User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]
i wonder if colt would sell to al qaida* if they could do so using discretion.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Professionals know what works and what doesn't.  Adds target the uninformed who are more likely to go for whatever looks mean and is tacticool...  The people that rely on the AR as a life safety tool will have testing programs in place to determine what works and what doesn't or they will just go with Mil Spec which is the most exaustive test to date.  

The long and short of it is that if you need adds to impress and inform you, then you can probably get by with a lot less rifle than a Colt.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I emailed SAW about the 6920.  Right now, Colt must have a major order to fill for our guys in the sandbox.  I was told in the email that I shouldn't expect to see 6721 or 6920 until August or September at the earliest.  So, I had them put my name on a list for when the first models are sent out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The simple answer:

Where not worthy of Colts time.  They have no interest in helping law biding citizens obtain firearms.  Only big-brother and law enforcement is worthy enough.  Colt can kiss my ass.

Thats the truth no matter what the koolaid drinkers say.

God you are an idiot.
I can drive down to Clyde's Amrory in Athens and order a fresh LE Colt, and they will sell me one. Hell they sold a couple thousand after the AWB ended. After the AWB passed, Colt dropped the .gov induced requirement for LE letterhead when buying one of their LE weapons (makes since because at the time, that WAS considered an AW under law). That letter was posted on here specifically stating the any law abiding citizen can buy one of their LE models from a Colt authorized LE dealer.

I do not even own a Colt, but find myself defending them more and more because of idiots like you
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt,Bushy,RRA,doesn't matter to me,I like them all.

I drink Coke and Pepsi as well,I have no brand loyalty
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#6]

then you can probably get by with a lot less rifle than a Colt.

Come on, they have a couple of inspections on their bolts and barrels that some others do not, as if I could care, but Blackwater does just fine without them, so that works for me. The are not, repeat not, Gods gift to firearms. I still find it funny that some consider them the only "mil-spec" (what ever that is) AR-15 type rifles with their silly sear blocks and off size pins etc etc etc, etc........etc.

I do not even own a Colt, but find myself defending them more and more because of idiots like you

Others are not "idiots" just because they think differently from you, have you ever been wrong?
I DO own Colt, rifles and pistols, and I do not defend them as they do not defend ME. I wave my flag and not Colt's. I do not drink Coke or Pepsi as I am watching my weight but I like the idea. Give it a rest, buy what you want and shoot what you bought. Your money speaks a hellva lot louder that these posts except for Colt becasue I seriously doubt they would give a shit what we think, which speaks volumes.

Bill, waving MY flag.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Others are not "idiots" just because they think differently from you, have you ever been wrong?

Bill, waving MY flag.

Did you read what he said? He keeps spewing the same old false crap around that has been shown to be wrong time and time again. That is not "thinking differently" its just ignoring proven facts to imply that Colt hates civilians.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No need to - there are already a bunch of tards with Colt marketing materials in their avatars and signatures.

Tards?

That's a little harsh isn't it?
.........at least I contribute to the site enough for the privilege to have an avitar.

+1 RF

hey Maryland you better be writing to your lawmakers instead of typing such jibberish here......
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#9]

its just ignoring proven facts to imply that Colt hates civilians.

Well I don't think they hate civilians at all, but I do think they must hold us as somesort of legislative libiality (i.e. don't bother with them now and when they can't buy guns Colt will be unaffected) and therefore they ignore us. Look at their website, http://www.colt.com/, we are not there. The other guys build rifles, pistols and revolvers for us, the public. They do care what we think. I don't hate Colt at all, as I have pointed out I own their guns, but I am not paid by them (nor do I imply that you are anyone here is) so I just threat them at face value.

Bill

Edited to add they do include us here: http://www.coltsmfg.com/
I was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Word of mouth marketing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#11]
IBTL....

The answer to why Colt doesn't advertise on AR15.com is because they're on AOL Dial Up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

its just ignoring proven facts to imply that Colt hates civilians.

Well I don't think they hate civilians at all, but I do think they must hold us as somesort of legislative libiality (i.e. don't bother with them now and when they can't buy guns Colt will be unaffected) and therefore they ignore us. Look at their website, http://www.colt.com/, we are not there. The other guys build rifles, pistols and revolvers for us, the public. They do care what we think. I don't hate Colt at all, as I have pointed out I own their guns, but I am not paid by them (nor do I imply that you are anyone here is) so I just threat them at face value.

