Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/6/2006 2:28:00 AM EDT
I'm doing research to buy or build an AR-15 this summer. This will be a retirement present for me, so I want to engrave a USMC emblem on the side of the magazine well; I'd also like to engrave the years served underneath.

In your opinion, would this decrease the value of the rifle if I were to sell it at some point? I doubt I would, but I also want to "keep my options open."

Tim
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:38:51 AM EDT
Any engraved rifle loses value if shot. An engraved rifle with personal engraving such as you are talking about would have no valuew to anyone but yourself. If it means something to you, by all means get it, but there would probably not be any increase in the gun value. It might decrease the value.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:58:48 AM EDT
Have the lower engraved any way you want. If you sell it later, simply remove or exchange the lowere receiver for a plain jane lower.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:48:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 4:49:53 AM EDT by Stickman]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:16:55 PM EDT
Thanks all. That's about what I thought.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:05:29 PM EDT
This should be pretty affordable:

There are several www.ar15.com members who offer EGA-engraved AR lowers, some of whom can add whatever other marking (name, dates), whatever labels for the selector switch, and even whatever serial number you want (SGTJOHNQ1775, etc)

If you're planning to sell the rifle in a couple years, don't engrave the lower.

If you're planning to have an AR of some sort for many years to come, or especially to pass one down to an inheritor someday, spend the few extra bucks to get an engraved one.

Can anyone recommend to this gent which ARF members offer lowers with the USMC emblem? It'll be far more affordable to go to someone who already has the design prepared rather than asking some random gunsmith in your town.

Semper Fi,

-MV
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:00:41 PM EDT
MV - I've been in contact with Tom Sawyer Manufacturing , as they have a USMC emblem. Anybody have experience with them?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:51:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bwana50:
MV - I've been in contact with Tom Sawyer Manufacturing , as they have a USMC emblem. Anybody have experience with them?

From what I've heard they do fine work.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:07:17 PM EDT
I had superior arms engrave a lower for myself and my dad through RB Precision, and I was very satisfied. They also have the Corps emblem done already, so it would only add $50 to the cost of the lower which was around $90.

Custom Engraving
RB Precision
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:24:27 PM EDT
Tom Sawyer engraves onto DPMS lowers, yes?

Prices seem pretty similar across the board. Provided their photos of their engraving work look good, it seems to be just a matter of finding an engraver of good rep who can engrave the particular brand of lower you want.

A lot of folks indicate that AR lowers are much-of-a-muchness, so unless you have a strong preference for lower brands, seems pretty easy.

If the diff between unengraved like everybody else has, and engraved with an emblem that matters to you, is only $50, that seems definitely well worth it if you intend to own an AR for any length of time.

What's the phrase? "Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun..."

If you get, post pics.

-MV

P.S.: What kind of AR are you building? A1, A2, A4, M4gery? I just got an A1 replica for myself as an EAS present, though the A1 was long-gone far before I hit the yellow footprints at MCRD.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:05:32 PM EDT
May as well forget about it. Steve Sawyer or Tom Sawyer can't do the EGA anymore. The USMC EGL is protected by Federal Law and they take it very seriously.

No musical instruments or firearms. No joke.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:13:33 PM EDT
Perhaps as a retiring serviceman, you can ask your CoC for a waiver. This is why there are so many JAG ossifers around right?

Simon

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:14:30 AM EDT
MV - A2 clone, nothing fancy. Will post pics when complete.

48th Highlander - really?! That's news to me.
Top Top