Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2006 11:40:37 AM EDT
Just wondering why I often see 16" or 24" bull barrel uppers for sale but almost never a 18" or 20". Is weight an issue?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]
16 inch barrel are easier to shoot out of a truck window.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
No one wants to break their backs carrying them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I think actually it is a general consinsus that you can get the same accuracy out of the 16" barrel as you can an 18 or 20"
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Accuracy sure, but what about the loss in velocity. With the .223 isin't velocity critical?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as all the powder is burnt before the round leaves the barrel it will not lose velocity. Not sure if it meets it or not at that length but it works.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think actually it is a general consinsus that you can get the same accuracy out of the 16" barrel as you can an 18 or 20"

Since accuracy is by no means a function of length I wish everyone would drop the whole longer is more accurate bullshit.  A 7.5" barrel properly made with a good chamber and lands/grooves will out shoot a poorly made mischambered full of machine marks 24" barrel.  

Velocity is the only function of barrel length.

Accuracy is created by quality work not overall length.

Now depending on the bullet weight you are using and the twist of the barrel will impact accuracy but again this has nothing to do with length.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I get the accuracy is not the issue, but what about velocity?  How critical is velocity, and what velocity are you getting from a 16" vs a 18" or 20". Someone must have chronographed their 16".
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as all the powder is burnt before it leaves the barrel it will have the velocity, if it is too long of a barrel it will actually degrade the velocity because the propellant behind it will be burnt already, this is what I have heard at least. The barrel length war has already been fought here and the short barrels have won I believe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You loose a little over 100 fps when going from a 20" to a 16" barrel.

Source: Bushmaster Technical Data

So, you loose a little velocity, but accuracy remains the same.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
16 inch barrel are easier to shoot out of a truck window.

Harry you couldnt have nailed that one more on the head      i went to shoot at a coyot today (out the window of course)  and managed to nock my dome light completely off and broke it.      Guess thats what i get for trying to *swing*  a  colt  flat top with a 24" bull barrel, bipod and 6.5-20 leupold on it   LOL
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top