Bill

I see what you are saying, and to an extent I agree. I also think that it is just not in their business plan. Colt has never been the #1 civilian (non-LE) seller, its historically been Bushmaster and Armalite. Now even more companies have come and entered the market.

Colt is rolling in money right now, and this comes from an employee who works for their #1 competitor: FNH
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in 1988 when I first got into 3 Gun, Colt was pretty much the ONLY game in town for AR-15's and 1911's. They were the largest seller to civilians. Back then Bushmaster was viewed as a third best of two. Next Colt started lossing everything, the 1911's to Springfield, then Para-Ordance, STI, Kimber et al, the AR-15's to Bushmaster, Armalite, RR etc, etc and they all but dropped their revolvers and abandoned their SSA's. Of course they almost tanked. To say there was no market and therefore it was prudent business planning flys in the face of all the other's sucess, which is way too much to list here. They have made their bed and that is where they now lay, or is it lie? Anyway, amother great American company making yesterday's decisions today. I hope their union pensions don't sink them, but I don't hope too much.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Going to kick in my 2 cents.
Litigation...Colt has shyed away from the civilian market because of litigation. Military and Law Enforcement don't sue Colt, civilians sue Colt and Smith n Wesson as well as others. If Colt can survive on government sales and reduce their liability by not pursuing civilians sales, wouldn't it make good bussiness sense? Not saying I agree, but as a company trying to stay afloat wouldn't it make sense? Much of the same reason Colt prices staying high reduces the number of guns in the civilian market. This is why, although I own a Colt green label A2, I just ordered a RRA. Love my Colt, can't justify the price difference for another one. So look at it froma bussiness problem...Colt makes money on Government sales+civilian sales can jet them sued=don't pursue civilian sales, and what guns are sold on the civilian market label LEO.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#15]
HeavyD

I think you and I are on the same page but what if Ford dropped the "civialian" market and just sold Crown Vics to LEO's? Hell, LEO's are sueing Ford over thier Crown Vic's gas tanks.

I think I understand Colt's business logic but I have never agreed with it.
Look at Colt's civy site, http://www.coltsmfg.com/
The rifles there are still post ban. We can not be trusted with a bayont lug or a flash hidder or more than 10 rounds. Gee whiz, I'm all grown up!

Bill
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Bill,
I agree with you and in my post I said I don't necessarily agree with Colt. Why is just darn near every gun purchased, sold wiht one of those little cable locks now? What did it cost for companies to add those things into a gun package? I mean come on, it's a GUN! If you are a person that can drop a grand or more on a firearm, you're probably mature enough to handle it. Colt is worried because money does not necessarily buy common sense, and little Johnnny's mommy wants to sue somebody because Johnny broke into a house and stole a gun and shot himself with it. I hate that Colt has done the public the way they have, but they are still in business based sloely on contract sales, so it must be working for them. Thank God for Bushmaster, RRA, LMT, STAG, Oly and all the rest. We have more quality choices today because Colt abandoned us than we have ever had! Competition breeds quality.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#17]
This topic applies to KNIGHT'S as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Competition breeds quality.

STAND UP AND SHOUT IT FROM A MOUNTAIN!!!!!
CARVE IT IN STONE!!!
A TRUE MODERN REVALATION OF TRUTH!

So much of the development of modern firearms has taken place in the hands of AMERIACN* citizens looking for more performance. Look at the AR-15 and its spin off with the BIG BOYS that actually LIKE us. Togerher with them, WE have developed much of what is working and saving American lives in the overseas wars. Colt watched and mimicked, IMHO, YMMV.

Thanks HeavyD for the insight.

Bill

*edited to add "American"
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This topic applies to KNIGHT'S as well.

I'm pretty sure that KAC is so busy with gov't contracts that they feel like they don't need to advertise anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the gratitude Bill,
Appreciate it
Dave
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged for the

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#22]
There are two separate “Colts” There’s Colt Manufacturing which sells to civilians and there’s Colt Defense which sells to military and law enforcement. The companies were split, probably for liability reasons.

