Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2006 4:08:07 PM EDT
I am in the market for my first AR and I really like the idea of a left handed model. I am a forced righty (back before they told teachers they couldn't force kids to write right handed) but I do all of my shooting southpaw. I have shot my buddy's Bushy a bit but I did so right handed from a bench rest. Offhand I just naturally shoot lefty. Aside from the obvious receiver differences are there any mechanical differences in the internal workings of the rifle? I don't want to be stuck using only lefty replacement parts if I need to replace a charging handle or a bolt someday. Also, will the lower be a standard lower or will it only fit the lefty upper? I may want to add another upper someday if the right deal comes along, again I don't want to paint myself into a corner from the get-go. Thanks for all the many months of enjoyable and informative reading. I hope to be a much more active poster in the near future!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The only differences are in the upper receiver, bolt and bolt carrier. Everything else is identical. All the lowers are the same, all lower parts kits are the same, all aftermarket toys and parts and sights are the same. You can swap uppers, right, left, it doesn't matter. I have lefty's for me and righty's for my wife. Everything except those two parts are interchangeable. Of course the upper receiver is bart of the upper, so I don't swap those around.

The lefty rifle makes a world of difference for me, and I have both.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a lefty stag and I love it. The only thing different is the bolt and carryer. The charging handle is the same and the lower is the same as any righty model. So yes you can use the lower on any other upper. I would recomend them with out any hesitation.
Good luck
here are some pictures

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am in the market for my first AR and I really like the idea of a left handed model. I am a forced righty (back before they told teachers they couldn't force kids to write right handed) but I do all of my shooting southpaw. I have shot my buddy's Bushy a bit but I did so right handed from a bench rest. Offhand I just naturally shoot lefty. Aside from the obvious receiver differences are there any mechanical differences in the internal workings of the rifle? I don't want to be stuck using only lefty replacement parts if I need to replace a charging handle or a bolt someday. Also, will the lower be a standard lower or will it only fit the lefty upper? I may want to add another upper someday if the right deal comes along, again I don't want to paint myself into a corner from the get-go. Thanks for all the many months of enjoyable and informative reading. I hope to be a much more active poster in the near future!

I am lefty, and have always done all of my shooting lefty. I have a DCM righty rifle. It has always worked fine, Ive never had any trouble with it as a lefty. Despite popular myth here the spent cases DO NOT hit leftys in the face, that brass deflector (made for lefties) does work.

I considered getting a lefty upper recently, but why worry about lefty parts when the standard uppers works superb? I would bet those lefty uppers wont be made for long, I dont see them being profitable. They will probably be kaput soon.

So why worry about the parts being available in the future when the righty parts work fine. I say go with the righty upper. Cheaper, parts commonality, and availability make it a better choice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Wrong, left-hand rifles and the Stag AR will be around for far in the future. The big problem in the past was machine setup and real man hour labor for final assembly. With the new technology in CNC equipment you will see more left hand products available. Stag Arms is proving they are going to be a leader in the rifle manufacturing industry. If I not wrong, I believe they are going into shotguns and pistols in 2006. Even in the low in market, Savage Arms has proved they can built left handed rifles and make a profit at it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I considered getting a lefty upper recently, but why worry about lefty parts when the standard uppers works superb? I would bet those lefty uppers wont be made for long, I dont see them being profitable. They will probably be kaput soon.

So why worry about the parts being available in the future when the righty parts work fine. I say go with the righty upper. Cheaper, parts commonality, and availability make it a better choice.

If lefties order them, why wouldn't they keep making them? Worried about parts? Order a spare bolt/carrier. The upper should last quite a while.

I'm ordering a 3hl upper very soon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If lefties order them, why wouldn't they keep making them? Worried about parts? Order a spare bolt/carrier. The upper should last quite a while.

I'm ordering a 3hl upper very soon.

Yeah, if enough lefties order them they will keep making them. My Point exactly. Worried about parts? Why order a spare or even bother with a lefty upper in the first place when there is exactly no reason to do so in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wrong, left-hand rifles and the Stag AR will be around for far in the future. The big problem in the past was machine setup and real man hour labor for final assembly. With the new technology in CNC equipment you will see more left hand products available. Stag Arms is proving they are going to be a leader in the rifle manufacturing industry. If I not wrong, I believe they are going into shotguns and pistols in 2006. Even in the low in market, Savage Arms has proved they can built left handed rifles and make a profit at it.

