Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 11:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 11:09:35 PM EDT by Rekced]
I'm looking to get a few of the highest quality AR magazines money can buy. Cost isn't as concern as long as they are under $40 each. Things I'm looking for in them:

Followers that don't tilt
Springs that don't make a gritty sound when you're loading the mag.
base plates that are VERY secure
Excellent spring life
Tough finish on the outside of the tube.
A magazine that will reveals the rifles REAL reliability.

I saw the mags at www.44mag.com and they looked impressive. Just wondering if it's worth looking for anything nicer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:08:29 PM EDT
I'd say you're on the right track, get D&H teflons from 44mag with the magpul gen II followers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:09:00 PM EDT
Second Generation HK
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:10:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheTracker:
Second Generation HK

Do you have a link to some?

Originally Posted By Phoebus:
I'd say you're on the right track, get D&H teflons from 44mag with the magpul gen II followers.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:13:42 PM EDT
black teflon GI mags from 44mag.com, with gen II magpul followers and magpul L plates to fill the secure basepad requirment. That will get you two mags just as reliable as a single 40-50 dollar HK magazine....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:13:51 PM EDT
Yes those are nice mags, get the ones with the magpul followers. Magpul also makes great baseplates, The ranger and the lumpy plate. The teflon ones are very nice but as long as they are USGI you're good. HK makes a mag too but it's about $40.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:19:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rekced:

Second Generation HK

Originally Posted By Phoebus:

Thank you!

I don't have a link to them.
but you see them on the board for sale from time to time.
they are expensive , I bought 5 of them just to have. I paid $42 a mag
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:58:34 AM EDT
Just got some from DSG arms http://dsgarms.com that are great. Teflon coated D & H Mags with Magpul followers AND they weren't expensive. Great mags and great service. Ordered enough extra followers at .85 ea. to put in all the rest of my mags. Very happy.

Bill D
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:13:52 AM EDT
Although not needed, the HK magazines are by far the highest quality.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:23:07 AM EDT
Beta C hands down
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:54:23 AM EDT
I run USGI Teflon D&H 30 rounders with Magpul anti-tilt followers. Best mags I have ever used and shouldn't run you anywhere near H&K's prices.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:13:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 9:14:04 AM EDT by YELLOWV]
IMO D&H teflons with magpul followers and ranger plates are the best you can get. I think H&K are a waste of money for a heaveier mag that does the same thing. I have never had a FTF even without the magpul followers from one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:00:48 PM EDT
Here's some good info about magazine brands in the magazine forum.

FAQ: Mag Brand Rankings thread link

+1 Like everyone said before, I vote for USGI and HK mags.

I only have one HK mag because it's too much money, I'd rather have two upgraded USGI mags in place of one HK.

I'm currently running and upgrading my D&H grey and black teflon finish mags with Magpul G2 grey followers, Wolff springs and Magpul Ranger plates.

My setup for backup mags are the same brand and followers but upgrading them by removing the stock SS springs and replacing them with chrome silicon springs which are better for long term storage. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:57:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 2:59:45 PM EDT by redfisher]

Originally Posted By Rekced:

Second Generation HK

Here is one. I recommend the maritime version. None better. Period

You may find them cheaper in the Equipment Exchange

These are everything you described and then some.

Google Search of HK 5.56mm magazine turned a few others, such as --->this one
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:06:40 PM EDT
44mag.com is the way to go, I picked up a dozen of those D&H mags with the magpull followers and I really like them alot. Pretty much no tilt whatsoever.
Top Top