BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
So does anyone want to actually qualify their choices in equipment, or is this just going to become the usual arfcom "look at my cool conglomeration of high speed parts"?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#2]

I chose a pair of 6520s for my "perfect" AR under the "two is one, one is none" school of thought. The more stock looking of the two is the backup, whether for competition, training, or a SHTF scenario wherein I have to arm another person.

I chose 6520s because I have come to find that weight of a carbine is a major issue.  For most purposes the rifle will be carried more than shot, and even when you're shooting it you have to hold it up.  Even the strongest guy in the world is going to be able to carry a lighter load for longer than a heavier load, so weight savings is important.  The perceived reduction in accuracy for the 6520 lightweight barrel is inconsequential at worst for a so called "defensive" carbine.

I chose Colts for several reasons, but quality and such were actually second to the fact that I could get a production rifle that was very close to what I wanted right out of the box.  The lifetime warranty was of importance to me as well.

The more basic or backup AR has a few minor changes to make it more comfortable for me to shoot.  I installed an A1 pistol grip, a gapper, Colt M4 handguards, and a 6920-style front sling mount.  The rubber band on the handguards holds the sling in place for storage/transport but allows me to simply pull on the sling to deploy it.  This sling setup allows me to carry the carbine cross-chest in a more "tactical" manner, or over the shoulder should I need to tote it out of the way for long periods of time.  The reason for the changes to the rest of the parts should be self-evident.

The flattop or primary AR has a significant greater amount of changes.  The most obvious of which is the change from the A2 to A3 upper.  I had ADCO swap them out while they were installing the Daniel Defense 9.0 rail and shaving the stock FSB for me.  I chose the Daniel Defense for weight reasons as well as the fact that it can be installed over the shaved FSB.  I chose to shave the FSB so that I didn't have to worry about a gas block installed with set-screws.  This way I could retain the taper pin connection which I believe to be more secure.  I chose the 9.0 because I like having more barrel coverage when I drop the carbine on the sling to transition to a sidearm.  I have burned my leg on the barrel of more than one rifle in the past and I can tell you it sucks.

I chose Troy BUIS front and rear because:
1) They flip down out of the way and don't obscure my sight picture.
2) I like the HK style sight picture that the circular hood of the front sight gives you.
3) The stock FSB is not an "F" and may not have worked with a rear BUIS without a taller FSP.

I chose the Tango Down pistol grip for battery storage and because it performs the same function as a gapper.  I also like the texture of the grip.

I will be adding a Vltor stock if the Magpul CTR doesn't come out soon.  I would prefer the CTR, but like the light weight of the Vltor.  I need to see final weight numbers on the CTR to finalize my decision.

The compact ACOG was chosen due to my astigmatism.  I like the Aimpoint, but the dot can get blurry sometimes and I don't have that problem with the ACOG.  The 1.5x ACOG allows me to still view my BUIS through the optic, or "cowitness" without removing the optic.  I used a Larue compact ACOG mount because it prefer it to the ARMS mount.

I will eventually also be adding a surefire light on a Larue #17 mount so that I can readily detach it when I'm not using it.  I may add a vertical pistol grip (likely Tango Down) eventually but I actually prefer the magwell grip and I generally don't shoot the gun enough for the magwell or other parts to get too hot to handle.  Even if I did, I would be wearing gloves which will help alleviate this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So does anyone want to actually qualify their choices in equipment, or is this just going to become the usual arfcom "look at my cool conglomeration of high speed parts"?

"qualify"... do you mean "justify"?

I chose a 16" bbl since it is a happy medium between compactness and velocity.  The midlength gas system is a tad more reliable and softer shooting than the other options.

The rifle length handguard gives me plenty of rail-space and also allows me to brace the rifle in pretty much any situation without touching the barrel with the barracade/rest/etc.

The MagPul stock provides a great cheek rest and frankly, I like how it works and looks.

The MIAD is the best grip available for the AR15, in my opinion.

The Pentagon light is there for CQB out to about 50 yds.  I went with Pentagon because it is just as good as a SureFire at a third of the price.

The Leupy MR/T was chosen over the ACOG TA31F that I tried because it is a variable magnification optic with a reticle that is better designed for precision shots.  Also, from what I have read, the Leupy with SPR reticle illuminated is quicker for CQB than the ACOG.

I'm going with a QD bipod because I won't need the bipod on there at all times but when I need it, it will definitely help with accuracy.

Everything else is self-explanatory.

For a dedicated CQB firearm, I'm gonna build a semi-MP5-A3 from an HK-94 that will be SBR'd.  I prefer pistol calibers indoors since the muzzle blast is much tamer and less disorienting.  Plus, the MP5 will be much more compact for moving around inside.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I like what  Cylic240B come up with :
------------------------------------
For medium range accuracy, my idea on a no budget weapon....

