BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am going to do one in woodgrain so it matches the back of the gun cabinet, after all I want it to blend with its surroundings. Then I will do one in egg crate foam to match the hard case.

Good idea, thats probably where it sits most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Tan matches alot more purses than OD.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am going to do one in woodgrain so it matches the back of the gun cabinet, after all I want it to blend with its surroundings. Then I will do one in egg crate foam to match the hard case.

Good idea, thats probably where it sits most of the time.

The goverment gives me enough guns to play with as it is, no need to dirty mine up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#4]
After Hurricane Rita all the green blew away!  

Tan/Brown matched the dirt and bark better hehe.  

Also, it blends in better with the houses...of course so would "peach" or "light melon" but i'm not painting my AR in those colors!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm from Ohio and I have tan furniture, mainly as tribute to the men and women serving in Iraq doing it for real while we plink at targets.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
In WWII, the Germans switched from gray to tan as the basecoat for all their vehicles regardless of theater.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Why are my rifles black, when I usually don't go shooting in the dark?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In WWII, the Germans switched from gray to tan as the basecoat for all their vehicles regardless of theater.

Sure helped them out huh. Just joking.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#9]
need vs want

In my area tans and browns are the dominant colors 90% of the year...and even in the 'green' times
work pretty good as long as the breakup is wide....

The only place I've been where green worked best year round was Panama and the Mekong Delta

imo
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cause they can?

Not being a smartass. Why not? They got pink, red, orange, shit brown and the feller even painted one up like barbie stuff. I doubt his daughter is gonna be doing CQB in a barbie dream house. She wanted it, he did it.

I have two with DeWalt yellow furniture.  Because when you get right down to it, a firearm is just another tool.

ETA:  And I had one with desert tan furniture long before the war.  I guess that means .mil is just copying me.  Bunch of wannabe Texican posers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Desert Tan?    I don't think I've ever seen a desert tan AR anywhere, at least not in person.  I've seen a hell of a lot of Coyote ones, though.  Coyote disappears around here, year round.

I see it says your location is Florida, warhorse.  People down south often don't realize how green it is down there, or how brown it can be everywhere else.  I spent a couple of days one summer driving from Alabama to PA, and the contrast was pretty stark.   I never realized how brown everything was here until I came back from that neon green wasteland down in southern Alabama.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why do people who live in the city drive a Truck/SUV?

Do you actually wear a "pair" of underwear or just one?

hr
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#13]
black is the worst color for most environs.  Tan, or any naturally occuring color will blend into a field of grass far better.

As to why people paint their weapons.  In the end, for most folks, its a hobby.  Whatever makes it more fun I say go for it!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Why Coyote or tan? So it matches this years"in" color and all their XXL vests, backpacks, mag. pouches.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I see alot of people argue that tan/FDE/coyote is far better at blending in than other colors but why do most militarys around the world (other than the ones operating in desert theaters) still wear mainly green?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, if you look around, you'll find that even in "green" Georgia, a large percentage of the foliage is tan/brown, even in spring/summer.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#17]

I see alot of people argue that tan/FDE/coyote is far better at blending in than other colors but why do most militarys around the world (other than the ones operating in desert theaters) still wear mainly green?

Most of them used tan or grey for a long, long, time.  Some never stopped using it.  It was often just plain simpler to make, from a manufacturing perspective.  I think once they were able to easily make things whatever color they wanted, they went a little overboard.  

I think we'll continue to see people move away from green.  It's the color that the human eye is most sensitive to.  Think about deer; deer can be damn hard to see, even in the summer - when they are essentially coyote colored.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickled
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I live in the desert and have OD furniture.  I did this mainly so when I get totally shitfaced at the range I'll be able to find my rifle easier.

John P.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmm. Out of the three AR's at my house none of them are black . I still want a white one , but I don't want to drop it or I'll never find it again till summer .
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hmm. Out of the three AR's at my house none of them are black . I still want a white one , but I don't want to drop it or I'll never find it again till summer .

lol.... I wanted a white one also, so I had one done up in a winter mirageflage pattern (white with 2 shades of grey). It's white here for a decent part of the year so it could come in handy some day. http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/250085/131685786.jpg

DW
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Enlighten me on why people in green states need desert tan ARs.

If tan rifles are for the desert states and green rifles are for green states please tell me what state all the black rilfes are for?  Am I only supposed to shoot my black rifle at night?  If I take a tan rifle out in the forest with me will the AR-15 fashion police arrest me?

