Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GD bought Colt Defense and I thought a big announcement was forthcoming on Colt Manufacturing?!?!

This is yet another internet rumor that has A) Never been confirmed and B) Has been denied by Colt and GD representatives.

If you are going to perpetuate this rumor please at least bring some new evidence. (Or hell, any evidence for that matter, even old evidence, since I have not seen ANY at all.)

Hint: Saying "I read it in a thread somewhere on a forum somewhere" does NOT constitute evidence.

it's amazing what passes for fact on the internet. Just about anything apparently.
Not griping at you, just unsubstantiated rumors that get passed on.

to me when I read my post it looks like I am asking instead of telling but either way I'll try to use more "?" in the future.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GD bought Colt Defense and I thought a big announcement was forthcoming on Colt Manufacturing?!?!

This is yet another internet rumor that has A) Never been confirmed and B) Has been denied by Colt and GD representatives.

If you are going to perpetuate this rumor please at least bring some new evidence. (Or hell, any evidence for that matter, even old evidence, since I have not seen ANY at all.)

Hint: Saying "I read it in a thread somewhere on a forum somewhere" does NOT constitute evidence.

it's amazing what passes for fact on the internet. Just about anything apparently.

to me when I read my post it looks like I am asking instead of telling but either way I'll try to use more "?" in the future.

It looked to me like you were stating that GD bought Colt Defense and were asking about Colt Manufacturing.

I apologize if I misconstrued your post and that is not what you meant.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm actually enthusiastic about colt. The LE1020, which does not benefit from .Mil or .Gov contracts, shows they arent about to sit back and let HK push them out of the market.

The LE1020 will be driven by civilian sells, and some LEO backing, but it appears Colt is learning to innovate and chase new and unproven markets with new products.

I am seriously considering an LE1020, if I am unimpressed with the final, in my hands, 556
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, Colt and Smith and Wesson are both going out of business.  Oh, and Glock is making a rifle now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Crackhead local gunshop owner mentioned the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i tlooked to me like you were stating that GD bought Colt Defense and were asking about Colt Manufacturing.

I see what you're saying.  Nope, I have no idea at all.  I was going by the Bane Blog and should have been clearer about asking.

I dont even know if there is actually 2 seperate Colt companies as I have also heard.  I just know I want another 6920 for no apparent good reason.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i tlooked to me like you were stating that GD bought Colt Defense and were asking about Colt Manufacturing.

I see what you're saying.  Nope, I have no idea at all.  I was going by the Bane Blog and should have been clearer about asking.

I dont even know if there is actually 2 seperate Colt companies as I have also heard.  I just know I want another 6920 for no apparent good reason.  

Yes, there is a Colt Defense and a Colt's Manufacturing, they are two separate divisions of the same company, but each corporations in their own right. Colt did the change in organization in 2002 - here is the news from the horses mouth (no pun intended):

(this one is not photoshopped)

I too would like another LE6920.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Would you please post a link to this page.  I could not find it on Colts web site.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Would you please post a link to this page.  I could not find it on Colts web site.

here all the way at the bottom.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Found this on the Colt Defense website

i1.tinypic.com/ofro74.jpg

Holy crap! Thats funny!

Instant classic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm. The MT line seems to have been dropped and Colt is making more LEO models than ever. Is Colt really as stupid as some seem to think?

LEO means Law Enforcement ONLY....NOT citizens!

Just because one can buy a LEO firearms does not mean that Colt intended for that firearm to wind up in a CITIZEN'S hands.

I say screw ANY company who does not believe that their legal firearms should not be sold to citizens.

Don't buy a Remington then.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm. The MT line seems to have been dropped and Colt is making more LEO models than ever. Is Colt really as stupid as some seem to think?

LEO means Law Enforcement ONLY....NOT citizens!

Just because one can buy a LEO firearms does not mean that Colt intended for that firearm to wind up in a CITIZEN'S hands.

I say screw ANY company who does not believe that their legal firearms should not be sold to citizens.

Don't buy a Remington then.

Let's not forget Lewis Machine & Tool.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Colt Industries is HUGE. Firearms are perhaps 20%- 25% of their product offering.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes, Colt and Smith and Wesson are both going out of business.  Oh, and Glock is making a rifle now.