LMT lower with LMT 2-Stage Trigger
WOA Upper
Douglas 12 flute SDM spec' barrel >>>>   Or a Kreiger barrel
PRI SS Gas Block
Smith Ent. Vortex
Daniel Defense 12.0 forearm w/ AMU spec' steel barrel nut
KNS pins
CMT CL/MP tested M16 BCG
PRI M84 Gasbuster Changing Handle
Troy F/R BUIS
ARMS 30mm high rings
Leupold Mk 4 3-9x36mm MR/T

I for got >>>LW Special Forces Limitied Edition rifle

Either one of these set ups would mkake me Very Happy   -

Nothing wrong with Dreaming    
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is no ultimate/do all.  Determine what do you want to use this tool for and build accordingly.

My thoughts exactly.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I mean qualify

qual·i·fy   Audio pronunciation of "qualify"
v. qual·i·fied, qual·i·fy·ing, qual·i·fies
v. tr.
  1. To describe by enumerating the characteristics or qualities of; characterize.

On a similar note though, it would also help if people explained how they came to the conclusions that they did.  Did you generate your opinions based on training?  competing?  reading arfcom?  looking at pictures?  trying other gear? etc.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I mean qualify

qual·i·fy   Audio pronunciation of "qualify"
v. qual·i·fied, qual·i·fy·ing, qual·i·fies
v. tr.
  1. To describe by enumerating the characteristics or qualities of; characterize.

On a similar note though, it would also help if people explained how they came to the conclusions that they did.  Did you generate your opinions based on training?  competing?  reading arfcom?  looking at pictures?  trying other gear? etc.

Oh ok, I had never seen qualify used that way.

I came to my conclusions based on field use with other gear and some of it was based on what I read from some VERY reputable sources.

I haven't received any training yet, aside from the limited training I got while I was in the USMC (I was discharged after 12 months due to an injury).  As soon as I'm done with college I plan to start taking as many courses as I can.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/171062/18276916520s.jpg

I chose a pair of 6520s for my "perfect" AR under the "two is one, one is none" school of thought. The more stock looking of the two is the backup, whether for competition, training, or a SHTF scenario wherein I have to arm another person.

I chose 6520s because I have come to find that weight of a carbine is a major issue.  For most purposes the rifle will be carried more than shot, and even when you're shooting it you have to hold it up.  Even the strongest guy in the world is going to be able to carry a lighter load for longer than a heavier load, so weight savings is important.  The perceived reduction in accuracy for the 6520 lightweight barrel is inconsequential at worst for a so called "defensive" carbine.

I chose Colts for several reasons, but quality and such were actually second to the fact that I could get a production rifle that was very close to what I wanted right out of the box.  The lifetime warranty was of importance to me as well.

The more basic or backup AR has a few minor changes to make it more comfortable for me to shoot.  I installed an A1 pistol grip, a gapper, Colt M4 handguards, and a 6920-style front sling mount.  The rubber band on the handguards holds the sling in place for storage/transport but allows me to simply pull on the sling to deploy it.  This sling setup allows me to carry the carbine cross-chest in a more "tactical" manner, or over the shoulder should I need to tote it out of the way for long periods of time.  The reason for the changes to the rest of the parts should be self-evident.

The flattop or primary AR has a significant greater amount of changes.  The most obvious of which is the change from the A2 to A3 upper.  I had ADCO swap them out while they were installing the Daniel Defense 9.0 rail and shaving the stock FSB for me.  I chose the Daniel Defense for weight reasons as well as the fact that it can be installed over the shaved FSB.  I chose to shave the FSB so that I didn't have to worry about a gas block installed with set-screws.  This way I could retain the taper pin connection which I believe to be more secure.  I chose the 9.0 because I like having more barrel coverage when I drop the carbine on the sling to transition to a sidearm.  I have burned my leg on the barrel of more than one rifle in the past and I can tell you it sucks.

I chose Troy BUIS front and rear because:
1) They flip down out of the way and don't obscure my sight picture.
2) I like the HK style sight picture that the circular hood of the front sight gives you.
3) The stock FSB is not an "F" and may not have worked with a rear BUIS without a taller FSP.

I chose the Tango Down pistol grip for battery storage and because it performs the same function as a gapper.  I also like the texture of the grip.

I will be adding a Vltor stock if the Magpul CTR doesn't come out soon.  I would prefer the CTR, but like the light weight of the Vltor.  I need to see final weight numbers on the CTR to finalize my decision.

The compact ACOG was chosen due to my astigmatism.  I like the Aimpoint, but the dot can get blurry sometimes and I don't have that problem with the ACOG.  The 1.5x ACOG allows me to still view my BUIS through the optic, or "cowitness" without removing the optic.  I used a Larue compact ACOG mount because it prefer it to the ARMS mount.

