Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:40:09 PM EDT
okay so i have a colt hbarII 16" heavy....fixed stock.....here's the options i was debating for my first true modifications

1. rear buis & SPOT red dot with mount

2. vortex or phantom flash hider, handguards (they don't have to be ff) w/ rails, vert. grip

3. 6 pos car stock (can you name the best bang for the buck..did a search didn't return much)

4. troy mrf-c handguards ff

5. OR ANYTHING THAT YOU GUYS THINK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF I NEED RIGHT NOW FOR AROUND 300 BUX...PLUS OR MINUS ABOUT $25.....

i know these type of questions get asked but i think i've helped narrow it down.....this is for the most part a target/fun rifle and i hope to God my life never depends on it...i am going into the law enforcement field but will get a service rifle when the time comes so i do not need all the flashy stuff yet i have tried a vert grip and using it over just regular hg's.....i've read a lot about the SPOT red dot and was impressed with the torture test done on the boards....i know i want a collapsible stock for the sake of being able to adapt to my environments....i love the no play in the fixed but it's just another thing on the to do list......i need a flash suppressor b/c all i have is a compensator that makes this thing LOUD...........i tried not answering my own questions but as you can see i have found a use for everything i have listed or found an interest in it.....i'm not into the flashy stuff i don't need at the moment and will get that stuff when the time comes....so in advance i appreciate all replies, opinions, criticism, etc!

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:45:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
....5. OR ANYTHING THAT YOU GUYS THINK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF I NEED RIGHT NOW FOR AROUND 300 BUX...PLUS OR MINUS ABOUT $25.....

A decent 2-3 day training class. You will get more out of it than all the gadgets you can bolt on.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:46:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 7:47:16 PM EDT by ALPHAGHOST]
1: Maetech BUIS are nice and simple; ARMS 40 are my next choice; budget ones: DPMS for ~$55
no idea on the SPOT red dot
2: vortex and phantoms are both GREAT--since you are on a budget, i'd probably opt for the Phantom;
rails: probably YHM, 2 piece, but the FF will be cheaper but a little tougher to install
vert grip: cheap chicom ones around for ~$15; the TD ones are nice, but cost more
3: best 6 pos stocks imo are the ones Eaglefirearms.net sell--$72, complete stag M4 stock w/ H buffer
tic00 in the EE also has some 6pos stocks (not up to the stag's quality imo) but they work for $50 i think
4: no expierence
5: USGI mags and ammo, practice, training, sling
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:52:03 PM EDT
okay thanks for the quick replies......open for more..

guys i do/ am receiving training...being an intern i get to go to our pti range and pick up all the pointers i can from some respected vets in our area.....and i'm going into law enforcement and will get more training then.....besides i know all the basics......(i think...probably not though) and i could just get that training when i join up for free...........not trying to be a smart @$$ just saying that i wanna hold off on the training but it was a very good idea indeed and i still may do that lol
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:40:15 PM EDT
btt....b/c i need more opinions
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:17:43 PM EDT
get a magpul M93B and whith the rest of the money buy a Aimpoint clone form Jon Cui he is on the EE jackyiscxd@hotmail.com ( since you said you wanted a Spot.) My friend has one and it is prety nice for 65 bucks. here is a link to the Aimpoint clone link
and here is a link to the m93b link it is the cheapest I have found it anywhere
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:23:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:33:56 PM EDT
Ammo. More practice=better shooter (hopefully!!)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:42:30 PM EDT
Stickman is right about the stock. If you must get something fancy, get the VLTOR, it has a better cheek weld.

Turn the barrel down. Lighter is almost always better. Get an A2 flash hider installed at the same time.

A TangoDown grip is a nice addition.

A PRI Gasbuster will resist bending. I've never bent one, ut some people do it quite often.

VERY IMPORTANT: Get a sling. I prefer single point but am willing to work with a two point. Get one with a buckle so you can lose it in a hurry. I like a KAC mount in the rear, but I spent about 100 dollars to get set up. You don't need to spend as much. Be sure to get a sling mount that does not cause you difficulty using the charging handle.

I can't tell you how much you will learn in one class. Once you get all the bugs worked out of the gun and accessories, save up a little for a good instructor. No disrespect to out servicemen, but their training is not always the best their is. There are people working within the system to get the right training to the guys that need it, but that often involves paying for a civilian to teach them. Before anyone gets butthurt over that statemnet, send me an IM and I can respectfully point out who and what I am talking to.

Now, what NOT to get:
SPOT red dot. I don't have a fucking clue what this is, but if it doesn't cost at least 300 dollars it is a waste of time. Aimpoint or EOTech is the way to go. Get a Larue mount when you get either.

Cheap float rail. There are a lot of cheap rails on the market. Most of them work. Some of them work, but are much heavier than they need to be. Save enough to do it right the first time.

I like Troy flip rear sights. I have little experience with anything else, except the ARMS 40. Get the Troy. You can use it till you get an Aimpoint.

