Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:20:58 PM EDT
I noticed they all ditch the front sight, but have the rails to mount something on it.

What is its main purpose though?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
secure/align the gas tube?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Why is it better to have than whatever my rifle comes stock with?

www.eaglefirearms.net/images/Stag%203H%20upper.jpg

www.eaglefirearms.net/images/Stag_M4_Upper.jpg
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you talking about the std. A2 front sight vs the pic railed gas block where you can add on flip up/other front sights?

if so, the cut railed block gets rid of the A2 standing sight for better use w/ optics (no blur of the FS in the view)

basically, the rail gives you the option to add on a flip up/screw on front sight, but if not, keep the line of sight for optics clean and clear

still there to secure the gas tube though...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you talking about the std. A2 front sight vs the pic railed gas block where you can add on flip up/other front sights?

if so, the cut railed block gets rid of the A2 standing sight for better use w/ optics (no blur of the FS in the view)

basically, the rail gives you the option to add on a flip up/screw on front sight, but if not, keep the line of sight for optics clean and clear

Ahhhh ok.  So the gas tube just attaches to the front sight base on standard ARs?  Sorry, but I just recently got into guns and I'm still learning :)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahhhh ok.  So the gas tube just attaches to the front sight base on standard ARs?  Sorry, but I just recently got into guns and I'm still learning :)

yea, basically

the gas tube runs through the upper reciever, through the bbl nut's notches, over the bbl, through the front sight base/gas block (gas tube's big hole on the bottom goes upside down over the hole on the bbl, and you align the 2 smaller holes on the sides w/ the holes in the FSB/GB and add a pin to lock it in)

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782--check this out

no problem --learning is fun!

(i'm still learning too--troubleshooting the AR)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
is it ok to chop (dremill) the top of a std A2 front sight off above the gas tube?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
is it ok to chop (dremill) the top of a std A2 front sight off above the gas tube?

Yep some people do that - heck it's an option at Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What is its main purpose though?

To direct gas from the barrel into the Gas Tube.

W/O it the rifle is a single shot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep some people do that - heck it's an option at Bushmaster.

and i'm a candidate considering this as my bushy bbl is shooting a couple of feet to the right--canted FSB
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
and i'm a candidate considering this as my bushy bbl is shooting a couple of feet to the right--canted FSB

For that condition send the upper back and have them fix it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For that condition send the upper back and have them fix it.

might have to do that...
home remidies (checking the bbl torque/alignment and mallet tapping did not apprear to work)

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]

www.barnesengineering.com/AR15animation/index.htm <-------- here is kinda what it does.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#14]
it`s shoooting a couple feet to the right.????? does your rifle have a flash hider?  If so, it might not be on straight, perhaps canted. Look around inside edge of the flash hider for a  shiny spot where bullets may be hitting it when exiting barrel? Use a magnifiying glass if needed. if so return to dealer/factory.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#15]
more likely a canted FSB I'd think. Pretty sure a round hitting the FH would cause a hell of a lot more problems than just shooting to the right.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top