Colt Defense is at…

http://www.colt.com/

And Colt manufacturing is at…

http://www.coltsmfg.com/

From the Colt Defense site…

“Colt Defense is a leading designer, developer and manufacturer of small arms and weapons systems for the U.S. Military, its allies and federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.  Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC is a completely separate company that designs, manufactures and sells Colt handguns and Colt Match Target rifles.  Colt's Manufacturing Company has a separate website that you can access at www.coltsmfg.com”

As to why Colt Mfg. doesn’t advertise more… I don’t have a clue. One of their big problems right now is that they just don’t have anything to advertise. There’s not a single thing that they make which can’t be bought from several other companies.

How many companies make ARs and have a better selection of options than Colt?

How many companies sell 1911s with more options?

How many companies make single action revolvers?

Perhaps they will change this in the future and start innovating again, but I ain’t holding my breath.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I am not holding my breath either (I'd die) but I am waiting for "Colt"-SRB to again change his silly picture on his post again.
I rather like the one somebody posted with the bunny with a pancake on its head.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

God you are an idiot.
I can drive down to Clyde's Amrory in Athens and order a fresh LE Colt, and they will sell me one. Hell they sold a couple thousand after the AWB ended. After the AWB passed, Colt dropped the .gov induced requirement for LE letterhead when buying one of their LE weapons (makes since because at the time, that WAS considered an AW under law). That letter was posted on here specifically stating the any law abiding citizen can buy one of their LE models from a Colt authorized LE dealer.

I find it amusing that having a opinion makes people personally attack others online.  I'm sorry I hurt your feelings about Colt but thats how I feel and I will not apologize for it.  But I'm not immature enough to stoop down to your level and have a name calling battle.  Maybe what ar15.com  should have an age limit to join the boards to keep the kiddies out
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Signature By rmdugan84:

As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, independence and enterprise to the mind. - Thomas Jefferson

Nice sig line you have there...

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God you are an idiot.

I find it amusing that having a opinion makes people personally attack others online.  I'm sorry I hurt your feelings about Colt but thats how I feel and I will not apologize for it.  But I'm not immature enough to stoop down to your level and have a name calling battle.  Maybe what ar15.com  should have an age limit to join the boards to keep the kiddies out

They have no interest in helping law biding citizens obtain firearms.  Only big-brother and law enforcement is worthy enough.  Colt can kiss my ass.

How is falsifying a company's policy an opinion?

Thats the truth no matter what the koolaid drinkers say.

Yep you're only stating your opinion right?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#27]
The pony is bolonga
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Colt has make good guns, for the Military.  I have a push pin 1-7 twist HBAR upper, I bought used.. it's a DCM config now,   but their policies/ behavior is not something I'm going to reward by doing any direct business with them. They will never get a dime, from me.   They betrayed the public in order to get preference and contracts.   The day they added a sear block is the day Colt went tits up in my book.  thanks god for FN's M-16A2 contract, the FN shot very well when I was in.   Colt needs to take their Lumps. They asked for them.  On the other hand it might be good that Colt cut their own throat is do ing so, it allowed a lot of other AR- makers to get into the game ie Bushmaster, Oly, RRA.  So the civilian shooter is better off in the long run because he has a lot of different makers to choose from.  Thanks  Colt.    762  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Anyone know why they wouldn't want to advertise on here? Seems like they (Colt) have a strong following here. They are a major player in the AR world.

Curious to hear what you guys think.

Don't think I've seen DPMS or OLY advertise here either (I could be wrong).

I think RRA just barely started advertising here.

For the exact same reason Chevy doesn't advertise Corvette's very much on TV.....they sell every single one of them that comes off the assembly line.

Advertisement would increase the demand, and the supply would stay the same.......which, to put it simply would drive up the price astronomically......

Business 101.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone know why they wouldn't want to advertise on here? Seems like they (Colt) have a strong following here. They are a major player in the AR world.

Curious to hear what you guys think.

Don't think I've seen DPMS or OLY advertise here either (I could be wrong).

I think RRA just barely started advertising here.

For the exact same reason Chevy doesn't advertise Corvette's very much on TV.....they sell every single one of them that comes off the assembly line.

Advertisement would increase the demand, and the supply would stay the same.......which, to put it simply would drive up the price astronomically......

Business 101.

And finally, a logical explanation...

