Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:41:48 PM EDT
Right before being holster certified I was blowing off some rounds in my Colt 1911 Lightweight. I look over to my left and this guy pulls out an AR15.

His Hombre's behind him are all smiling and such say "WOW that's awesome" and all sorts of newbie stuff. Well, while slapping in a magazine he tries to slam the bolt closed....it DOESN'T close! Instead of pulling the charging handle back to clear the chamber he frantically slams on the forward assist.

Seeing the the bolt is not budging I tap on the Bullet proof glass asking him if he wants help. He looks at me and nods his head in approval. I walk over and pull out the magazine first. Next, I pull the charging handle back to clear it of any obstructions. Then, to my amazement a .223 LIVE round falls out...it is bent to nearly a 45 degree angle at the case head!!!!!!!WOW!

Next, I walk to the other side of the bullet proof divider back to my shooting stall. He loads the rifle and then takes aim..I then notice that he has failed to remove the plastic cover that is over the flashhider. I tap on the glass again and let him know. Embarrassed he pulls the cover off and then goes back to shooting.

My question is...In anyone of these two cases could this of resulted in serious enjury? If the case would have cracked...what would have happened? If he had fired the rifle with the cover on..what would have happened? Would it of shot throught the cover or blown up in his face??

Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:47:09 PM EDT
If you're talking about one of those rubber protectors that just slips on, it will end up about 10 ft in front of the rifle. He wouldn't have even noticed.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:47:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:
If you're talking about one of those rubber protectors that just slips on, it will end up about 10 ft in front of the rifle. He wouldn't have even noticed.

And oh yea, there will be a small hole in the center of it, too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:50:23 PM EDT
LOL. I'm glad "HE" was okay after that!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:08:55 PM EDT
It all boils down to: Was it meant for him to die today or not?

I was at a range one time and this guy was shooting an old rem 16ga. a few yards down. Pulled the trigger and nothn. Outa no where this kid comes runn in front of the gun. Someone franticly goes under the gun, grabs him and pulls him back behind the line. about 5 seconds later. BANG gun goes off. Luckily the guy had a good enough hold on it and nothn bad happened.

I guess God didnt want the kids life to end that day.

after that the guy didnt want to shoot that day (I understand why) so I asked him if I could try to run acouple rounds through his gun. Loaded it and shot perfectly. Explain that one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:17:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 7:17:21 PM EDT by ALPHAGHOST]
possible kB-type explosion?

so how 'bulletproof' is that glass at yall's range?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:17:25 PM EDT
Muzzle caps are okay to shoot through. They will launch downrange and split. Point of impact remains essentially the same. Just for grins, I shot my last two agency quals with one in place.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:20:26 PM EDT
Sinclair told me that they had to stop making the black covers as they kept getting calls needing to replace only the muzzle cover out of the set of three.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:24:47 PM EDT
the first incident might have been a bit of a problem
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 7:39:35 PM EDT by dpmmn]

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

It lands about 15 feet from the barrel
Top Top