Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2006 2:10:07 PM EDT
I have bought a Bushmaster over the net and it was delivered to my dealer today.  I am going to pick it up tomorrow.  Are there any ways to positively dtermine if the rifle is NIB as was stated? The Bushmaster is a 16" HBAR A3 with 6 pos. stock and A2 flash suppressor. Thank you for any help.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have bought a Bushmaster over the net and it was delivered to my dealer today.  I am going to pick it up tomorrow.  Are there any ways to positively dtermine if the rifle is NIB as was stated? The Bushmaster is a 16" HBAR A3 with 6 pos. stock and A2 flash suppressor. Thank you for any help.

I would say if it looks and feels spankin' new, it probably is.

Pull the bolt back and look at the front bolt face.  If there is any color than black/gray (like brass or shiny wear patterns.) ...then it has probably been fired.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they were all test fired? But how many rounds. I suppose you could look at the hammer face to check for wear.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Even most NIB firearms have been fired at the factory.  The best way to tell is if the box is still sealed and the packing is in perfect order.

It is almost impossible to open up a NIB gun and get all of the damn packing bags and paper back in order without adding some extra folds, etc.

The definition of NIB is also somewhat vague as some think the box should be unopened, while others consider a gun that has spent time out of its box at a gunshow being handled as NIB.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Obviously, make sure it is in the original box with original packing materials and manuals, warranty cards, etc.  Missing these would be the first and most obvious sign, though they can be had from the manufacturer usually for free if they are missing.

It will have been test fired at the factory at the very least, so expect some signs that it has been fired. Look at the flash hider for excessive fouling.  There will be some, but not much.  Also just look over the rifle for general dings that would come from living in a safe or shelf or being carried around, even without firing. Some light scratches are normal for NIB, deeper ones are not and certainly nothing that would show bare aluminum.

The Bolt locking lugs, bolt carrier, cam, charging handle and the corresponding inside areas of the upper receiver should still have most of the original finish present, not worn away through repeated use.  The rifle would have been actuated several times during final assembly, then again during test fire phases of manufacture, but nothing more than that unless the gun was sitting on some dealer's shelf and fondled a lot by tire-kicking customers.

It's very subjective, but just keep an eye open for wear that falls outside of test firing or shipping the firearm.  As long as the gun works, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
smell it

check for the regular packaging, finish markigs (hopefully lack of), bolt wear
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Bushmaster test fires three (maybe?) rounds through it before it leaves the factory, so your bolt face won't be perfect....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at the Brass deflector.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Lick it.  You'll know, oh you'll know...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lick it.  You'll know, oh you'll know...

That's what I did.  And then I opened it up and I @#$% !&%$ #$(!#!)#$ ) $#%!

Then I cleaned it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Look at the Brass deflector.

That's not always the best way.  The brass deflector can have brass on it from the test firing at the factory.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a few more things to look at in addition to what's already been posted..

Hammer face should be uniformly black, it may be a little grey where it makes contact but not shiny to a point where the finish is gone. If it's been dry fired a lot then you will see wear as if it was fired, however the following item will tell you if it's dry fire or actual fire. Look at the buffer face where the bolt carrier makes contact. If it has a full circle of wear on it with some indentation then it's seen more than a factory test fire, dry firing will not cause a 'carrier pattern wear' on the face of the buffer assembly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here's a few more things to look at in addition to what's already been posted..

Hammer face should be uniformly black, it may be a little grey where it makes contact but not shiny to a point where the finish is gone. If it's been dry fired a lot then you will see wear as if it was fired, however the following item will tell you if it's dry fire or actual fire. Look at the buffer face where the bolt carrier makes contact. If it has a full circle of wear on it with some indentation then it's seen more than a factory test fire, dry firing will not cause a 'carrier pattern wear' on the face of the buffer assembly.

+1

Also look at all the visible places on the gas tube for heat discoloration. Its usually found on the gas tube near the FSB by looking through the top hole of the handguard...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top