Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 9:38:46 AM EDT
Are the butt plates the same for a-1 and a-2. Are they inter changeable. I need to replace the chincy Cav Arms butt plate for their A1 buttstock.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]
They are interchangeable, but they are not exactly the same.  An odd match-up -- A1 & A2 combination of buttplate and stock -- will leave a little overhang in places around the seam.  It's not intolerable but is noticable to the touch or a careful eye.  Anyone who says they are the same is not very observant or not very knowledgeable.

What is different between the two models is that the A1 parts have a rounder profile and the A2 parts are more angled.  Here are the photos that will save me typing 3000 words.  By the way, my buttplate is a little more to the left on the stock, so the lip is more pronounced on the right.

A2 buttplate by Armalite, A1 stock by Colt.  The CavArms stock IIRC has the more rounded A1 profile as well as its (of course) A1 length.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#2]
HP40-
I have swapped a couple.  They appear the same and you are right, the cav plates are flimsy.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I just encountered the exact same issue with a CavArms stock (which I otherwise am very happy with)

I just glanced over the Equipment Exchange every couple days, in the "AR Parts" category, and found quite a few buttplates for sale.  I ended up buying an SP1 buttplate with trapdoor for $5 shipped.

Ditto the rear sling swivel for $1 shipped.

It's not that it's a terrible buttplate or swivel, it's just that Cav keeps costs down by sticking to what they're good at (injection molding and the like), probably expecting that casual customers won't care about the hardware, and serious customers can find upgrades.

-MV
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, especially for the pics. I have two Cav Arms stocks with one having many rnds through it with no problems. I guess I over tightened my new one and the screw pulled through allowing the stock to come off. DPMS has one but doesn't denote wether it's A1 or A2. I don't want to have to pay for an entire stock(military pull off) wich is all I could find on the net. I'll check the EE as Matthew pointed out. Thanks again.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top