Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 6:13:41 PM EDT
Price limit is a strict $100 (not including shipping).

This is for a 20" govt profile barrel.

Which one would you buy and why?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
YHM, Hogue or a plain, simple aluminum one sold by half a dozen dealers in the Industry board would be about your only options
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the Bushmaster one any better/worse than the rest? It is vented, and has sling stud for $95.

I just don't know if one installs easier (without special tools) or if there's something that really makes one better than another.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
they are all basically the same....h/w, depending on how the bbl nut/FF HG installs you will either need a 3 prong FF wrench (its on the Bushmaster armory wrench) or a strap wrench

i have no personal expience on the bushy FF that you are refering to
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
By 3 prong, does that work the same as the USGI barrel nut wrench, or something entirely different?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a bushmaster varminter rifle FF handguard (the vented one).  It is a 3 piece unit and works well IMO.  1 piece replaces the stock barrel nut and is tightened in place with a normal barrel nut wrench.  The second piece is the tube itself which screws onto the outside of the new barrel nut.  However, this tube needs to be indexed and locked in place (align the vents and sling stud) so the 3rd piece is a locking ring which screws first onto the barrel nut.  To install it correctly, you need a good strap wrench to tighten the float tube (part #2) to the lock ring (part #3).  You could use weak locktite to keep the float tube from coming loose, but it is designed to be held by the friction/pressure between the 2 pieces.  I used a good pair of leather gloves and twisted it on tight; time will tell if that is tight enough.  I may have to buy a strap wrench.  The bushmaster website has installation instructions but they aren't easy to find IIRC.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Hiperform has a 20" carbon fiber full float tube. $110, but you get more than you pay for. Carbon fiber float tubes don't get hot like aluminum ones do, and they are lighter. Later you can buy PRI rails from ADCO and easily attach them if you want them. http://www.hiperform.com/hand-guards.htm
Good luck.

Long Range

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm if only $10 saves me over a 1/2lbs I'm liking that idea. I'll search for the Bushmaster instructions. I've installed barrels on uppers before, so I'm not a total newbie, but I've never done the FF deal. Like to research before hand, and ask the experts here for some advice which I appreciate very much.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top