Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/6/2006 11:40:09 AM EDT
I'm not very fond of my stock armalite trigger and reading about the RRA 2-stage triggers seems a better deal for a newbie like me. Simple to install, no ajustment.

My only question is; is it any possible than this trigger in the long run will be less reliable than my stock 1 stage trigger ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:07:14 PM EDT
could be less reliable

if its just for plinking i would rather have the rra two stage over the stock armalite trigger, or better yet look into the beefed up unit adcofirearms.com sells.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:18:13 PM EDT
RRA 2 stages (I have 18 of them) use the low mass hammer and what feels like a slightly heavier spring. The pins are a bit long for the LR-308's I have them in, but they work. In two of them I have a little shoulder feel during the 1st stage. I attribute that to misalignment of the parts if the pins aren't flush on one side of the receiver.

The second stage breaks crisply.. glasslike. I would use it for a target gun, but not for personal defense. If you use military surplus ammo or anything with hard primers, you could certainly experience light strikes and ftf from the low mass hammer eventually.

For what it costs ($75 fro Brownells) its not a bad trigger at all.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:54:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jvicent: The second stage breaks crisply.. glasslike. I would use it for a target gun, but not for personal defense. .

So shit triggers are better for personal defense?

No matter how much people try to rationalize this position, it will NEVER make sense.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:55:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
could be less reliable .

Or could be more reliable. You have no idea which way it will go.

A RRA 2 stage could break. And you could get hit by a piece of blue ice falling 35,000 feet to the ground from an airplane.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:48:44 PM EDT
I forgot to mention, I own an Armalite AR15 or AR10; if it makes any differences.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:03:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:

could be less reliable .

A RRA 2 stage could break. And you could get hit by a piece of blue ice falling 35,000 feet to the ground from an airplane.

Turdsicle!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:18:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jvicent: The second stage breaks crisply.. glasslike. I would use it for a target gun, but not for personal defense. .

So shit triggers are better for personal defense?

No matter how much people try to rationalize this position, it will NEVER make sense.

In tense situations, adrenaline makes a stiff trigger, light. The two stage could help reduce an accidental discharge but the second stage is still very light.

I had an incident a while ago where I chased three guys out of my house with my Baby Eagle. I thought that I only lightly touched the trigger with the tip of my finger in the "hammer down" mode. Baby Eagles have a very heavy trigger pull with the hammer down - something like 9lbs+. But as I put it away when the police showed up, the hammer was all the way half cocked. Adrenaline can turn a feather light touch into a steel vise grip without even knowing it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:59:33 AM EDT

could be less reliable .

Granted it could go either way, but doing a search for RRA and doing manual searches for trigger has already shown at least 2 people with the single stage effect within the past 2 weeks. It's by no means a reliable sampling of statistical data, but it sounds like RRA has not fixed the problem yet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:18:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By St1650:
I'm not very fond of my stock armalite trigger and reading about the RRA 2-stage triggers seems a better deal for a newbie like me. Simple to install, no ajustment.

My only question is; is it any possible than this trigger in the long run will be less reliable than my stock 1 stage trigger ?

You could bet on it...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:43:07 AM EDT
RRA 2-stage trigger quality

more about RRA 2-stage trigger quality

Don't let the RRA junk trigger make you believe that every brand 2-stage triggers are unreliable... There are several other manufacturers that make a very reliable 2-stage trigger... The only triggers you will read about continuously malfunctioning is the RRA ones...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:55:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:

could be less reliable .

Granted it could go either way, but doing a search for RRA and doing manual searches for trigger has already shown at least 2 people with the single stage effect within the past 2 weeks. It's by no means a reliable sampling of statistical data, but it sounds like RRA has not fixed the problem yet.

A sample of two when the population is in the high thousands is meaningless.

I'll take those chances, since the odds that a single stage trigger will never malfunction are definitely not zero either.

My RRA 2 stage has gone 5K rounds without a failure, and it is in a box waiting for a lower where I'm sure it will crank out another 5K easy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:15:56 AM EDT

could be less reliable .

I'll take those chances, since the odds that a single stage trigger will never malfunction are definitely not zero either.

My RRA 2 stage has gone 5K rounds without a failure, and it is in a box waiting for a lower where I'm sure it will crank out another 5K easy.

I found a bunch more in the archives from 2+ years back. You can continue with the ostrich syndrome but I'm looking elsewhere for an aftermarket trigger.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:00:24 AM EDT

could be less reliable .

I found a bunch more in the archives from 2+ years back. You can continue with the ostrich syndrome but I'm looking elsewhere for an aftermarket trigger.

Actually, since I work in manufacturing, I kinda know that companies do listen to customer feedback and improve their products and processes.

Have you done a trend analysis based on date of reported failure? If not, how do you know if the problem rate is geting worse, staying about the same, or getting better?

You don't, I bet. So it's actually not me the one with my head in the sand.

I don't care what you buy, by the way.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:58:48 AM EDT

could be less reliable .

Actually, since I work in manufacturing, I kinda know that companies do listen to customer feedback and improve their products and processes.

Have you done a trend analysis based on date of reported failure? If not, how do you know if the problem rate is geting worse, staying about the same, or getting better?

From reading daily for many months and seeing more and more complaints, Id have to say its a toss up between staying the same and getting worse...

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:07:54 PM EDT

If it was not a big deal, then why would WOA and ADCO insist on making modifications to those triggers to correct RRA dilequencies? Why would the people who run 10-8 consulting that train or know many of the private security forces in Iraq say that they are unreliable?

you are blinded by your hard-headedness.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:04:45 PM EDT

BTDT with my Armalite for exactly the reasons noted. RRA trigger has been 100% so far (about 5 years) but only time will tell.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:20:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NickySantoro:

BTDT with my Armalite for exactly the reasons noted. RRA trigger has been 100% so far (about 5 years) but only time will tell.

But the tacticool guys who train mercs say they suck. I guess mine is waiting for being fired the 5001th time to go to shit........
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:23:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Trey-W:

If it was not a big deal, then why would WOA and ADCO insist on making modifications to those triggers to correct RRA dilequencies? Why would the people who run 10-8 consulting that train or know many of the private security forces in Iraq say that they are unreliable?

you are blinded by your hard-headedness.

All that White Oak did to mine was to stone the sear surfaces to lighten pull a little bit and take all the creep out. And it already had over 4K rounds in stock trim before that.

So if being capable of independent thinking is being hard headed, I'm all for it.

10-8? Who cares?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 6:09:01 PM EDT by Trey-W]

All that White Oak did to mine was to stone the sear surfaces to lighten pull a little bit and take all the creep out. And it already had over 4K rounds in stock trim before that.

I rechecked and WOA doesn't do anything. I retract my statement on that, but it does not discount the fact that RRA are less reliable then most others due to their flawed disconnector pin design.

A stock trigger does not break because the design is bad, but the main reason why a RRA trigger breaks is because of its design. Maybe YOUR "independant" thinking is what is wrong with you.

10-8? Who cares?

Suit yourself. What to they know, anyway
Top Top