Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:30:27 AM EDT
Anybody used this item?

It's basically a large strap with buckles that allows one to strap a light forward on a rifle.

Here's a link to the product:  

http://www.specialforcesgear.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=26296&cat=303&page=1

I dunno if this item would provide a cheap and effective method of mounting a light on multiple weapons, or if its kind of hokey and is $14 better spent on more ammo.

Anybody have any experience with one of these?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
"About Special Forces Gear
In the military there are special elite groups of highly trained, extremely intelligent and physically athletic men, with extraordinary skills and knowledge who perform secret missions and special operations that most people would consider unthinkable.

From parachuting behind enemy lines undetected and infiltrating into countries where peace is threatened, then performing swift strikes in stealth, these men risk their lives constantly to protect and preserve our precious freedom.

Major Dave Thomas, the founder of Special Forces Gear, is one of those men. Dave served as a member of the Special Forces (Green Berets) and Airborne Rangers (1st Ranger Bn.), two of the most elite fighting forces in the world. He is still active in the Special Operations Community.

Dave explains his purpose: "Completing the mission and surviving is always the goal. Revising and improving my equipment makes my goals more reachable. I started Special Forces Gear to give others the benefits of my experience.

All of Dave's designs are based on equipment developed and modified by and for the Special Forces fighting forces and actually used and tested on missions. Dave recognized the need in civilian life for some of these superior designs and improved on their utility, comfort and appearance.

Now you can enjoy the safety and comfort of owning Special Forces Gear and take heart in the knowledge that you possess the finest, most durable tested clothing and equipment in the world today."

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#3]
There are much better alternative methods to attach a light to your rifle. Methods that are sturdier and equal or close to the cost of that thing. Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#4]
That is actually built by SOtech IIRC. The outfit you have listed just sells it. A friend of mine runs one on his Armalite midlength with both a Surefire G2 and a metal-bodied LED flashlight.

It works great with both lights, positions the light in an offset position below the 3 or 9 o'clock level of the handguards and is very secure. He has run his through a lot of training and a formal carbine course and is doing an intermediate carbine course with it this next weekend.

I'll disagree with QUIB strongly on this one. I don't know any other way to mount a light to normal handguards for $13.97 that will hold it as securely as this buckle will. In fact, I am buying one of those for my own midlength Frankengun that has CavArms C8 handguards. Even if you have a rail, you will be hard pressed to find an offset light mount for less than $14.

IMO, that light buckle and a Surefire G2 are probably one of the best values on the market (light mount + 65 lumen light capable of handling 5k rounds mounted to an AR for under $42).
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll disagree with QUIB strongly on this one. I don't know any other way to mount a light to normal handguards for $13.97 that will hold it as securely as this buckle will. In fact, I am buying one of those for my own midlength Frankengun that has CavArms C8 handguards. Even if you have a rail, you will be hard pressed to find an offset light mount for less than $14.

Try pricing a pack of 1” Weaver rings and a short section of Weaver rail. Bet you’ll come damn close to the $14.00 for that strap plus your shipping costs!

Not knocking the strap, just doesn’t look that secure to me. Guess I’m wrong based off “looks” only.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]
One of the perceived benefits of the buckle rig for me is that I could move it to multiple rifles even if they don't have a rail mounting platform.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I have three AR’s. Two with Weaver rails mounted to the CAR HG’s, one with the YHM four railed HG’s. I can mount my SF G2 on any one of those three weapons. I did it that way on purpose so that I had compatibility between the three.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top