overheat to the point rounds are able to 'cook off' (rounds fire due to the heat of the chamber - an uncontrolled 'full auto' kind of effect).

To 'Cook Off' you would need to fire off 140 round in full auto (or VERY quickly in semi-auto). This 'Cook Off' point is for A1, A2, or M4 profile barrels (HBARS would take more rounds). At this point you have a DANGER of 'Cook Off', but it is not guaranteed.

thx anyway

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:41:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 10:58:02 AM EDT by Variablebinary]

Not likely. I have taken carbine classes in open sun in the desert, 100 degrees outside, and my barrels have never been destroyed or cooked in one sitting. I use HBARS though and swap barrels and bolts every 15k rounds. Never had a cook off either
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:41:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 10:44:02 AM EDT by hk940]

Sustained rate of fire is 12 to 15 rounds per minute. At this rate the barrel will never overheat to the point rounds are able to 'cook off' (rounds fire due to the heat of the chamber - an uncontrolled 'full auto' kind of effect).

To 'Cook Off' you would need to fire off 140 round in full auto (or VERY quickly in semi-auto). This 'Cook Off' point is for A1, A2, or M4 profile barrels (HBARS would take more rounds). At this point you have a DANGER of 'Cook Off', but it is not guaranteed.

thx anyway

you won't get FULL AUTO.
what you get is a round cooking off and puking outthe end of the gun. and maybe doing it again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:56:39 AM EDT
Reading you post again, maybe it isn't as vague as I first thought.

Yes, you can wear out a barrel through ordinary semi-auto use. It's just as any other machine w/ moving parts. Friction will always be a factor, & every barrel will have a service life. The faster you fire the weapon, the hotter the barrel gets and thus the more accelerated the wear.

There are magnifying bore scopes so you can see the condition of the rifling as well as various measurements which are used by some to determine the wear present on a barrel. However, IMO the best way to determine if the barrel is shot out is if there is loss of accuracy. Once it doesn't meet you're expectation of how the barrel should perform, then it's no good. Some serious competitors run very few rounds before swapping barrels. Others would buy those used barrels as they would still meet their expectations.

In a way it's an individual interpretation of what constitutes a worn out barrel. There's enough variable factors that to guess a round count would be akin to asking how many clicks can a Bic pen click before a Bic pen won't click no more The first time I read your post, that's what I thought you were asking so I hit you with the standard issued 87 reply. Which coincidentally is the exact click count before a Bic pen won't click no more.

Sly
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:05:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:07:12 AM EDT
Now I see you were trying to address a "cook-off". When you said "toast" & "cooked" I thought you meant, as in "done" or worn out and thought you were just shooting for a cooking themed post...

A cook-off will be apparent becuase the heat of the chamber causes the powder to ignite. In effect, the round is fired although you never pulled the trigger. IMO, that would be hard to miss. Cook-offs reiterate the importance of muzzle awareness.

Sly
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:21:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hk940:

thx anyway

you won't get FULL AUTO.
what you get is a round cooking off and puking outthe end of the gun. and maybe doing it again.

Well, it would be "full auto" in that would wouldn't have to pull the trigger to fire, but the rate of fire would not be "full auto".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:19:54 PM EDT
I was afraid I may have ruined my new barrel by firing 120 rnds as fast as I could reload and pull the trigger, starting with an already hot barrel. I did manage to melt the lip off my hand guard under the hand guard cap but my barrel is fine. I think it's good to test every rifles ability to function when hot at least once.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:59:56 PM EDT
Has anyone actually had a round "cook off" in a firearm they were using?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:09:11 AM EDT
i'm not sure but i did see a videa awhile back where a guy was trying to cook it he kept dumping mags at full auto and even put his rifle in a puddle of water. he was showing off a barrel or something. i cant find it now though.
Top Top