Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2006 10:42:13 PM EDT
After finished with my home-work I decided to take out my AR and take everything apart for deep clean (since I haven't had time to clean it for the past few months) anyhow, after I got done with cleaning it and it's time to put them back together (everything was put on like the way it was before but only one thing missing is a Select Safety Detents <=l pin. I spent almost 45 mins crawled on the ground to find it but it gone. . argh I'm pissed
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
cheer up emo kid
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Spare parts are your friend
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Spare parts are your friend

Ahhh my first rifle! Many years and many, many thousands of dollars later and I'm still accumulating spare parts.

It never ends.

ETA get a magnet. I have a big one from a broken stereo speaker.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:57:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
you tear down the whole rifle when you clean it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1?
A "cleaning" does NOT mean stripping it down to an arsenal parts level. You have just confirmed the old saying that "more damage is done by overcleaning than by shooting". Cleaning does mean paying attention to those areas primarily/directly involved in the cycling/firing of the rifle.

You have just discovered the reason there is no functional reason to remove detent springs, detent pins, buffer tubes or to disassemble any other major component groups beyond that required for a decent field level cleaning unless they are broken. You don't remove the gas rings, barrel, gas block, FSB, FCG without risking more than it is worth AND especially if you DON"T have ANY spare parts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

holy deep deuche batman.

Not knocking you - sounds like a decent little project there but I guess a lost pin is always a hazard.  i always keep a LPK on hand in case I need something which I have in the past then I just backfill as needed.  No downtime.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you sure it didn't stay in the lower?  On all my ARs the detent has to be pushed out from the top after the spring is removed.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Who really NEEDS a Select Safety Switch anway?  You load; you shoot.  End of story.  
Spare parts are your friend...so is Ed's Red and/or Kroil for cleaning areas you can't reach any other way.
Homemade Ed's Red  

Kroil
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
No need to tear it that far down for cleaning... Thats what Break Free action cleaner is used for...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#11]
....or the cheaper brake cleaner
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]
A good time and reason  to stock up on backup parts
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Spare parts tool box - get one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Next time keep the grip on.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah.. i learned my lesson. next time i just gonna use swab and airbrush and apply CLP ..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top