LMAO
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Dont be too surprised when they announce their commercial sales division closes down. When they loose there limited military contracts that they still have they are going to have to make cuts in some places. Colt defense will probably still be in production for law inforcement. I love Colt firearms do not get me wrong, but the fact is they have not been very competitive in the civilian market, and recently not so much the military market either. I dont beleive that they have made M16s for some time, and the M4? The army cant wait to get rid of it. They just dont want to jump in head first again and get a lot of guys killed with weapons that need a little time to work the bugs out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#16]
not to be nit picky but LEO means law enforcement officer in my books....if i'm wrong plz call me out on it but thats the way i've always understood that acronym.....but if you were making a poke at colt changing the O fficer to O nly then i understand..............ne ways looks like us colt owners can still be hopeful
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dont be too surprised when they announce their commercial sales division closes down. When they loose there limited military contracts that they still have they are going to have to make cuts in some places. Colt defense will probably still be in production for law inforcement. I love Colt firearms do not get me wrong, but the fact is they have not been very competitive in the civilian market, and recently not so much the military market either. I dont beleive that they have made M16s for some time, and the M4? The army cant wait to get rid of it. They just dont want to jump in head first again and get a lot of guys killed with weapons that need a little time to work the bugs out.

Do you do predictions for the lottery too?

Law inforcement?

The Army can't wait to get rid of their M4s? Is that right.
Since you are privy to all this inside information, when is the last time you served, if you don't mind my asking. Or did all the grunts just call you up to tell you that their M4s all sucked? The Unit AARs I have read tell a different story.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Army can't wait to get rid of their M4s? Is that right.
Since you are privy to all this inside information, when is the last time you served, if you don't mind my asking. Or did all the grunts just call you up to tell you that their M4s all sucked? The Unit AARs I have read tell a different story.

+1

Met a PFC in the Army at my range today. Commented on what a good choice I made by buying an AR. "Its a good weapon to have".

Not a recruiter, but just a honest guy in the military. Even let my 14yr old brother light off some tracers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I doubt that Colt will go belly up; they still have a healty business making 1911s and cowboy action shooters.

On a side note, I heard from the guys at the gun store that Winchester is outsourcing some of their firearm manufacturing to Hong Kong; please say it ain't so.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I dont like Colt as a company too much but I would not want to give up my Uncle Sam issued M4 either As for Remington, why did you say that Bradd_D just curious?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
The LE1020 indicates that Colt understands the dire position it could be in if the .Mil runs with SCAR or some other weapon.

The LE1020 is sure to be a hugely desired carbine that Colt wont be able to make fast enough even without .Mil contracts.

Think about it. Most wont  choose LW, or POF over Colt, and HK isnt coming out to play...yet.  

Colt can easily migrate their many LEO contracts over to the LE1020 as well, or just kill off their direct gas products for any but .Mil making the LE1020 into the instant de facto choice.

This new product puts Colt in a very good position, indeed. How SIG handles the 556 and how FN handles SCAR could rain on Colt's parade a little, but I can  generally say Colt will be okay

And I'm not even a Colt fan...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Call Remington and ask where you as a civilian can buy an M-24 bolt rifle or an 870 Police Shotgun, even the 18 inch version...  See what they tell you and then decide how bad Colt is about LEO only products.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, Colt and Smith and Wesson are both going out of business.  

LMAO

My local gun shop came back from shot saying this.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Call Remington and ask where you as a civilian can buy an M-24 bolt rifle or an 870 Police Shotgun, even the 18 inch version...  See what they tell you and then decide how bad Colt is about LEO only products.

You can buy them from one of their three distributors of them. I have already checked on the M24, it is very available to the public.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can buy them from one of their three distributors of them. I have already checked on the M24, it is very available to the public.

But, much like Colt, they will tell you otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They didnt tell me otherwise. I called their military side of the company (number is on website) and told them I wanted one and they gave me three numbers to call, no hassle whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#29]
As a matter of fact read this off their website

M 24 to civilians

If you are an individual and are interested in purchasing an M24 Sniper Weapon System or other firearm for your personal use, please contact any of the following Remington Wholesalers:
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I heard Sig was buying Colt

Actually, if it were true, that might not be a bad thing. I like both companies' products - could be a nice merger.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They didnt tell me otherwise. I called their military side of the company (number is on website) and told them I wanted one and they gave me three numbers to call, no hassle whatsoever.

Interesting.  That's not the answer I got 5 years ago when I wanted to buy a PSS or LTR.  Hell, I worked in a gun store that catered to LE and they still wouldn't discuss it with me.  Maybe they learned a lesson from the Colt errornet rumors.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Colt will do the same.  The Colt LEO only myth died months ago.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Colt will do the same.  The Colt LEO only myth died months ago.

