Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:53:27 PM EDT
I know I should just call them on Monday but I am curious now - impatient I know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:59:42 PM EDT
WTF?

There is no way to "remanufacture" a cast part into a forged one without destroying it.

1) Melt cast receiver

2) Pour molten aluminum into ingot mold, let cool and solidify

3) Heat up ingot to point of ductility and pass through rollers to make billet of correct size

4) Let billet cool

5) Heat up billet to ductility

6) Stick into hammer forge set up with appropriate die

7) Bang into shape and let cool

8) Machine forging into receiver

9) Heat treat and anneal to T6 condition

10) Anodize

There's your rework plan. Disregard all of the above if your cast receiver is not made of 7075 aluminum alloy. Most likely yours is 6000 series alloy.

BTW, I just spent 10 minutes of my time, at my billable professional rate of $110/hr.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:20:52 PM EDT
Give them a call and see. I am pretty sure they out source their forged lowers from LAR so I doubt it. I think the old ones were 356 T6 Aluminum. They are the same lowers that EA and company were selling and the castings are the same. Plenty of registered 16s built on the EA ones and people do not seem to have any problems with them.

6000 series is not a cast series of aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 5:54:21 PM EDT by SWO_daddy]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:53:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 5:54:12 PM EDT by SWO_daddy]
I'd like someone to explain to me how to turn a casting into a forging.

Did I sleep through the alchemy lecture in college?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:06:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:
I'd like someone to explain to me how to turn a casting into a forging.

Did I sleep through the alchemy lecture in college?

They don't actually remanufacture it. They take a new forged receiver and stamp the old serial nunber on it. The old cast one is destroyed. Wham,Bam.......a new forged preban receiver. Olympic does it all the time. I'll bet DPMS will too.

AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:30:04 PM EDT
Well, now that makes more sense. Far from what the first poster implied...........
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:50:36 PM EDT
Actually, RCRTR answered the question just fine. Thank you very much for your time. For those who don't know, if the original manufacturer is still in business it is legal to "remanufacture" (per BATF regs) a serial number. The old receiver is destroyed by the manufacturer and disposed of. It is a way to give new life to tired receivers. Great for people still in ban states. I don't mean any offense, but SWO_daddy before you go off you might want to learn a little more about things.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:00:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 7:01:25 PM EDT by eddiein1984]

Well, now that makes more sense. Far from what the first poster implied...........

No, it was pretty clear in the original post. You just shot from the hip without knowing WTF you were talking about. SWOs....<shaking head..>
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:13:51 PM EDT
Free education.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:41:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eddiein1984:

No, it was pretty clear in the original post. You just shot from the hip without knowing WTF you were talking about. SWOs....<shaking head..>

Hey now, don't lump all SWOs into that category. I knew what he meant. Glock did the same thing a couple of years ago for people who wanted FG&R frames. And I believe this question has come up before in the context of registered MG lowers and back when the AWB was in effect for pre-ban guns.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 9:27:39 PM EDT by SWO_daddy]

Originally Posted By eddiein1984:

No, it was pretty clear in the original post.

You're shitting me, right? Go back to remedial English, please.
Top Top