User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

If you won't be shooting over 200 yards, get an A1....or....get an A2.

Windage.  Elevation.  You like - you buy.

I wouldn't take the arguement much past that.

WAY too late for logic !
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you guys are all getting your panties in a bunch over semantics.  What you or I describe as "simple", somebody else may call "complicated".  Some rifles are relatively simpler than others.  

A stock rifle with an ergo grip and an adj stock is STILL simpler than a carbine with a 3x, m2, surefire, vert grip, folding front and rear sights, adj stock . . . but still not as simple as yours.  

An a side note:  I don't have experience with A1 sights but don't you NEED a tool to adjust the elevation?  How simple is THAT compared to just turning a knob?  If that's the case, then I'd say the A2 is simpler and preferable to the A1.  I'd hate to lose my adjustment tool at the worst possible moment!!!  My two.

Edit: for spelling.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't have experience with A1 sights but don't you NEED a tool to adjust the elevation?  How simple is THAT compared to just turning a nob?  If that's the case, then I'd say the A2 is simpler and preferable to the A1.  I'd hate to lose my adjustment tool at the worst possible moment!!!  My two.

Well now that just throws a monkey wrench into the KISS A1 arguement!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
An a side note:  I don't have experience with A1 sights but don't you NEED a tool to adjust the elevation?  How simple is THAT compared to just turning a nob?  If that's the case, then I'd say the A2 is simpler and preferable to the A1.  I'd hate to lose my adjustment tool at the worst possible moment!!!  My two.

Both weapons are sighted in using the front sight to adjust elevation.  The knobs are only used for corrections on the KD range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
An a side note:  I don't have experience with A1 sights but don't you NEED a tool to adjust the elevation?  How simple is THAT compared to just turning a nob?  If that's the case, then I'd say the A2 is simpler and preferable to the A1.  I'd hate to lose my adjustment tool at the worst possible moment!!!  My two.

Both weapons are sighted in using the front sight to adjust elevation.  The knobs are only used for corrections on the KD range.

The Obvious just called, they want their Master back
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm aware the front sight post is only adjusted when zeroing the weapon.  But the knobs are NOT just used at camp pendleton's kd range.  I still say something that requires a tool is not as simple as something that does NOT.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still say something that requires a tool is not as simple as something that does NOT.

The 'tool' is a cartridge, wow that's really complex.  You can't bump A1 sights out of zero, and you or buddy can't finger-F&*K them up when you're sitting around bored.  For KISS 'idiot proof' beats 'easy to adjust critical part that shouldn't be adjusted in the field' hands down.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Why do you need to adjust the sights once they are zeroed?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do you need to adjust the sights once they are zeroed?

There is no need to start throwing logic around......

The problem is that once you get beyond your 200M zero, you have reached the point where you cannot realistically use a 5 pound, iron sighted weapon to shoot a moving human target.  It's probably dark.  He is in clothing that may match his environment very well, even though it is casual wear and not Multicam. And you are trying to hit an 8 inch circle in the center of his chest.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#12]
So, if I get a SureFireM73 forend rail and a M951XM05, my carbine is no longer KISS (Bushmaster M4A2)?  That's stupid, the light only enhances usability of the rifle.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So, if I get a SureFireM73 forend rail and a M951XM05, my carbine is no longer KISS (Bushmaster M4A2)?  That's stupid, the light only enhances usability of the rifle.  

NO.  Only PALADIN-hgwt knows what KISS is.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
fewer parts than any others pictured thus far...

I count 87 in total!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have to admit that I am way too stupid to operate A2 sites.  The funny thing is that I can really shoot well with A1s. Go figure!

I am a KISS member!

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=917&iGalleryUnq=472&iImageUnq=13610

Why do you have an collapsable stock!? Don't you know the detent could break and get you killed!? That brake might snag on something with its big ports. It could get you killed! The forward assist is one more avenue for sand and water to invade. It might seize the gun and get you killed! That sling might get snagged on something like barb wire atop a fence, you'll be a sitting duck and you'll be killed!

I'm not calling you out, Squid, just using your rifle as an example. In general, use what works for the individual and meets mission criteria. If that means a light, a collapsable stock, and a three-point sling, it makes for a for a more mission-capable rifle. If one fails, the rifle itself will still function. A competent shooter will still get the job done.

If you REALLY want KISS, I recommend you replace your carry piece with this :
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still say something that requires a tool is not as simple as something that does NOT.

The 'tool' is a cartridge, wow that's really complex.  You can't bump A1 sights out of zero, and you or buddy can't finger-F&*K them up when you're sitting around bored.  For KISS 'idiot proof' beats 'easy to adjust critical part that shouldn't be adjusted in the field' hands down.

I gather you're talking about adjusting the front sight post with the cartridge?  I wasn't talking about the front sight post.  I was talking about the REAR A1 sight.  As I already stated, I don't have any experience with A1 sights.  I was asking if one needs a tool to adjust THE REAR sight for elevation.  Are you saying you can use a cartridge to adjust the REAR sight too?  If you DO need a special tool, then that's just another thing to lose (i.e. something to go wrong)  

I think the main thrust of my argument is that simple is subjective.  So debating what "simple" is is pointless.  BTW I didn't appreciate your tone.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#18]
A1 rear sight can be adjusted using a bullet/cartridge tip.

