User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Evening All

It seems that I too am heading toward the  dark nasty side  of the AR15.    I've been a .30 guy for a long time now and the AR is everywhere.   The cost of a new barrel on an AK is the price of a new AK and the only ones you can get are those Romanians.  You could up the cost and get a vepr but at that weight I might as well go back to my NM M1A.  

As for the M1A like I said it is HEAVY especially when you load down with twenty mags in your kit.   Saw a great deal on a PTR-K with rails and M4 stock but that thing is heavy too and the mag weight issue is almost as bad (aluminum HK91 mags vs steel M1A mags).

Got the chance to shoot an AR at the range and well I got to give the AR thumbs up on ergonomics.   That plus tons of affordable armorers, after market parts, manuals and ammo.  So for me I can give up the 500m advantage an M1A gives for something more portable.  Like almost everyone says most  combat takes place at 300m or less now a days and if I need the range  I still have the M1A.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]
no offense to anyone who owns a vepr but for that price why not get an ar. Plus the vepr is ugly in my opinion.

why do you keep the tac point in the closet?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
no offense to anyone who owns a vepr but for that price why not get an ar. Plus the vepr is ugly in my opinion.

Yeah if you buy them new, but I got my VEPR for a really great price. - And ya think they look ugly till you shoot and one and its the best shooting AK youve ever touched.

OK rant over.

Those cheap red dots really arent much. If I were you and wanted the later option of an EOTech I would get the flat top with a back up Iron sight or a detachable carry handle. That way when you get and extra $300 and want to buy a good optic you can.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
ok, i think i will do that. How much did you get your vepr for? are they as accurate as an ar?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ok, i think i will do that. How much did you get your vepr for? are they as accurate as an ar?

I traded an AR upper for it. Only time Ive grouped it so far it shot 2.5 inch groups at 100yds with wolf ammo. With more time/better ammo I feel it could do better.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
not bad
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

why do you keep the tac point in the closet?

Let's not go dissing VEPRs!  

I like mine, but you are correct, they are front heavy.  However, that weight is what makes it shoot so well.  I paid $540 several years ago.  

I actually ARified an AK once.  The Tacpoint was part of that endeavor.  I have since repented, and have put it back to "normal."  I hesitate posting this picture, but this is the AR side of the forum.  Kalahnkid, don't tell the dark side members what I did!

I'll sell the Ultimak too, if anyone wants it.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#8]
im tellin everyone on the darkside you mounted a tacpoint on your ak. ooooooohhhhhh your in troubbbbble.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice VEPR though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently went from messing with AKs to ARs when I put together a CAR for less than $500.00. I already had a A-2 Bushmaster 20'' just to say I had one. Now I have an A-3 20'' also. I can tell you one thing for certain, after I get a EOtech (roughly the cost of a Sar-1) for the CAR, I am going back to the AKs for my fun guns. This AR thing is just too expensive (and addictive). The weapons run OK but are just are not as much fun as a AK. There are too many little things to worry about that you don't with an AK. Even the lubes cost a lot and who the hell ever heard of breaking in an AK. For what you will pay for your first AR you could get yourself a SA-M7 milled rec. carbine from Arsenal or one of the 5.45x39 Arsenal AKs (for less recoil) and save hundreds on "must have" acessories like the EOtech I've convinced myself that I need. Hell for $450.00 you can get a Yugo underfolder. You will be hard pressed get a decent AR upper for that price. Its not like I'm poor, I am far along enough in life that I can afford the AR addiction but the prudent side of me says enough already. Wait till you have that high paying job after collage to buy the AR stuff. Then you can go hog wild and be able to afford the addiction. I know one thing, after building a couple of AKs, building a AR is a piece of cake, and a lot cheaper than buying a whole one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah i hear you. Ive already got an ak though and i want something accurate. Im going to bulid it myself so i will be spending between 5 and 6 hundred on it, but it will be accurate (hopefully). Id much rather have that than the yugo underfolder.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not a Thing wrong with haveing both, Enjoy the best of both hr