I will eventually also be adding a surefire light on a Larue #17 mount so that I can readily detach it when I'm not using it.  I may add a vertical pistol grip (likely Tango Down) eventually but I actually prefer the magwell grip and I generally don't shoot the gun enough for the magwell or other parts to get too hot to handle.  Even if I did, I would be wearing gloves which will help alleviate this.

In the spirit of the thread's goal I would like to critque in_burrito's rifles.

The top one: Why have an A2 upper? If you were going to arm someone else, and they did not have much training, the A2 targtet sight would confuse them; and a taget sight on a carbine is overkill anyway. You should have chosen an A1/C7 upper for simplicity.

The bottom one: I mostly agree with your set-up except for the shaved sight base. Since you opted for the 9" hanguard, which totally covers the gas block, set screw would be a viable option since it will never be exposed to danger.

Both: Why Colt? Since you rebuilt the bottom one, your life-time warranty is voided. Also, while you choice of a lightweight barrel profile is commendable, you should have gone to a Midlength gas system; we all know the reasons why.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't remember where on this site I found this pic, but I think it was one of the dealers here that made it...

I love the look of it, but I'd go with a 14.5" barrel and an eotech instead.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The top one: Why have an A2 upper? If you were going to arm someone else, and they did not have much training, the A2 targtet sight would confuse them; and a taget sight on a carbine is overkill anyway. You should have chosen an A1/C7 upper for simplicity.

I actually don't think that an A1 is really all that functionally different than an A2.  They also don't make a complete 5.56 rifle with an A1 sight that I'm aware of.

The bottom one: I mostly agree with your set-up except for the shaved sight base. Since you opted for the 9" hanguard, which totally covers the gas block, set screw would be a viable option since it will never be exposed to danger.

I just don't trust set-screws, and don't see the need for it.  What would I have gained by using a low profile gas block that I didn't achieve with the shaved FSB?

Both: Why Colt?

I don't want to get into a debate over brands yet again, but suffice it to say that I think that Colt's are the best and are worth the extra cost.

Also, while you choice of a lightweight barrel profile is commendable, you should have gone to a Midlength gas system; we all know the reasons why.

I disagree.  I think that the so called "reasons" that people go with a mid-length gas system are anecdotal at best.  I also wouldn't be able to buy a complete rifle, let alone a colt, with a midlength A1 barrel.  In fact, can I buy an A1 midlength 5.56 chamber chrome lined MPI 4150 barrel with M4 ramps anywhere?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone.  I know exactly what I want, I just don't know who manufactures some of it.  Still looking for a match grade unlined fluted 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]
HK417A

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
NO ONE TELL ME THAT MY BUIS IS MOUNTED WRONG!!!!!

I took this pic after just slapping the crap on the gun real quick, noticed it after the first person told me it was wrong.

Here she is:

i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/bigblackrifle/Damn.jpg

That's on wrong?  If you have it wrong then what about this one?

Looks like the same thing mounted the same way.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NO ONE TELL ME THAT MY BUIS IS MOUNTED WRONG!!!!!

I took this pic after just slapping the crap on the gun real quick, noticed it after the first person told me it was wrong.

Here she is:

i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/bigblackrifle/Damn.jpg

That's on wrong?  If you have it wrong then what about this one?

Looks like the same thing mounted the same way.

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/HK33K/OlyM4s.jpg

see how his is mounted up on the ARMS and not down on the rail of the upper
see how much higher it is there than compared to the fsb.
yours is right his is wrong
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Money no object?.....

FN SCAR L .... hands down.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Can't remember where on this site I found this pic, but I think it was one of the dealers here that made it...

socomoc.homestead.com/files/greenmachine.jpg
I love the look of it, but I'd go with a 14.5" barrel and an eotech instead.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
My brother just got the Fulton Armory Legacy Model (a replica of an A1) and we shot it the other day.  It is niiiiiiiiiiiiice.  I'll have to post pics.  But They balance very well, the stock is better for a fixed one than an A2, it's light, it doesn't have any unnecessary add on's (says under his breath "forward assist", just kidding), the sights are nice (although I'm not of the school that A2 sights are "unnecessary") and it's just an all around great rifle.  You gotta hear that thing when it shoots.  I swear that  chrome bolt "tings" when it's being shot.  Maybe they had it right once they got to that model?  I don't know, but it's very nice.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok here goes

Colt Commando built on a SP1 AR15 marked lower ( no protective rails around mag release)
10 1/2 A2 upper H Bar barrel with standard colt front sight with bayo lug A2 flash hider
Hough Rubber Grip
Classic slim line car15 hand gaurds (not fattys)
2 postion aluminum COLT collapsible stock
ELCAN scope on top
Beta C Mag
3 point tactical sling
and a Gapper to get rid of that annoying hole behind the trigger gaurd
( I mailed the Form 1 1 week ago, now the hard part WAITING)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top