Tip goes into the hole to depress the detent, rotate ~70 degrees, and repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
 I wasn't talking about the front sight post.  I was talking about the REAR A1 sight.  

So was I.

A cartridge is all you need

I don't have any experience with A1 sights.

Then why not stop rambling about what you don't know about and listen to those of us that own both?

BTW I didn't appreciate your tone.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gather you're talking about adjusting the front sight post with the cartridge?  I wasn't talking about the front sight post.  I was talking about the REAR A1 sight.  As I already stated, I don't have any experience with A1 sights.  I was asking if one needs a tool to adjust THE REAR sight for elevation.  Are you saying you can use a cartridge to adjust the REAR sight too?  If you DO need a special tool, then that's just another thing to lose (i.e. something to go wrong)  

I think the main thrust of my argument is that simple is subjective.  So debating what "simple" is is pointless.  BTW I didn't appreciate your tone.  

Don't mention anything you don't have experience with then.  THAT will help keep things simple.  Now we're all gonna feel like explaining to you that rear sights are not adjustable for elevation and the windage is by using a cartridge, not a special too, etc...

can we get a KISS thread?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And if its a SHTF bugging out situation, what gonna be on the Big 5 sporting goods shelfs.  77 grain match rounds or 45 grain varmint rounds?

If you're waiting to get ammo until the moment of 'bugging out' along with the 10 million other idiots who didn't have the sense to think ahead, then you might as well kiss your posterior good-by right now.

The A2 sight isnt perfect, but its better then the A1 sight.

Maybe for match shooting on the manicured lawns of the CMP ...

And if you run out of your home stockpile where are you gonna find more if there is any?  Well in the sporting goods stores.  Where they really onl carry 55 grain and down.

Maybe for match shooting on the manicured lawns of the CMP ...[/

Funny thing about all the after action reports I have read, not a single one mentioned the A2 sight.  Oh wait, they must have all been shooting on manicured lawns at camp perry.........
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Another reason to use a tele stock may be if you need to reduce the overall length a couple inches for storage.  (A good argument for the shorty 'entry' style stock, actually).  

Edit: I have an A2 rear sight because I got a good deal on a 6520 upper. I would have preferred an A1/C8 style as I intended to zero and leave it alone; but the A2 works fine. I have an A1 rifle with an A2 aperture and I actually prefer changing this out to A2.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
And if you run out of your home stockpile where are you gonna find more if there is any?

if I run out my 'stockpile' you can bet your last morsel of food there will be NONE in the stores.

Where they really onl carry 55 grain and down.

You must have some bad stores then..

Funny thing about all the after action reports I have read, not a single one mentioned the A2 sight.  Oh wait, they must have all been shooting on manicured lawns at camp perry

Just because it's adequate doesn't make it 'the best'.  Iron sights are 'adequate', optics are 'the best' - yet people who don't have optics don't complain much.  Your argument is weak.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#24]
So everybody agrees on the ideal setup for a KISS AR15

I think this is an interesting thread. Nearly every possible component except magnified optics and friggin' lasers has been listed as required part of the bare necessities. And no one agrees. I guess the conclusion is that you can have a KISS AR, but not one that is totally adequate for every purpose. There are completely different priorities in a weapon optimized for home defense versus a highpower competitor's rifle. A KISS shorty carbine with an aimpoint, designed for room to room battles with zombies, would be nothing like a KISS hunting rifle with a long bull barrel and scope, but they are both the optimum for their purpose. But the different build variations and the justifications for them for are really interesting.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't know rabbits liked pancake hats. You learn something new every day.

Huh, who knew?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A1 rear sight can be adjusted using a bullet/cartridge tip.

Tip goes into the hole to depress the detent, rotate ~70 degrees, and repeat as needed.

THANK YOU!  Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't mention anything you don't have experience with then.  THAT will help keep things simple.  Now we're all gonna feel like explaining to you that rear sights are not adjustable for elevation and the windage is by using a cartridge, not a special too, etc...

can we get a KISS thread?

Okay since I just read two posts in a row ragging on me . . ..  I asked a question ..  . then said IF this is so, then I would think this. . . .

It's VERY reasonable and rational so I don't see what crawled up your ass and died.  

For those of you that went to college.... I didn't say B . . . . . I first asked if A is true.  Then stated if A is true, then "B".  If "A" is not true, then you can disregard "B".  It's that simple.  How the F is anybody supposed to learn if they can't come on and say "Hey I dunno . ." and ASK some questions?  At least I don't get on here pretending to be an expert on something I'm not.  I started off saying I don't know much about the A1 sight . . . .. . so if not A, then NOT B.  Thanks for being so eager to put me in my place though.  That being said, I'm done.    
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top