Don't let anyone talk you into permanently attaching anything to your muzzle. Not until you have been on the board for a while and now exactly what that gets you into.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 9:53:05 PM EDT by fivepointoh]
here's the link to the SPOT Torture Test performed by photoman.....seems pretty cool to me and seems to hold up just fine for my needs and well within my price range

SPOT

and here's where to buy them (on backorder hinking.gif ) www.gandrtactical.com/spot.htm
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:33:30 PM EDT

here's the link to the SPOT Torture Test performed by photoman.....seems pretty cool to me and seems to hold up just fine for my needs and well within my price range

SPOT

and here's where to buy them (on backorder ) www.gandrtactical.com/spot.htm

Hmmm... Seeing the crowd that likes it, the tests, and the fact that Grant sells it... lemme think some more about it. I still have a built in aversion, but that may be overcome in time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:21:50 PM EDT
Practice ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:15:00 AM EDT
vltor and a case of ammo
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:32:59 AM EDT
- practice ammo
- a good trigger job
- an A2 flash hider
- a cmt collapsable stock

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:54:25 AM EDT
Where do you shoot?
If there's a decent range close-by...buy a membership?!

Other than that...I'd say buy ammo and targets. You could get some cool AR500 steel targets.
Check out mgmtargets.com.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:26:45 PM EDT
thanks guys for all the responses....just spent $80 of it....got me the stag arms 6 pos. stock for colt and standard buffer and installation tool.....so about $220 left.....i'm thinkin either a rail to add onto my hg's and then putting a vert. grip below that and also a yhm rear buis for later when i want to add optics
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:38:04 PM EDT
I'd say a good rail, but it's hard not to keep puting crap on there.

So, ammo or a class.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:39:27 PM EDT

guys i do/ am receiving training...being an intern i get to go to our pti range and pick up all the pointers i can from some respected vets in our area.....and i'm going into law enforcement and will get more training then.....besides i know all the basics......(i think...probably not though) and i could just get that training when i join up for free...........not trying to be a smart @$$ just saying that i wanna hold off on the training but it was a very good idea indeed and i still may do that lol

If you think that any training you receive in either the military or LE will even come close to what you learn in a 3 day Randy Cain or Pat Rogers class, you've severly deluded yourself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:56:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By in_burrito:
If you think that any training you receive in either the military or LE will even come close to what you learn in a 3 day Randy Cain or Pat Rogers class, you've severly deluded yourself.

Worth repeating.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:31:05 PM EDT
Hmm, I wouldn't mind some flowers. Maybe a nice dress..

But, seriously, I myself would buy more ammo!!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 5:34:45 PM EDT by fivepointoh]
hmmm okay i'll look into the courses guys .....just need to figure out where they are and how much and all that fun stuff....i live in central IL so if you know of any within about 200-300 miles i'm willing to make the drive soon....if farther it'll have to hold off til summer or so

oh btw.....will yellow roses do? w/ a pink polka dot dress!?!?! lol
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:10:24 AM EDT

...i live in central IL so if you know of any within about 200-300 miles i'm willing to make the drive soon....if farther it'll have to hold off til summer or so

Capt Ken Cambell holds courses in Lebanon, Indiana. He will be bringing Pat Rogers in late June, Pat is considered the 'Yoda' of Carbine instructors.

Rather than post Capt Cambells contact info just follow this link ( http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=14486&an=0&page=0#14486 )
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:26:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 10:31:18 AM EDT by Submariner]
And if you cannot make Pat Rogers' Boone County Classes, Louis Awerbuck is in Boone County in August for carbine, pistol and shotgun courses. Having attended classes by both, I can say that he, too, is excellent. E-mail Captain Ken for details.

Quality training is the best use of extra money. ETA: Summer will give you time to save the extra few dollars you will need for tuition and other expenses.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:20:25 AM EDT
one case of ammo and 20 magazines
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:15:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 12:15:26 PM EDT by glock23carry]

Originally Posted By Forest:

....5. OR ANYTHING THAT YOU GUYS THINK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF I NEED RIGHT NOW FOR AROUND 300 BUX...PLUS OR MINUS ABOUT $25.....

A decent 2-3 day training class. You will get more out of it than all the gadgets you can bolt on.

This is the correct answer to every one of these "I have XXX to spend" threads.

G
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:23:51 PM EDT

thanks guys for all the responses....just spent $80 of it....got me the stag arms 6 pos. stock for colt and standard buffer and installation tool.....so about $220 left.....i'm thinkin either a rail to add onto my hg's and then putting a vert. grip below that and also a yhm rear buis for later when i want to add optics

With $220 left, you have enough left for a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:56:37 PM EDT
thanks guys....i know exactly where lebanon is so that might fit my schedule....the problem is i have too many expensive hobbies...and no..my g/f is not one of them......between modding my mustang, playing in a band, and owning an expensive rifle its really hard to get my priorities straight lol not to mention my everyday bills from rent, insurance, gas, credit card (only use it for gas and restaraunts..and the occasional online stuff)....but thanks guys for all the replies! the day i don't have to worry about all these things is the day you'll never hear from me again cuz i'll probably have won the lotto and then it doesn't matter ne more hehe
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:35:00 AM EDT
Ask/beg for money for birthday; put it toward class fees. Sell off extraneous everything; put it toward class fees. Stop drinking, smoking, or whatever wastes money; put money toward class fees. You will be glad you did.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:48:15 PM EDT
okay guys....so submariner nailed it right on the spot!!....although my bday isnt til august my mom said she'd help me pay for the classes down in camden, TN (tacticalresponse.com) by using the money as my graduation from college money....(in may)....then i'm selling my bass guitars and amps and effect pedals....(band days are long gone)......selling my old mustang rims (15X7 American Racing Torque Thrusts II's).....selling my old bow and all my arrows....and ne thing else i can find to sell....some wisconsin and IL guys were talking about taking the fighting rifle and advanced fighting rifle courses in TN so it'd be a group thing.
Top Top