Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/2/2006 5:13:42 PM EDT
Greetings!~

Just wanted to say hi and ask a question -

I've got a Colt Sporter. Its an older one. Serial SP81xxx range. I think its a 70's manufacture, have no real idea. Its original, except that the finish was pretty bad when I got it, so I disassembled it down to every last pin, spring, and washer, and K-Kote'd everything. Came out great, looks nice, shoots nice, no issues at all.

Except hing
The idea of stainless steel appeals to me. The idea of keeping the K-Kote parts for use with the stainless barrel appeals to me.

Even the idea of a 16 inch barrel appeals to me.

Thing is I cant find any light contour stainless barrels. I have found 20 inch stainless barrels with the heavy contour... thing is I dont have access to a lathe anymore. The gas block section of my barrel is (from memory) .6xx inches. I think its like .635 or something like that. Heavy contour barrels are generally something like .750, so its a bit of thinning that would be needed. Not un-doable, but I'd have to pay or barter or beg for some lathe time, and tooling.

What has me all in a undecided mood is.... am I barking up the wrong tree here? Should I just keep the Colt as is and go find something with a faster twist. Which leads to... is anyone making a rifle with a 16 inch stainless preban type barrel?

Many thanks for all your input!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:47:15 PM EDT
Personally, I would leave it as is. I would not alter the rifle just to shoot heavier bullets more accurately. That being said, welcome to the board. Would like to see your K-Kote Colt, so please post pics if possible.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:59:22 PM EDT
I can post some pics! Gotta wait till the weekend, but no problemo!

So how about a choice for a rifle then? I want to keep the weight down, like stainless, and accuracy does not need to be match grade. I only shoot with iron sites.

In fact, you're gonna get a picture of the scopemount I made and never use too!~
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:11 PM EDT
Here's the scope mount....

http://www.blueshottub.com/mount1.gif
I made it from some bar stock. Surface ground it to .500 "exactly" and then whittled on it with the Bridgeport for a bit. The screw and nut are stainless. I turned the nut from some 1 inch bar stock. The black thing under the mount is the clamp, made from a solid bar of teflon. Yup solid teflon - got it from a mold maker I was friendly with back when. It cant be painted, but it did accept some dye. Not perfect. The mount has Redfield rings on it, and I sent the rings and mount out and had em parkerized (for the HBAR I used to have). Never got around to K-Kote'ing this, as I never really use it.

http://www.blueshottub.com/mount2.gif
I been told I got a bit carried away with the machining, but hey, its "art"!~
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:06 PM EDT
Maybe check into getting a Bushmaster. They have have a 1:9 twist which would be a good in between twist rate suitable for both light and heavy bullets. You may check into their 16in superlight model ( pencil barrell) and see if they also come with the 1:9 twist like their H-Bar models. I am a Colt lover (model 6520 ), but have also had good luck with Bushmasters products.

Top Top