Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:15:13 PM EDT
I tried 3 different brands of ammo. They load fine- and the pin leaves a
dimple, but the round won't fire. I looked at the pin and it looks good.
Any ideas?

The only Ammo that occasionally works is American Eagle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:11:57 PM EDT
For what little it's worth, Wolf has a 20% reliability in my Colt. I have no problems with Winchester, Remington, or South African Ball, some Old Hanson was fine as well. Check Firing Pin protrusion, what else is there?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:37:28 PM EDT
I had a 7.62 upper that did the same thing yours is doing. I bought Winchester ammo and it shot great. it sucks because I bought it to shoot the cheap crap and it wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:41:49 PM EDT
do you have a competition spring kit in your lower or something like a Jp light spring. my lower had a Jp reduced tension spring in it did the same thing i put a differant lower with standard spring and same ammo shot no problem

you might try a heavier tension spring in it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:44:02 PM EDT
Interesting thought, I have a Jewel in mine, and it is light...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:21:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BILLBO:
do you have a competition spring kit in your lower or something like a Jp light spring. my lower had a Jp reduced tension spring in it did the same thing i put a differant lower with standard spring and same ammo shot no problem

you might try a heavier tension spring in it.

is the spring and firing pin the same ones used in the 5.56 Lowers? if not where would be a good place to get / order one...thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:33:38 PM EDT
My Colt is 100% reliable with Wolf and Norinco Ammo. I would start by checking the headspace. Excessive headspace will give light primer strikes when a round does not fire. Firing pin and hammer spring are the same in 5.56mm & 7.62X39mm.
HTH,
Carey
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:44:10 PM EDT
I think the comm bloc 7.62x39 requires a heavy primer hit. AK's use floating firing pins and they often mark the primer just by chambering a round, they also have stout hammer springs. I've also noticed 5.56 AK's, Chinese anyway, have spring loaded firing pins.

I'm new to AR's, can you get a heavier hammer spring?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:13:21 PM EDT
I dont know if the colt 7.62 bolts are the same a regular ARs but on most 7.62 builds you have to file the end of the bolt down a couple of thoundanths to get reliable stikes. Check your headspace first.
Top Top