Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:06:51 PM EDT
Well, what are they?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
your guess is as good as mine ....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
They are the little nubs on the end of the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Then why does it say "3) Clean the chamber and locking lugs with the chamber brush (insert and twist a few times).  If you're using the USGI cleaning kit use the 'T' handle section of rod."???

Are they the grooves that the bolt fits into at the end of the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then why does it say "3) Clean the chamber and locking lugs with the chamber brush (insert and twist a few times).  If you're using the USGI cleaning kit use the 'T' handle section of rod."???

Are they the grooves that the bolt fits into at the end of the barrel?

There are locking lugs in the barrel extension, too.

Yes, that's what it is talking about.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:  There are locking lugs in the barrel extension, too. .

+1  The ones on the bolt need something to lock on to, mmmmkay..
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:  There are locking lugs in the barrel extension, too. .

+1  The ones on the bolt need something to lock on to, mmmmkay..

M4A1....

First, congrats on RTFM (Read The F'in Manual)...  though you ask LOT's of questions here, they are always in the interest of getting "the real scoop", and that's why everyone always pitches in.  Apparently you ARE reading the manuals, and just wanted clarity as to what was meant.

There are locking lugs on both the bolt and barrel extension.  The ones on the bolt are easy to clean.  The advice about making sure to clean chamber and lugs is because lots of people just push a rod down the bore and ignore the chamber.  (or use boresnake, which misses it completely).

That being said, if you're REALLY meticulous, it's the area BEHIND the lugs in the barrel extension that needs an occasional cleaning, that's why a bore brush has that slightly wider collar behind the tapered portion of the brush that goes into the chamber itself.  Make sense?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Chamber stars are a big help as well.  I like to use the chamber brush to loosen the carbon and then a couple of chamber stars to clean it up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#8]
You're right, on the chamber stars....  but since half of those around here brag about not cleaning their rifles at all....  I figured talking about specialized things just for this job would stroke them out, LOL
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You're right, on the chamber stars....  but since half of those around here brag about not cleaning their rifles at all....  I figured talking about specialized things just for this job would stroke them out, LOL

"I only clean my rifle every 13000 rounds and I still shoot 1" groups at 100yds with Wolf all day long using just my irons!"
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out this 1966 Training Film. It will explain the operation of your rifle as well as explaining what the locking lugs are and how they work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Use Q-Tips and swab the chamber until the Q-Tips come out whiter than they went in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I just wish he would change his Username to  MyM4A1 OwnsMe... Until he gets a little more experience.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just wish he would change his Username to  MyM4A1 OwnsMe... Until he gets a little more experience.....

If only it was an A1.  Mmmm automatic mmmm

But yes, it definitely owns me
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top