Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2006 9:29:54 AM EDT
Ok this all confuses me so need some into.

I see many weapons, and mags listed for law enforcment and military use only. What are the federal regs  on these now that ban has been lifted. I understand that the marking has its use during the ban, but what regulations are in place now that civilians can have "assault weapons" again.

Can civilians legaly own such marked weapons, if so why are weapons still being marked "le&m"

why are some wanting weapons marked this way?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I see many weapons, and mags listed for law enforcment and military use only. What are the federal regs  on these now that ban has been lifted. I understand that the marking has its use during the ban, but what regulations are in place now that civilians can have "assault weapons" again.

Can civilians legaly own such marked weapons, if so why are weapons still being marked "le&m"

Once the Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired, any regulations that spawned from it were invalidated as well since they no longer have any legal standing.

There is no need to publish regulations allowing citizens to own firearms or accessories (namely magazines) marked "for military or law enforcement use only" because the markings themselves have no legal standing or meaning.  They may as well be marked "for use by martians only".

I don't believe there are new firearms and magazines marked so.  I believe what you see are leftovers from that era that were not sold to PDs and are now being offered to the general market.

ETA: The ATF published a letter saying essentially the same thing.  But they did so as a matter of bureaucratic procedure, because even if they had not, the markings still have no meaning after September 13, 2004.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once the Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired, any regulations that spawned from it were invalidated as well since they no longer have any legal standing.

There is no need to publish regulations allowing citizens to own firearms or accessories (namely magazines) marked "for military or law enforcement use only" because the markings themselves have no legal standing or meaning.  They may as well be marked "for use by martians only".

I don't believe there are new firearms and magazines marked so.  I believe what you see are leftovers from that era that were not sold to PDs and are now being offered to the general market.

ETA: The ATF published a letter saying essentially the same thing.  But they did so as a matter of bureaucratic procedure, because even if they had not, the markings still have no meaning after September 13, 2004.

So in the short term "for military or law enforcement use only" doesn't mean shit anymore unless you live in one of the stupid state's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I hate to see people still referring to these legal semi automatic rifles as quote "assault rifles" or "Assault weapons". Unless this is a reference to real assault weapons that are capable of full automatic fire if so they are regulated under a different act that is still in effect.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]
for the most part what i figured. I knew such marking came about because of the ban but wasnt sure how the marking were handled after.

Curious how they will handle such marked items when the next democratic congress tries to reimpose the ban. We can bet they will try and hopefully not suceed but if do will owners of such marked items have to destroy or will they come up with new marking.

hmm makes one think for sure
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#5]

I hate to see people still referring to these legal semi automatic rifles as quote "assault rifles" or "Assault weapons". Unless this is a reference to real assault weapons that are capable of full automatic fire if so they are regulated under a different act that is still in effect.

the quoted "assault rifles" was being used to reference the federal classification of such weapons used for said ban that was also fricking being referenced. I know that such methods used to classify these weapons for the ban was total crap as do most people with an ounce of common sense.

so whatever might of irked you this morning I cannot help but lets not be so anal about a term unless you properly take it in the "context" of which it was offered. Jeesh of all the things in todays world to be offended by
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top