Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/2/2006 4:38:13 AM EDT
It was a gorgeous day yesterday here in JAX. The weather man said the beginning mid-week it be sunny and clear so I brought my gun and stuff to work and headed to the range straight from work. Damn was he right, it was about 80 out when I got to the range. I love living in FL.

I had two boxes of 40 rounds with me to shoot.

Funny thing about shooting the AR. I got a better hit when I shot quick. Meaning if I took the time, more than 3 seconds to aim, my shot wasn't as good as if I got my sight picture, fired, realigned my sight picture after the recoil (what little recoil there is...lol) and fired as soon as I was on target. I don't have the best eyesight so that my be why.

Here's the target I shot at last. I'm pretty sure there's 20 shots there. 4 strings of 5.

This was @25 yards, iron sights, on a sand bag rest.

(click for larger pic)

I still think I can do better and I think the barrel isn't fully broken in yet, yesterday only made 200 round total through it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:44:33 AM EDT
Oh yeah, here's the gun.

My gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:52:43 AM EDT
Looks good, excellent grouping with the exception that IMO, your zero'd for the wrong range, as my M4s are zeroed for 50 yards.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:06:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:13:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 6:14:29 AM EDT by AJ-IN-JAX]

Originally Posted By Stickman:
If this was your first time firing and sighting in an AR15, you are off to a good start. Next time you go out, use a smaller target, and you will find your groups shrinking.

If you are shooting tighter groups while firing quicker, you may want to download one of the military manuals that covers the fundamentals of marksmanship. Will do. My eyesight knida sucks and I find that if I hold too long things get blurry and it's hard to focus.

The distance you sight in for is up to you, and there are pros and cons to everything. Its worth reading some of the other threads regarding sighting distances, and why people use the different ones.

Lastly, wheres the pic of the weapon? Click the link in my second post

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 6:28:19 AM EDT by Interceptor_Knight]

Nice first AR

Try holding the top of the front sight post center mass if you are not doing it already.. The front sight post should the only thing in 100% focus. Do some dry fire practicing at home and get used to the trigger feel when you squeeze it. It will take some practice to get good. Any kind of optic will improve your groups. Keep in mind that your groups would probably be smaller with a longer barrel which would give you a longer sight raidius, so don't worry if you are not shooting 1MOA right away.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:09:05 AM EDT
Great looking rifle. You will get better with time
Top Top