Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2006 9:59:54 PM EDT
Hey folks.  I'm new here and new to the world of the black rifle.  Eventually I'd like to build my own but for my 1st, I'll be having the pros do it for me.  I've been reading good things about RRA.  Specifically I'm looking at the mid-length A4.  A few newbie questions:

What are your opinions on the Surefire M73 Tactical Rail?  Good?  Bad?

For the barrel: chrome lined or no?  I'm not sure on the benefits of either option.

What's the difference between their detachable tactical carry handle and detachable A2 carry handle?

I'll leave it with those for now.  Sorry for the elementary questions but I'm just getting started here so there's a lot to learn.  Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The RRA Midlength A4 is a good choice. I have one, it's my K.I.S.S rifle.

The Surefire rail for a Midlength is the M81 I think. Check out the MI midlength railed foreend too Both are good, I dont think the Surefire is on the same plane as the 1913 rail on your reciever.

Go chrome for maintenence reasons. Non Chrome lined might be a tiny bit more accurate but IMHO the chrome lining ease of cleaning more than makes up for that.

On the left is the standard  detachable A2 Carry handle on the right is the "tactical"
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
From my research on the board, I too have decided to go with a RRA CAR Elite A4 midlength.  I had planned on ordering it from pete from Legal Transfers.  If you decide to go with RRA give him a call.  I talked to him for about 30 min. discussing all the different options of the AR.  He makes it seem like his sole purpose on this earth is to get you the exact AR that you want.  www.ar15sales.com
I decided to go with chrome lining really because, why not?  The small price paid for this option IMO is worth the added benefits of easier cleaning, simpler break in, and increased barrel life.
The difference in the carry handle can be found at http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0052CASY&storeid=1&image=chndls.gif&CFID=10323016&CFTOKEN=91801245
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Other than a side mounted  front sling mount and the price what is the difference between the Elite Car A4 and Midlength A4?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the Site , You'll learn alot here
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Avoid the "Tactical carry handle" it is pointless. Get either the standard detachable carry handle, or even better, see if you can get the rifle without a carry handle, and buy a BUIS (Back-Up Iron Sight) such as the LaRue or LMT. This will give you more mounting options for optical sights in the future.

The Surefire rail is a solid set-up at a good price. As posted above the M73 wont work on a mid-length carbine. You will need either the M81 or M85.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
From my research on the board, I too have decided to go with a RRA CAR Elite A4 midlength.  I had planned on ordering it from pete from Legal Transfers.  If you decide to go with RRA give him a call.  I talked to him for about 30 min. discussing all the different options of the AR.  He makes it seem like his sole purpose on this earth is to get you the exact AR that you want.  www.ar15sales.com
I decided to go with chrome lining really because, why not?  The small price paid for this option IMO is worth the added benefits of easier cleaning, simpler break in, and increased barrel life.
The difference in the carry handle can be found at http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0052CASY&storeid=1&image=chndls.gif&CFID=10323016&CFTOKEN=91801245

Thanks very much for the info.  Great looking site and they have my local dealer's FFL on record.  Uh oh... my checkbook hates you:)

I'll second the question asked:  Other than a side mounted front sling mount and the price what is the difference between the Elite Car A4 and Midlength A4?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:06:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks very much for the info.  Great looking site and they have my local dealer's FFL on record.  Uh oh... my checkbook hates you:)

I'll second the question asked:  Other than a side mounted front sling mount and the price what is the difference between the Elite Car A4 and Midlength A4?

The Elite also comes with a Hogue rubber grip, a star selector and comes with either a "tactical' carry handle or the Eotech/Dominator mount included. I think the Mid A4 is the better route to go since you can get everything listed above that comes with the Elite minus the cheesy Tactical carry handle and star selector.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Elite also comes with a Hogue rubber grip, a star selector and comes with either a "tactical' carry handle or the Eotech/Dominator mount included. I think the Mid A4 is the better route to go since you can get everything listed above that comes with the Elite minus the cheesy Tactical carry handle and star selector.

My point exactly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Surefire is the definitive weapon-light maker, but this does not qualify them as a (quality) rail maker  

There are many better options.

KAC

Daniel Defense

Larue

Troy

Samson

MI

Vltor

are just a few that come to mind. (not necessarily in that order)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top