Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2006 10:06:55 PM EDT
Hi guys

Ive been reading through these forumes for weeks now, and I think I am ready to buy my first AR.
I want to buy a rather standard quality flattop AR, a number of accesories, and have a gunsmith/shop put it all together for me, as I dont have the tools nor the knowledge to do that.

Here is a list of the parts I want to use:
- Any standard Bushmaster or RRA flattop AR (some recommendations here would be nice)
- Troy MRF MX midlength modular forearm
- VLTOR clubfoot stock
- Troy low profile flip up front and rear sights
- Magpul MIAD grip
- EOTech optics

I am not sure how I should go about purchasing all these parts.
I live in Denver, and there is a great store down in Co. Springs that have a lot of ARs and accesories. I am not sure if they caryy Troy products. Is it a good idea to go down there, buy all the parts from them and have them put it together for me?
I am thinking I can get it slightly cheaper if I buy the parts online, but then I would have to find someone to put it together.

Any tips and hints on what to do is greatly apprecieated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I highly suggest getting the CROSS system from POF.  If I could re-do all of my 7 ARs, that is what I would have done.  Get a surefire M900 light, they are awsome.  Also, get the sure-grip.  It is much better than the standard plastic crap.  BTW, you really don't need a gunsmith to dothis for you.  If you read the forums, you can do it all yourself.  It is amazingly easy to assemble an AR.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input. I am kind of sold on the Troy MRF though.
What I really would like some advice on is what AR to use as a base. I am looking for an affordable quality AR, like a basic flattop Bushmaster. They cost around $900 right? Or is there a way to make it cheaper, as I am replacing a lot of the parts?

I would love to put it together myself, its just that I dont have any experience and I dont want to run into problems with my first AR just because I didnt put it together the best way possible..

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input. I am kind of sold on the Troy MRF though.
What I really would like some advice on is what AR to use as a base. I am looking for an affordable quality AR, like a basic flattop Bushmaster. They cost around $900 right? Or is there a way to make it cheaper, as I am replacing a lot of the parts?

I would love to put it together myself, its just that I dont have any experience and I dont want to run into problems with my first AR just because I didnt put it together the best way possible..

The parts you listed were mainly bolt-on pieces, except for the 4-rail handguard.  I don't know how that particular forearm attaches, so getting a gunsmith to do it might be best.  As for the other parts, put them on yourself.  

As for the host rifle, here's where you can save some money.  Buy it in parts, and buy it online.  You'll save the excise tax (10%) and any sales tax (8.25% in TX.)  Go to the Industry Dealer partners, and peruse their inventory.  You can order Bushmaster lowers with RRA 2-stage triggers, or a number of other options.  You can order complete lowers (no building necessary) with or without buttstocks, so you don't have extra parts you paid for cluttering up your gun-room.  You'll have to find a local FFL dealer to transfer in your lower, that usually costs $25 or so.  That's a bargain for what you'll save by doing this.  

Now pick out an upper from one of the MANY to choose from.  You can have the upper delivered to your home, no FFL needed.  Don't place both orders at the same time, or most shops will go ahead and charge the excise tax.  Order them a day apart or from two different vendors.  

I have and love a CMMG rifle.  Stag rifles are good.  Denny's Guns (Global Tactical) is highly recommended, as are a dozen other smaller companies.  Stay away from Hesse/Vulcan (they're not industry partners anyway, so just stick with industry partners.)  Check out Eagle Firearms.  They have great products (I've ordered a couple lowers from them.)  

Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a guy by the name of Samuel Adams buyilt my AR, he's in Dumont. he did a great job and I would recommend him again.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The parts you listed were mainly bolt-on pieces, except for the 4-rail handguard.  I don't know how that particular forearm attaches, so getting a gunsmith to do it might be best.  As for the other parts, put them on yourself.  

As for the host rifle, here's where you can save some money.  Buy it in parts, and buy it online.  You'll save the excise tax (10%) and any sales tax (8.25% in TX.)  Go to the Industry Dealer partners, and peruse their inventory.  You can order Bushmaster lowers with RRA 2-stage triggers, or a number of other options.  You can order complete lowers (no building necessary) with or without buttstocks, so you don't have extra parts you paid for cluttering up your gun-room.  You'll have to find a local FFL dealer to transfer in your lower, that usually costs $25 or so.  That's a bargain for what you'll save by doing this.  