Good, go ahead and get your lefty AR rifles. I'll stick with my righty AR and be 100% confident with it, I know its definitely going to stick around, and likely never have a problem getting parts (or at least longer than a lefty probably will). If Im wrong fine, I still wont have any problems later.

I dont doubt companies can make lefty rifles and turn a profit. I do doubt a company can make many lefty AR rifles and turn a profit. Either way Im staying away from em for good reasons IMO. I still see no point in buying a rifle that is completely unnecessary IMO.  If you want em go ahead, to each their own.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yeah, if enough lefties order them they will keep making them. My Point exactly. Worried about parts? Why order a spare

Why does anyone ever order a spare. I have all sorts of spare parts-springs, triggers, pins, etc. You order a spare because you want something on hand if you need it. Are you saying that no one that has a right hand AR keeps a spare bolt around?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, if enough lefties order them they will keep making them. My Point exactly. Worried about parts? Why order a spare

Why does anyone ever order a spare. I have all sorts of spare parts-springs, triggers, pins, etc. You order a spare because you want something on hand if you need it. Are you saying that no one that has a right hand AR keeps a spare bolt around?

No im not. Apparently you are missing the point. Why bother with a lefty upper when the righty works fine. Yeah you could buy a spare bolt carrier assembly, many people who have righty rifles do have them. Also I would bet those people dont have an infinite supply of spare bolt assembly parts, but that is not my primary point here.

I dont see the point in buying a rifle that only takes a left handed bolt assembly when a rifle built for a righty system works just as well. Its simply reinventing the wheel to me IMO. I would rather continue to use a righty rifle with 100% parts commonality, that works every bit as well for me as a lefty will that does not have this same commonality.

Back in 1985 I got a Polytech AK-223. Great AK, and it was in 223, at that time there were no other 223 AKs, and it was very difficult to get any 7.62x39 ammo. So this was a great gun right? WRONG. Now I need more mags, cant get mags. The bolt and barrel are looking a little worn now, cant get a damm barrel. Back then Polytech made the better AK, and it was a given they were going to keep supplying this country for years to come. Then Polytech was busted for selling full autos to the black market in the US. No more Polytechs, and hence no parts for my 223 AK. They do however still sell parts for 7.62 AKs, but no complete rifles.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Try shooting a righty ar15 with a suppressor mounted as a lefty. You will understand why you should buy a lefty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Try shooting a righty ar15 with a suppressor mounted as a lefty. You will understand why you should buy a lefty.

I live in NY and dont have a class III, not a problem.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like jaymeister99 has a bad taste in his mouth. I try not to remember all the things I bought that are obsolete now. Somethings are just toys and I bet many of you younger guys buy ton of toys for your children and never give it a second though when you kick them out of the way in the garage.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sounds like jaymeister99 has a bad taste in his mouth. I try not to remember all the things I bought that are obsolete now. Somethings are just toys and I bet many of you younger guys buy ton of toys for your children and never give it a second though when you kick them out of the way in the garage.

Not a bad taste, I learn from my mistakes and try to pass the wisdom on to others. Jeez, Im starting to sound like a buddhist monk or something!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Not a bad taste, I learn from my mistakes and try to pass the wisdom on to others. Jeez, Im starting to sound like a buddhist monk or something!

I can tell you from experiance that a stag lefthanded is not a mistake.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The main difference being that a buddhist monk would be passing down wisdom, and not some random conjecture. CMT has been making right handed AR parts for years. If they didn't see profitability in the left handed market, they wouldn't have spun Stag off. I got my Stag upper 2 years ago, and every time I look on here, I see more and more people giving them a try. They don't appear to be going away, which is good, because I need to buy a few more lefty kits from them

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Good to hear from Zapp and GI Brat. Nice AR's Brat.... Tell me how a guy would go about getting a Bushy on a Stag upper.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Jay, you really can't compare a complete gun that shares very little from it's larger cal version to a lefty AR. Everything is the same as a righty AR except 3 things.

