Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2006 6:16:13 AM EDT
How much of an accuarcy difference is there between a bbl ar15 with a 20 inch and one with a 24 inch barrell at 250 -300 yards??

It may already have been covered but the search I ran didn't pull anything up.

Would appericate any help.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]
24" barrel will result in more down range velocity
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
While I have the time and your attention can I use the same manual for bushmaster to work on a DPMS??
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
yes
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]
none
only change will be in a slightly higher velocity

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 No difference in accuracy. Larger sight radius, depending on your sight configuration.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Larger sight radius, depending on your sight configuration.

most of the 20in and 24in ARs i have seen run w/ a rifle lenght tube....FSB/gas block being at the same place--how can you get a longer sight radius w/ the 24in over the 20in (disregarding where you put your rear sights)?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#8]
18 varmint by RRA would be cool for your range! and it can do almost anything a 20 can do
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

most of the 20in and 24in ARs i have seen run w/ a rifle lenght tube....FSB/gas block being at the same place--how can you get a longer sight radius w/ the 24in over the 20in (disregarding where you put your rear sights)?

I said that just in case he did not have the normal gas block/sight and possibly was going to put one on the end of his barrel. Thats why I said "depending on your sight configuration".
I've seen one person who sometimes folds down his rail mounted FS (or removes it) and puts a special FS on the end of his barrel.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]
4"
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
4"

Glad someone said it.  Saved me the trouble.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said that just in case he did not have the normal gas block/sight and possibly was going to put one on the end of his barrel. Thats why I said "depending on your sight configuration".
I've seen one person who sometimes folds down his rail mounted FS (or removes it) and puts a special FS on the end of his barrel.

ah; i know what you said, i was just asking

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:49:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Well I was thinking of buying this variant.....

PANTHER™ BULL TWENTY
(RFA2-BULL20-A3)
Barrel:
• 20” Stainless steel
• Bull barrel
• 6 groove, right-handed1x9 twist, button rifled

Chamber:
• .223 Rem.

Method of Operation:
• Gas operated rotating bolt

Bolt & Carrier:
• Phosphated 8620 steel bolt & bolt carrier, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec.

Sights:
• None (mounting optics only)

Weight:
• Empty - 9.5 lbs

Length:
• 38 7/16”

Upper Receiver:
• Forged 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
• Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
• A3 Flattop
• Dust cover
• Shell deflector
• Round forward assist
• Right hand ejection

Lower Receiver:
• Forged 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
• Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
• Semi-auto trigger group
• Aluminum trigger guard
• Magazine release button

Stock:
• Standard A2 black Zytel mil spec w/trap door assembly

Handguards:
• Aluminum free float

For the moment I was going to put an old bushnell 3-10 * 40mm scope on it.

After I get back on the job I'll probally get a better trigger and scope for it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
4"

Glad someone said it.  Saved me the trouble.

4 inches barrel difference= 40 dollars less, under 40" overall lentgh( easier to carry and store), and 3/10 lbs lighter....

Some differences but main reason I am getting the 20 inch AR is for predator control..

Coyotes just arrived in my area and started eating smaller pets, chickens, and goats, but after packs start froming up my newborn calves are next.

Needed something realible, semiautomatic(when calling more than one shows up), and with a good amount of after market add-ons available(spotlights, 20 round mags>> just to make sure they dont get back up)

Besides have my Remington 700 233 24" bull bbl for past 300 yards.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 on no difference at that range-- and this is coming from someone who is an advocate of longer bbls over shorter ones for accuracy.  The greater velocity you'll get with the 24" vs. the 20" will mean more windbucking.  Although this added velocity -via less wind effect- equates to both better grouping and an easier time calling the wind (and therefore an easier time getting your group's center on the center of your target), at 300 yards that bullet just hasn't been out there long enough for the velocity difference to matter.  And same with the trajectory, as someone else mentioned.

+1 on sight radius stuff too.

I don't mean to be redundant here by just agreeing with what others have said (though I guess I'm kind of disagreeing if anyone's saying that added velocity and sight radius have no effect on accuracy PERIOD, including truly long range).  I'm  just letting you know that even a certified LONG RANGE ACCURACY NUT who cares a lot about bbl length thinks that for your purposes a 24" has little to offer over a 20".
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:45:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys I really appreciate your help.he
Anyone know somewhere to get some strudy 10 round mags that I can order over phone or net?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:02:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Longer sight radius is only a factor when shooting irons. With optics, there is not difference other than muzzle velocity. I'd be more concerned with twist rate. I'd about be that you'll be calling the critters during early morning and early evening. Kinda hard to use irons in that kind of light.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top