Now pick out an upper from one of the MANY to choose from.  You can have the upper delivered to your home, no FFL needed.  Don't place both orders at the same time, or most shops will go ahead and charge the excise tax.  Order them a day apart or from two different vendors.  

I have and love a CMMG rifle.  Stag rifles are good.  Denny's Guns (Global Tactical) is highly recommended, as are a dozen other smaller companies.  Stay away from Hesse/Vulcan (they're not industry partners anyway, so just stick with industry partners.)  Check out Eagle Firearms.  They have great products (I've ordered a couple lowers from them.)  

Have fun!

Thats exactly what I needed to hear, thanks a lot jwise. I actually think I might end up doing just that. I will spend some time looking for parts in the Industry forums, and eventually order the separate parts. But I have a few more quick questions:

1.  Regarding the FFL needed for the lower: Do I go to a store and have them order the lower for me, from a vendor that I find? I didnt quite understand that part.

2. Also, lets make sure I have understood what parts I will need:
- A complete lower
- An upper (do they come "complete", or do I need to buy the internals?)
- Bolt carrier assembly and charging handle (or do they come witht he upper?)
- A barrel with a gas block and flashhider
- A stock
- A modular forearm

Is that the basics I need to make the rifleusable ? After that I wil slap on the accesories.

schaferhunde, thanks for the tip.
-ReconRules
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#6]
When I think about it, it looks like buying a complete upper (barrel, upper reciever combo ) combo is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#7]
If your dealer dosn't have the troy handgaurds. Ask about the Samson M.R.F.S. I belive that they are the same design and manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Kind of a thread hijack, but would that be MUSM Recon?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When I think about it, it looks like buying a complete upper (barrel, upper reciever combo ) combo is the way to go.

That's what I did, for both my rifles. Easy, and you save up a bit over a complete rifle. My latest build-in-progress is an M4-like rifle. I ordered a complete upper from CMMG, and I have an order for a complete lower from Superior Arms. I'll end up with a high-quality M4 clone for under $800. Can't beat that!

I have a question regarding the Troy midlength stock. Does it fit into midlength uppers only? If so, that precludes Bushmaster, since they dont' make ML, but RRA does.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Kind of a thread hijack, but would that be MUSM Recon?

No, I was in a Long Range Recon unit in Norway two years ago..

Thanks for all the input guys, it definately seems like a complete lower half + complete upper half is the way to go.
Now, of course, it is time to figure out what parts to get. I've been looking around and there are tons of options. I've been looking at RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, CMMG, Superior Arms, Armalite etc..

How should I go about choosing an upper and a lower? They all seem to be priced pretty similar for the most part.
Will all uppers fit all lowers? Will the Troy MRF fit all uppers?

thanks again guys
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]
My advice to you is to post in the Colorado hometown forum and see if you can hook up with some of the members there and then check out their guns.

I am old school, I think you should start off with a "slick" AR15, no lights, optics, rails or kitchen sinks.

Build or buy, then make sure it works.

Then after playing with other AR15's that have the toys on them make your decision.

Buying parts vs buying a complete AR15 means you won't be paying the federal tax on a "complete" firearm.  

Buying parts lets you get what you want.

I have a few mixmaster AR15's, I have not had any major fitment issues with the Oly, Rock River, Stag, Bushmaster, Colt, Fulton and Mega uppers/lowers.

You might have a tight takedown pin here and there, nothing that a little emery cloth on the pin can't fix.

That's my 2 cents....

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive been looking around and there sure are a lot of options. They all seem the same though, especially the lowers.

What if I go with this flattop upper:
Bushmaster 16in M4type preban

and this lower:
Bushmaster Complete lower w/out stock

Then I slap on a VLTOR clubfoot kit (with mil spec tube), a Troy MRF forearm, and flip up sights.

Isnt that technically all I need? At least to begin with?

Im sure there are a little cheaper alternatives out there in terms of uppers and lower assemblies, but BM has a good reputation and the pricedifference doesnt seem to be very much. But, are there a lot BETTER assemblies out there that I can put together?
Suggestions like that would be great.

And finally, all that requires an FFL is the assembled lower, is that correct?

thanks a lot guys, I cant wait to begin this project

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top