Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 11:27:39 PM EDT
over the time my ar and i have spent together its picked up some battle wounds... what are the chances of the scratches and chips rusting? should i get it refinished or am i safe
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
100%
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Your gun is made of aluminum. No rust unless it's some bizzaro steel clone.
Or are you talking about the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
alum. also oxidizes without a coating ..
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
alum. also oxidizes without a coating ..

+1  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
will it oxidize at a fast enough pace where it will cause a problem..possibly pitting the receiver?? or is this something that i should not worry about
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#6]
only thing I could think of that would rust the door over the ejection port.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I've noticed some rust on the barrel where the front sight base mates with it.

I think it all depends on how you clean and store your firearm.

- BG
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:00:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Al rust aka al oxide is a benfit to al. No need to worry about it. anodizing is a process that rusts al.

Ferous parts, just keep a light coat of oil on them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]
good morning,
  ex-gi here, from looking at all the m16's we had in our armory, you really should not worry about rust. yes, it can rust or oxidize, but keep it slicked up with some good ole clp and it'll be ok. all those scratches add character. these are war rifles! hooah!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
alum. also oxidizes without a coating anodizing..

And that all anodizing does is create a thick(er) layer of aluminium oxide.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:59:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Dont worry about it dude, that aluminum is just fine, Now the steel, just keep it cleaned, as long as you clean it and take care of it you wont need to worry about rust.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:43:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#13]
mostly my lower receiver and a few on the upper receiver and buttstock
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#15]
You would have to scratch a receiver pretty good to get to bare aluminium. It isn't enough to just remove the phosphate, you also have to scratch through the anodizing, which is pretty hard IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#17]
How does Hg react with aluminum?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're worried about the scratches and you actually use your rifle and aren't worried about it being pretty, just spray it with some Krylon and be done with it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#19]
The one combination not to ever use is graphite for a lubricant not only is it too abrasive for aluminum but exposure to salt water with graphite+aluminum=galvonic corrosion..that being said I was up in vermont recently and in a gun shop where an AR displayed on the wall looked like it had been burnt but the furniture was intact.I asked the owner what happened.He said it was stolen 2 months before and recovered from a fresh water pond that happens to be a drain off for cow manure from a local dairy farm.It was taken from the mud at the bottom of the pond bed  after at the most 2 months or less and it looked like it was under water in the ocean for like 10 years..all steel heavily rusted and the receivers looked crackled like it had been in a fire...cow crap must have amonia nad other crap in it for that to happen.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've noticed some rust on the barrel where the front sight base mates with it.

I think it all depends on how you clean and store your firearm.

- BG

I noticed that on both of mine. I don't know how it happened as they were the only ones with rust in my safe, and I kept them oiled pretty well.

I used it as an excuse to get them Duracoated in camo. (was getting sick of black only.....added some color).

DW
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top