But it seems people still love to argue that they won't sell to the public, because I think a lot of people want Colt to be the "bad guy".

Meanwhile LMT genuinely WILL NOT sell a complete rifle to the civilian public, even their dealers will not, and yet nobody bats an eye.

Gotta love it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I heard Sig was buying Colt

i dont think that would be to bad
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes.  They announce their bankruptcy annually at Shot Show.  And every non-Colt stocking FFL pronounce this news.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Hell.... I heard that Oly arms is going to buy Colt, and would honor all the repair work! What gives?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#39]
just saw the notice that HK is the company actually buying colt.

I guess it's their way to get the military contracts without going through all hte BS
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:10:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I guess it's their way to get the military contracts without going through all hte BS

Where did you see the notice?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I know, I know, some people will defend their opinions to the death. But the fact is our soldiers that have trained with the M4 think its great, thats the only weapon they know. The guys who trained with the Garand think its the best, the guys who trained with the M14 will tell you its the best, so on and so forth. The fact is the M 4 has lots of problems that feedramps dont help. I'm sure if our guys had trained with a better weapon, maybe something that doesent jam or overheat, or have to be cleaned 3 times a day to be reliable, Im sure they would rather have said weapon. And yes the military is trying to replace the M4 that is common info you dont have to be a spec ops insider to read about that. Dont base your opinions on how cool something looks when it has so many flaws. Yes, I own an M4 and yes I love it, but I dont have to depend on it to save my life when its jammed full of fouling and sand, If given the choice for combat I would choose the MK 16 SCAR or hell an A2 or A3. Sorry for going on about this but I have to defend my comments to some dreaming idealists who think that because something is cool that means its the perfect choice for our soldiers. And yes Colt is going to loose its contract sooner than later, just as soon as better wepon systems are availible. And please dont bash the MK 16, most of the people on this forum who didnt like it based their opinions on its looks, not the FACT that it is superior to the M4 in every way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
And please dont bash the MK 16, most of the people on this forum who didnt like it based their opinions on its looks, not the FACT that it is superior to the M4 in every way.

And we know that how given that it's not on the street yet?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
A friend told me that Colt announced at the shot show that they will be going out of business.  

Truth or misinformation?

Thanks,
Fargo

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Since when does something have to be "on the street" for extensive testing to have been done? The M4 has been "on the street" overheating and jamming up for years and that doesnt say much.Yes the M 4 has killed 100% more people than the MK16, but then so have sticks and stones. If the M4 was the answer to everything the Mk 16 would have never been conceived. Anyway, this thread is about the Colt rumor, does anybody have any real info/proof they could share?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Since when does something have to be "on the street" for extensive testing to have been done? The M4 has been "on the street" overheating and jamming up for years and that doesnt say much.Yes the M 4 has killed 100% more people than the MK16, but then so have sticks and stones. If the M4 was the answer to everything the Mk 16 would have never been conceived. Anyway, this thread is about the Colt rumor, does anybody have any real info/proof they could share?

Ah, the song of the internet commando...

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I know, I know, some people will defend their opinions to the death. But the fact is our soldiers that have trained with the M4 think its great, thats the only weapon they know. The guys who trained with the Garand think its the best, the guys who trained with the M14 will tell you its the best, so on and so forth. The fact is the M 4 has lots of problems that feedramps dont help. I'm sure if our guys had trained with a better weapon, maybe something that doesent jam or overheat, or have to be cleaned 3 times a day to be reliable, Im sure they would rather have said weapon. And yes the military is trying to replace the M4 that is common info you dont have to be a spec ops insider to read about that. Dont base your opinions on how cool something looks when it has so many flaws. Yes, I own an M4 and yes I love it, but I dont have to depend on it to save my life when its jammed full of fouling and sand, If given the choice for combat I would choose the MK 16 SCAR or hell an A2 or A3. Sorry for going on about this but I have to defend my comments to some dreaming idealists who think that because something is cool that means its the perfect choice for our soldiers. And yes Colt is going to loose its contract sooner than later, just as soon as better wepon systems are availible. And please dont bash the MK 16, most of the people on this forum who didnt like it based their opinions on its looks, not the FACT that it is superior to the M4 in every way.

You don't have a clue.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't have a clue.

+1

And now has removed all doubt.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was kinda obvious that i just made that up
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#49]
You hard core professionals killers of the internet are just too cool for me. keep living in your narrow minded little world.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was kinda obvious that i just made that up

Ironically, a few years ago, it was Colt's that attempted a buy of Hk. - seriously (LINK )
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top