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I recently went from messing with AKs to ARs when I put together a CAR for less than $500.00. I already had a A-2 Bushmaster 20'' just to say I had one. Now I have an A-3 20'' also. I can tell you one thing for certain, after I get a EOtech (roughly the cost of a Sar-1) for the CAR, I am going back to the AKs for my fun guns. This AR thing is just too expensive (and addictive). The weapons run OK but are just are not as much fun as a AK. There are too many little things to worry about that you don't with an AK. Even the lubes cost a lot and who the hell ever heard of breaking in an AK. For what you will pay for your first AR you could get yourself a SA-M7 milled rec. carbine from Arsenal or one of the 5.45x39 Arsenal AKs (for less recoil) and save hundreds on "must have" acessories like the EOtech I've convinced myself that I need. Hell for $450.00 you can get a Yugo underfolder. You will be hard pressed get a decent AR upper for that price. Its not like I'm poor, I am far along enough in life that I can afford the AR addiction but the prudent side of me says enough already. Wait till you have that high paying job after collage to buy the AR stuff. Then you can go hog wild and be able to afford the addiction. I know one thing, after building a couple of AKs, building a AR is a piece of cake, and a lot cheaper than buying a whole one.

VERY Nicely put. I am done for a while after this AR, and my bro is putting together the accurate AR and mine is the all around gun. So I am covered for range toys.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I love ak's but your keystrokes are wasted in tryin to get me to get anything but an ar for my next gun. I want me a tack-driver.[

sorry im add
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#15]
-
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Good kits here

They might have Arfcom discounts, IIRC. Then just add a $100 lower purchased locally and you're good to go. Good AR for less than 6 bills.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
awesome, thanks kahlina kid. this means i would build the whole thing from parts versus just putting pins in? How hard is this to do? I like the website allot. Im just really intimidated at building a rifle by myself.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
awesome, thanks kahlina kid. this means i would build the whole thing from parts versus just putting pins in? How hard is this to do? I like the website allot. Im just really intimidated at building a rifle by myself.

The intimidating thing about ARs is that they have many small parts in them. Once you get to look at what is involved in building one up, there really isn't much to it. The only bottersome area is attaching a barrel to an upper. And the only reason for that is because you need a special wrench and vise tool to do it properly. The only other area that is a touch complex is assembling an A2 rear site. However the vast majority of "Kits" that you get now days have preassembled uppers and are usually flat tops, which negates both issues. The "Kits" you get now a days are pretty much a lower parts kit and a built upper.

Putting together a lower is a very simple thing. A very good tutorial can be found here:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

I would recomend going this route over just buying one pre-assembled. Because the next one you do , you'll wonder why you didn't take this route in the first place. And yes, there will be others.

I would also sugest an M4 or 16" carbine for youre first AR. From what you are wanting to do with it, it sounds like the best way. Keep in mind that the accuracy from an AR comes from the quality of the barrel and the ammo that you choose to use. Once you get it built, I would also recommend breaking in the barrel by cleaning frequently during the first 100 rounds shot. There are many threads on here and on other sites that describe/argue about the methods and merits of doing this, so I'll leave it at that.

Nox
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:14:15 AM EDT
[#19]
how does this look?

RKT100
16" M4 Rifle Kit
Barrel : DPMS 16" M4 1x7 Chrome Lined
Bolt & Carrier : Standard Bolt & Carrier
Buttstocks : CAR 4 Position Buttstock-Black
Charging Handle : Standard Charging Handle
Detachable Carrying Handle : None
Flash Hiders : A2 Flash Hider
Gas Blocks : Standard A2 Front Sight
Gas Tubes : CAR Gas Tube
Grips : A2 Grip
Handguards : CAR Handguard with Heat Shields-Black
Lower Parts : Standard Lower Parts Kit
Upper : Flat-Top Upper

$525 US
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top