My only requirement is that it always functions and it kills my point of aim.  Color be damned.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Because we want them, and they blend in when on contracts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If tan rifles are for the desert states and green rifles are for green states please tell me what state all the black rilfes are for?  Am I only supposed to shoot my black rifle at night?  If I take a tan rifle out in the forest with me will the AR-15 fashion police arrest me?

hr

I guess this would just be for Circus security. http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/416474/131839672.jpg

DW
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My only requirement is that it always functions and it kills my point of aim.  Color be damned.

Black rifle = Tactical Night Ops
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Wow, I feel honored to get one of your seven replies in four + years.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Cause when tshtf, the sheeple will quickly eat all the vegetation leaving behind a desert wasteland.

Didn't you ever see MAD MAX?                        sheesh.      
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I know this is America and people can do what they want but I was just wondering why someone in say Georgia for example need to do their ARs in desert tan?

WOW!

All of this over my little carbine. Must be mine you're talking about because you started this thread a day after I posted my pics.

This rifle is intended as a plinker and KISS carbine. I really don't care what color it is, as long as it works and shoots straight. There are plenty of things people do to their AR's on this site that I don't agree with and have me wondering WTF. As far as I'm concerned, if it works for you and you like it, then I'm happy for you.

If you didn't notice, it's a Cav Arms lower and the color is molded in. I had to choose between black, coyote, and green. I really wanted one in Dewalt yellow, but they discontinued that color. My Colt is black so I decided to go with something a little different which left green or coyote for my final choice. 90% of the reason why I chose coyote was because it looked better to me. BTW, If I ever feel the "need" to camo my AR, I can paint it up whatever color I like.  

I'm glad you posted this because we both got a lesson in why Coyote/FDE is a better overall color than green. You could have e-mailed or IM'ed me and I would have been more than happy to tell you why I chose coyote, but that wouldn't have been as much fun.

The other 10% of why I chose Coyote is because I really like screwing with people who think they can make better firearms related choices for me than I can. The fact that my color choice bugged you enough to post a thread on it really made my day.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol.... I wanted a white one also, so I had one done up in a winter mirageflage pattern (white with 2 shades of grey). It's white here for a decent part of the year so it could come in handy some day.

pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/250085/131685786.jpg

DW

That is close . What  I really want is all white withblack controlls so I can find it .If I ever get a black rifle I am going to nickle plate all of the control parts,pins and do dads so it is diferent . But I am a little strange like that .
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:26:30 AM EDT
[#31]

I guess this would just be for Circus security. href=pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/416474/131839672.jpg

DW

Actually, you might get arrested by fashion police for having that rifle! It hurt my eyes. hehe.

Warhorse, you should feel doubly honored because that was my first post with an emoticon and also my first with a quote!  I generally consider the people who talk the most should be listened to the least.  Regards.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:50:50 AM EDT
[#32]
You mean they actually have COLORS for AR15's??????  Here I was thinking the 5 or 6 shades of BLACK would sufice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
for looks, lets face it 80% of us will never use our civilian ARs for anything more then plinking, training or comp shooting " at least hopefully"

More like 99%
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know this is America and people can do what they want but I was just wondering why someone in say Georgia for example need to do their ARs in desert tan?

WOW!

All of this over my little carbine. Must be mine you're talking about because you started this thread a day after I posted my pics.

img158.imageshack.us/img158/5338/cavcrop11ja.jpg

This rifle is intended as a plinker and KISS carbine. I really don't care what color it is, as long as it works and shoots straight. There are plenty of things people do to their AR's on this site that I don't agree with and have me wondering WTF. As far as I'm concerned, if it works for you and you like it, then I'm happy for you.

If you didn't notice, it's a Cav Arms lower and the color is molded in. I had to choose between black, coyote, and green. I really wanted one in Dewalt yellow, but they discontinued that color. My Colt is black so I decided to go with something a little different which left green or coyote for my final choice. 90% of the reason why I chose coyote was because it looked better to me. BTW, If I ever feel the "need" to camo my AR, I can paint it up whatever color I like.  

I'm glad you posted this because we both got a lesson in why Coyote/FDE is a better overall color than green. You could have e-mailed or IM'ed me and I would have been more than happy to tell you why I chose coyote, but that wouldn't have been as much fun.

The other 10% of why I chose Coyote is because I really like screwing with people who think they can make better firearms related choices for me than I can. The fact that my color choice bugged you enough to post a thread on it really made my day.

Wow! Actually, that is total coincidence. I've never seen your rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:39:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Warhorse, you should feel doubly honored because that was my first post with an emoticon and also my first with a quote!  I generally consider the people who talk the most should be listened to the least.  Regards.