If only the COLT haters could comprehend and accept what you just said....................................
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I have not read gunrags (other then SAR) for about 10 years or so now, but "would bet" that if you were to go back through them you would see that the Colt advertised heavily from 1988-1993 (no DOD contracts) with lots of new products geared toward civies.  Then you would see Colt ads slow down in 1994 right after the M4 contract got going.  Then a few years of Colt advertising their new 6721 and their corresponding officer direct program.  After a couple of years of the 6721 LEO ads all advertising stops?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I think you're all goofy,

Your Transmission's slipping, you gonna go ask your plumber about it?

NO, you go to the source.

You're asking the wrong people why Colt doesn't advertise here.

GO ASK COLT.

unless your point was to start a shitstorm.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I think you're all goofy,

Your Transmission's slipping, you gonna go ask your plumber about it?

NO, you go to the source.

You're asking the wrong people why Colt doesn't advertise here.

GO ASK COLT.

unless your point was to start a shitstorm.

lol, good one.

I thought folks from Colt used to lurk here. I seem to remember communicating with Colt employees on here from time to time in the past,.

Still, I think I've had ONE person mention anything about the other companies I also named. And even that person only mentioned one of those companies (Oly).

I started a thread about RRA rifles earlier this week, got a response from a RRA employee.

So basically, Colt, Oly, and DPMS don't have employees who know the story who could respond on here??
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#34]
A Colt employee named Mark Roberts who posts with the user name mark1648 hangs out here:

forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I see him post quite a bit there.  Don't think he personally has much interests in AR's, never seen him post here.

BTW, that board sticks to being on topic with no funny business, so suggest you don't even bother to post there.

In regards to your original question I have a question for you.  Why would you advertise a product that sells faster then you make them?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Signature By rmdugan84:

As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, independence and enterprise to the mind. - Thomas Jefferson

imagecloset.com/8/03110509-we hate colt trolls.JPG

Thief
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
A Colt employee named Mark Roberts who posts with the user name mark1648 hangs out here:

I see him post quite a bit there.  Don't think he personally has much interests in AR's, never seen him post here.

BTW, that board sticks to being on topic with no funny business, so suggest you don't even bother to post there.

In regards to your original question I have a question for you.  Why would you advertise a product that sells faster then you make them?

That's a good point, it may be the answer (for Colt anyways)... but like it was also stated, you still see commercials for products that sell pretty damn well.

Then you have the other companies I mentioned, DPMS and OLY. What is their reasoning I wonder? They sell rifles, but I don't think they sell them faster than they make them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If you are a person that can drop a grand or more on a firearm, you're probably mature enough to handle it.

I respectfully disagree with you, Sir.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good point, it may be the answer (for Colt anyways)... but like it was also stated, you still see commercials for products that sell pretty damn well.

Then you have the other companies I mentioned, DPMS and OLY. What is their reasoning I wonder? They sell rifles, but I don't think they sell them faster than they make them.

If you run a business, you have to figure in the cost of advertising VS selling more. Maybe those companies did that and figured that since they sell most of what they make in a reasonable amount of time and business is steady, [ hence predictable employment and income] the cost of advertising is not worth the, 1. increased cost [added on to product] 2. loss of profit due to ad cost. 3. ad ebb and flow. 4. erattic employment [hire and fire/layoff] 5.increased training cost for new employees who may or may not be employed for long. 6. higher unemployment costs.
Most of these Companies are not as big as you might think, and are considered small in the biz world.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Another question that could make for an informative thread would be "why doesn't Colt increase production to meet demand"?  Then we could ask why no advisement once product was collecting dust.

Quoted:

Don't keep up on such topics, but kind of remember some bad blood between this board and Oly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow. . . I teach middle school. . . . . you guys act like them sometimes ha ha ha. (not funny really)

My two cents is here for you to ponder.

I love my COLT. It shoots straighter than any other rifle I have ever owned .   It fits me well and IMHO it shoots better than the other few AR's I have shot. (I won't mention brands)

I have always been led to believe that Colt is the standard. They have proved it by me. No need to bash them for whatever reason, they are just a company same as every other company, trying to stay afloat, and trying to make a buck.

I'm going to buy a new one of the shelf tomorrow, then I'll have TWO COLTS! wha-hoo, I still own more Rugers. . . . . working on that. . . .
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Signature By rmdugan84:

imagecloset.com/8/03110509-we hate colt trolls.JPG

Thief

Yes you are...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top