Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:34:54 AM EDT
I was looking at a very nice looking Smith & Wesson AR15 yesterday. Does anyone know any thing about them? The asking price was $1200.00  and it was SN# 0441.   I didn't even know S&W made an AR. High Quailty looking piece of work .
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the jury is still out on these being they just hit the market.  $1,200.00 is pretty high for me.  Let us know if you get one and what you think.

CSP
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Saw one at my local show.. nice fit and finish from what I saw. They were selling them for 1100 for a basic carbine and 1500 for a "tactical" version. For that price I can just buy a Stag or build my own.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#4]
My local store has the railed version for $1300.  I guess you guys are getting screwed.

Considering that it has a collapsible stock, a $300 Troy rail, $250 in Troy sights, M4 feedramps, a good trigger, and is supposedly otherwise milspec, it's a good deal.  You'd have a tough time taking a factory Bushmaster or other quality AR and having those parts put on there for that price.  For people who don't build AR's, or for a first AR, this is a good deal at $1300.  Now, the basic model was just over $900, which I find a little steep, but Bushy rifles are coming up to that price now, so it's not out of line with the competition.  In order to build that "tactical" model yourself, though, you'd have to spend some money on tools, which would inevitably raise the price toward that $1500 tag.

They seem to be of good quality.  They're using quality parts.  I still want to know who's making their rifles.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought the standard M4gery last weekend.  $909  The same Bushmaster was $899 and the S&W has a better upper/lower fit.  

Shoots great, but I have only fired 80 rounds through it.  I've never been a S&W fan, but I have two Bushmasters and someone has to jump in and try it! I'm going to do some bench work with it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... Considering that it has a collapsible stock, a $300 Troy rail, $250 in Troy sights, M4 feedramps, a good trigger, and is supposedly otherwise milspec, it's a good deal.  You'd have a tough time taking a factory Bushmaster or other quality AR and having those parts put on there for that price...

Yep.  Sure, you could scrounge and build an equivalent one from scratch for less... but for what it is and what it comes with, the prices I've seem have not been unreasonable, especially considering S&W's excellent warranty/customer service.  For the non-DIY'er, there are much worse ways to go IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up getting a Bushmaster.  It's a dandy !!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got the S&W catalog in.

First Thoughts:

1. M&P?  The three models are all called M&P for Military and Police.  PC strikes again.
2. The general configurations are all M4geries of one version or another.  All are 16 inch barrels with a notch just before the front sight.
3. It would have been nice if there were other barrel lengths.
4. All three have collapsible stocks; no fixed stocks.
5. Chrome rules: “chrome-lined barrel, bolt carrier and gas key”.
6. At $1,200, $1,300 and $1,700 for each variant I may skip these models.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

First Thoughts:

1. M&P?  The three models are all called M&P for Military and Police.  PC strikes again.

Naming the guns M&P has nothing to do with political correctness.

Smith & Wesson has used the Military & Police name for more than 60 years. For those same 60+ years the guns marketed under the name M&P have been avaliable to the public as well as military and law enforcement agencies they were marketed toword.

Before you critisize them you might want to learn a little of what you speak.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First Thoughts:

Smith & Wesson has used the Military & Police name for more than 60 years. For those same 60+ years the guns marketed under the name M&P have been avaliable to the public as well as military and law enforcement agencies they were marketed toword.

+1

The Military & Police trademark has been used by Smith & Wesson since 1899
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Smith should spend their money removing the tooling that puts that gay ass "internal lock" on their handguns. What a joke, and also the reason I won't buy a new handgun from them. Anyway, I would like to hear reviews on the M&P. I think I would like to let them work the kinks out before I buy one, just like their 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First Thoughts:

+1

The Military & Police trademark has been used by Smith & Wesson since 1899

I stand corrected.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6. At $1,200, $1,300 and $1,700 for each variant I may skip these models.

Have you ever paid full MSRP for a rifle/carbine/pistol?  I know the price issue has been beaten to death, but I can't figure out why people are harping on this.

S&W basic M4 (A3) carbine MSRP- $1200

www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811000_large.jpg

Bushmaster basic M4 (A3) carbine MSRP-  $ 1230

www.bushmaster.com/le/LE-Patrolman-Carb-A2-Blue.jpg

S&W M4 loaded using Troy components MSRP- $1700

www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811001_large.jpg

Bushmaster loaded using YHM components MSRP- $1745
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/Images/pcwvml16f.jpg

Some places around here do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top