Actually I was sincere about that reply.  And I totally agree.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
for looks, lets face it 80% of us will never use our civilian ARs for anything more then plinking, training or comp shooting " at least hopefully"

More like 99%

People keep saying this but every morning I wake up I feel we're getting closer to the day we will need them. Every day more and more people are siding with the dip shits who want nothing more than to see us dead. I always thought I would never need mine in my life time until I saw them towers fall. Now I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Warhorse i just admitted what you wanted right.  And that was the truth.  I built a copycat.  am i a poser in your opinion.  honestly.  i'm thick skinned

Actually in my original post I stated" in green states".  I'm from Florida where its pretty much green all year long. I was just wondering why someone "in green states" need tan ARs. Your from Rhode Island, I have no idea what your environment looks like. Hell, I would assume you might would want a white AR. And personally I don't really give a damn what color you do your AR. The post about being posers was just a joke anyway. Thats why I put a in there.To each his own.

+1 lol
RI can be very green but right now some white would be nice.  function and form i guess??   .02
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Why do you brush your "teeth" with a "tooth" brush?

Oklahomans invented the toothbrush...

... and in the famous Red River wars, threw dynamite across the border into Texas. We just lit them and threw them back. (Longhorns Rule)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I was at a 3-gun match last year and had my rifle leaning up against an old wood fence between stages. Some guys from the US Military Academy at West Point were there, and their real deal full auto M4's were leaning against the same fence. Mine is Coyote brown except for the receiver sections, where theirs were all black. More than a few people noticed the difference in color and how my rifle seemed invisible compared to the others around it. In fact, at a quick glance all you saw was the black receiver section. OD or light Tan would have stood out as much as the black.

Coyote works better than any green here in NY, between the tan grasses, sand, dirt, dogshit on the lawn and tree trunks. It's better in an urban environment too. OD is too dark and registers like black. Unless you climb alot of trees green isn't any help.

So, to answer your real question - yes, if you take your rifle out to hunt, shoot, check fencelines or things that go bump in the night, there is a legit use of brown in those supposedly green states. If you just wanted to accuse the Coyote Crowd of shameless posing, next time just come out and say it so we can skip the comparative discussion.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#40]

I guess I'm just prejudice . I just wonder how many people would be on the coyote wagon if we were'nt fighting a war in Iraq and Afganastan. I guess you can ask the same question about M4s, ACOGs, Aimpoints, ect..ect... I guess we're all posers in a round about way.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Variety.

One ARFCOMmer posted a pic showing his three identical M4geries. I just had to ask myself WTF?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Variety.

One ARFCOMmer posted a pic showing his three identical M4geries. I just had to ask myself WTF?

If you have to ask you wouldn't understand......
Not my pic

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
It's called a "tooth" brush because it was invented in Alabama.

Otherwise it would be a "Teeth" brush.

Gee, thanks there, pencil dick...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Color is less important than contrast at a distance. Up close, where the color really matters, the rifle will probably be seen anyway. Most of the green vegetation is reflective, but  camo paint is usually matte to cut down on sparkling highlights. Depending on light conditions, solid OD can easily have the "realtree effect" and look like a dark, rifle-shaped blob. Just like tigerstripe camo, which is also a very dense, dark pattern.

Tan can be matte, but have a more natural contrast, even in a greener environment. The most effective camo would be to concentrate on breaking up the distinctive shape with alternating contrast, and then worry about color matching. The eye can resolve about 1 MOA, so think about the distance you want your pattern to be optimized for. I see a lot of "digital patterns" that only work at one distance. Marpat, Cadpat, ACU, Multicam are almost fractal in the way that each group of pixels is also part of a larger pattern.

The SAS painted their landrovers PINK for desert use. It was apparently very effective.

But yeah, I think it's mostly because of the pics of Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
By the way Genesmith...the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia...anywhere else and it would have been called the teethbrush.

That was just mean!!!!  But I thought it was funny

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Variety.

Not my pic
my.voyager.net/~ebgb68/1.jpg

LOL! That was the pic I was thinking of!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Two words: Global Warming!!!

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Variety.

Not my pic
my.voyager.net/~ebgb68/1.jpg

LOL! That was the pic I was thinking of!

That photo was taken by Winston Wolfe. It was an important point in ARFCOM history and You guys showed up after the fact.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#49]
I remember that day well, very important yes indeed. Thats the day my carbine became a collapsable one
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW!

img158.imageshack.us/img158/5338/cavcrop11ja.jpg

Ameetec still has the "exotic color" furniture in grey, red, purple, yellow, blue, and pink.  (I'm talking about the regular furinture, not the Cav Arms plastic lower).  I think they still have everything except the pink pistol grips.  I got a set of Dewalt yellow from them just a couple months ago.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top