Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 11:11:12 AM EDT
I picked the RRA Elite A4mid-length as my first AR which will be used mostly for 3Gun competitions.  I'll probably add a $90 Aimpoint clone scope to it right away or similar Hakko-clone.

Which of the two sight options is recommended?  The Dominator Mount or the Tactical carry handle?

Will the dominator mount co-witness with any of the cheap clone scopes mentioned?  The mount attaches the rail much like the tactical carry handle right?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0125EASSY

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Dominator was designed for the EOTech.

The so-called 'Tactical carry handle' (actually it is neither) was designed to work with Aimpoints when using the cheap ($20) low mount.  It also seems to work with the cheap $30 BSA red-dot sighs with the built-in mounts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh I should point out I'd suggest netheir.  Get a decent BUIS instead.  The optic (EOTech or Aimpoint) will work/cowitness when mounted to the receiver rail.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Any BUIS rear sights you would suggest?
Hopefully I can get the RRA priced w/o either of the mounts listed or apply that cost towards the BUIS sight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks.  Any BUIS rear sights you would suggest?
Hopefully I can get the RRA priced w/o either of the mounts listed or apply that cost towards the BUIS sight.

For a fixed sight, get a LMT or Larue BUIS.  For a flip-up, get a Troy or ARMS #40.  There are other good ones, but those two are very popular.  

I would steer clear of the Dominator or Tactical Carry Handle.  The Dominator doesn't TRULY co-witness, but mounts the Eotech higher, which puts the iron sights in the lower third of the Eotech field of view.  I like having my irons and dot line up when I have a good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would steer clear of the Dominator or Tactical Carry Handle.  The Dominator doesn't TRULY co-witness, but mounts the Eotech higher, which puts the iron sights in the lower third of the Eotech field of view.  I like having my irons and dot line up when I have a good cheek weld.

Where did you get that information? I have a Dominator and EOTech on my Entry Tactical and with both sights zero'd at 50 yards the EO reticle dot sits directly on top of the front sight co-witnessing perfectly.  Fwiw, the LaRue Tactical EOTech mount claims to put the BUIS line of sight in the lower third of the EO window but RRA claims the Dominator puts the EO reticle "just above" ( CLICK HERE ) the iron sights. From experience, "just above" is "just a hair" above. There is virtually no cheek weld change required to switch to iron sights if the EOTech dies...  

The Dominator is an awesome EOTech mount base... but the tactical carry handle (I agree with Forest... it is neither tactical, nor a carry handle...) was designed for use with Aimpoint and similar optics. That is per one of RRA's LE sales reps. I can tell you from personal experience that the tac handle is garbage if you are using an EOTech... I have no idea how it would work out with an Aimpoint or clone...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Oh I should point out I'd suggest netheir.  Get a decent BUIS instead.  The optic (EOTech or Aimpoint) will work/cowitness when mounted to the receiver rail.

DITTO!!

+1 for "Absolute Cowitness"!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top