Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/23/2006 12:59:08 PM EDT
I've owned a good number of service arms, from turn of the century bolt guns to the euro-variants, AK's, a Galil, PE57, SVD, you name it. And, I shot them all alot.

I was a slow warmer to the AR, having listened to biased, stupid people fill my then young head with myths and half-truths about its reliability, "shits where it eats", fragile, etc.

So, when I bought my first a few years ago it was nice to dispel those myths and rediscover what I truly think is the best multi-purpose weapon of this century.

Today, I was just doing some load testing, blasting ammo, nothing more. Sat on the bench, with the chrono fired up, and shot some 10-shot groups to test out some plinking stuff with a very stock Bushy, cut to 18", chrome lined-A2 with a scope on the carry handle. Plain jain, the only mod whatsoever is a RRA 2-stage trigger.

Here was my first group, off a cold barrel:

First shot, the flyer, was the dead center hit. The next 9 went into a .812" group (center to center). The first 3 shots of that group were literally on top of each other. This load uses good bullets, but brass that's unprepped, just garden variety load, I didn't even weigh each charge....just crap that came off the progressive.

Here's a second group, on a warm barrel using cheapie bullets:

Not quite as good, but the first 7 shots were well within an inch before the warm barrel started pushing them open.

This isn't a match gun. It's not accurized in any way. It's a $750 Bushmaster XM15, nothing more....and it's 100% reliable, after many thousands of rounds. It's really impressive, when you think about it. Look at the vaunted AK. Yes, it's a reliable mo-fo, but even the most accurate sniper variant would be hard pressed to deliver those groups (trust me, I've owned 2 of them). After 3 shots, the SVD would walk them all over the place.

I know there's more to a good service weapon than accuracy, but being able to lay those rounds inside of a quarter, with just a rumdum simple A2, speaks volumes about the gun's design.

[/off soapbox]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:09:32 PM EDT
Am I missing the distance to the targets in there somewhere?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:13:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjm:
Am I missing the distance to the targets in there somewhere?

Doh! 100 yards, of course.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:18:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:40:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:40:54 PM EDT
Good shooting there, Swingset.

CSP
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:55:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CSP:
Good shooting there, Swingset.

CSP

Darn right!!

Hey, thats good shooting even if it was @ 7yds! much less a hondo
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:58:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
Its always nice to see someone post an honest 5 shot group instead of 3/5ths of a group. A ten shot group is even nicer. Nice job!!

Yeah, that rubs me wrong too. 3 shot groups say nothing about the gun. Let it warm up, shoot 10, or better yet 20 shots, and see how good that action is. I've got a Browning A-Bolt in 220 swift that will shoot dime sized 3 shot groups, but once you push it past 4 or 5 rounds, it strings. I could post those 3 shotters, and say "wow this gun's great", but on a prairie dog hunt that stringing would cost me a shot past 200 yards.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:08:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 2:09:00 PM EDT by Minuteman419]
Nice groups and good shooting!

I've been hung up on ARs since before my first in 1986 and I'm still in love with them.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:53:01 PM EDT
Those are some nice groups!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:03:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:
Those are some nice groups!

+1

This an a 16" SS MRP with Hornady 75gr TAP @ 200M. The M16/AR platform today is very capable.

The group positions are me testing the windage & elivation adjustments on a Leupy MR/T.

Top Top