How often does a upper receiver body fail?

Keep your receiver assembly clean/oiled and the carrier will last a very long time.

As Zapp said, There's obviously a demand if a company went through the trouble of engineering something to the quality and detail. Not a half-assed attempt. I'm impressed they kept the differences down to 3 parts.

If there comes a time when the lefty parts are NLA and they fail, I'll get a righty then.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Jay, you really can't compare a complete gun that shares very little from it's larger cal version to a lefty AR. Everything is the same as a righty AR except 3 things.

Keep your receiver assembly clean/oiled and the carrier will last a very long time.

As Zapp said, There's obviously a demand if a company went through the trouble of engineering something to the quality and detail. Not a half-assed attempt. I'm impressed they kept the differences down to 3 parts.

If there comes a time when the lefty parts are NLA and they fail, I'll get a righty then.

If you dont mind me asking where in NH are you from
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I gave the STAG's a once over at SHOT last week. I am not a lefty but have lefty friends and was very curious about the reverse engineering on the b/bc setup.

They did indeed look first rate and quality through and through. The bolt is reverse engineered.

If I were a lefty I would get one in a half a heartbeat, along with all the spare parts my right handed ass has for my right handed AR's.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Pointless,  add a ambi mag release and ambi selector and extension onto the charge handle and that is all a lefty needs.

Yeah, screw the brass headed inbound instead of outbound.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:31:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good, go ahead and get your lefty AR rifles. I'll stick with my righty AR and be 100% confident with it, I know its definitely going to stick around, and likely never have a problem getting parts (or at least longer than a lefty probably will). If Im wrong fine, I still wont have any problems later.

I dont doubt companies can make lefty rifles and turn a profit. I do doubt a company can make many lefty AR rifles and turn a profit. Either way Im staying away from em for good reasons IMO. I still see no point in buying a rifle that is completely unnecessary IMO.  If you want em go ahead, to each their own.

Of course they can turn a profit.  With modern CNC tech the tool-up cost to make lefties is quite low, and once done, it doesn't cost them any more to make a lefty than a righty.  With 11% of the population being lefty, there's no reason for that market to disappear.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:52:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Why do I see this argument all the time?Im a lefty and the second I move out of Kalifornia next year looking forward to buying a lefty stag.Those who say theres is no reason are full of beans.If you are left handed and like shooting a right handed rifle thats fine.

Ever shoot without eye pro?I know your not supposed to but it happens from time to time,what if theres a malfunction?

Brass flying in front of my face tends to make me flinch on longer stings.

Maybe if the stags were 3 times the price id pass on it but since they are a good price and well made why the hell not.

Alot of knife makers make knives with ambi thumbstuds but nothing makes me happier than flipping open my dedicated lefty emerson cqc7 or sebenza.

I say go for it man and tell us how it shoots!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:59:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am lefty, and have always done all of my shooting lefty. I have a DCM righty rifle. It has always worked fine, Ive never had any trouble with it as a lefty. Despite popular myth here the spent cases DO NOT hit leftys in the face, that brass deflector (made for lefties) does work.

+1, the ejection port is far enough forward not to cause a problem.  Indeed, I've always done fine having to shoot lefty (due to being blind in the right eye) with AK's, SKS's and Garands.  Nice thing about military rifles is that their case ejections are rather violent/forceful, so the case will often go right past you or even right over your head.  The AR case deflector really works.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:15:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+1, the ejection port is far enough forward not to cause a problem.    The AR case deflector really works.  

Except for those times  when the hot brass hits you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:57:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm a lefty, but all my longguns except my tactical rifle are righties. All my pistols and my two ARs  have ambi safety and mag releases.  My revolvers, well, I have had to adapt.

I've been in the gun business for a bunch years and it is my unscientific observation that a much higher per cent of shooters are left handed than the "normal" ratio of lefties (17% or so?) in the general public.  For many of us, a simple ambi safety and mag rellease are all that is needed to meet the need. For others, a full lefty based firearm works better.  Since there are lefty made firearms out there, I do consider them when I am looking to buy.  I just didn't find what I wanted in the AR line without having to build it.

At least we now have options.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree that right handed does not necessarily mean you shoot right handed.  I think there is a higher percentange of left handed shoters than people who are considered right handed.  

I shoot a rifle left handed and a pistol right handed.  I golf right handed and shoot pool left handed.  I can shoot a rifle either way, but left handed is more comfortable to me.  I write with my right hand.  My father did almost everything right handed except golf.  

I once had a teacher who could write two different sentences on the blackboard at the same time with each hand.  When the class started to drift he would start doing that to crack us up and get us back on track

I actually think the safety switch  on an AR works better when I shoot left handed.  It's a lot easier for me to work when shooting that way.

All my bolt action rifles are milsurps and therefore right handed.  It's been over 20 years since I owned a left handed bolt action rifle and working one doesn't even feel righ to me.   The only consistant problem I have is with my Garand.  When the clip ejects, it often lands on my head so I got to hear the ping twice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If you want one then go ahead. I dont see the need for it, as IMO many other lefties wont too. From what I see it looks like the complete rifles are another $100 more than a righty. I dont think most people will see the point in spending that when the standard righty works fine. I dont see it, if you do then fine gop ahead and get one. To each their own. Im sticking with my righty AR, and always will.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I can tell you from experiance that a stag lefthanded is not a mistake.

+1, well worth the money. Also, I don't think stag is going anywhere, not with the quality products they make
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife is right handed but left eye dominant. I got her a left handed Stag so she could have fun with me. I had demonstrated to her several times that the brass deflector wouldn't allow the casings to hit her, but she still didn't like the idea of brass coming across her field of vision.

I got it for her for other reasons; it was unusual and unique and it was an example of another manufacturer. It's in the 9xx range so it's extra special for her.

Why criticize people for getting something unique and fun for them?

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I think that the lefties are cool as a range novelty gimmick, but even if they work flawlessly I am opposed to that kind of non-uniformity.  I would hate to be in combat and have my rifle jam, pick up another rifle from a fallen or injured comrade and take the extra two seconds to learn which side the bolt release is on.  A lot can happen in a fire fight in 2 seconds, and I think everyone being on the same page and learning the same equipment is important.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I think that the lefties are cool as a range novelty gimmick, but even if they work flawlessly I am opposed to that kind of non-uniformity.  I would hate to be in combat and have my rifle jam, pick up another rifle from a fallen or injured comrade and take the extra two seconds to learn which side the bolt release is on.  A lot can happen in a fire fight in 2 seconds, and I think everyone being on the same page and learning the same equipment is important.

iirc, the bolt release is the same. Everything is the same except for the ejection method.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#36]
IIRC?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#37]
i am a lefty but i find it much easier to shoot the right handed AR15 due to training but i also find that with modfied tech. it just as easy to shoot as a left handed one
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

So should all combat personel carry the same handgun as well? Safetys, mag releases, etc can vary greatly with them as well.

We all choose guns to what we prefer (and everything else for that matter).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I think the real reason most righties are saying to stay with the standards AR is.

They don't want you to the right of them on the firing line. Can you say "Dueling brass, and I don't mean the horn section of a band"Luis Leon
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#40]
True, now I'll be able to defend myself against the incoming brass onslaught!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You make a very valid point. The ease at which you can learn the function of a battlefield pickup should be a top priority in picking a new gun. Maybe we can come up with a completely standardized setup for the AR(stock, barrel length, gas system, sights, grip, etc), and pass a law that all ARs should be converted to that. That way we can rest comfortably knowing that when the zombie hordes come, and we are forced to pick up weapons on the battlefield, that we won't have to take the extra second or so to get acquainted with the rifle we find. Because that is MUCH more important than buying whatever suits your personal taste.

Then maybe afterwards, we can decide on a common vehicle, so that we don't have to relearn where the radio presets are in a battlefield pickup situation.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Considering, if you want to be ubertactical, you need to be able to function both right and left handed, I fail to see the point of it.

I have never, in many thousands of rounds from an AR, been hit with brass. I haven't even noticed the brass flying in front of my face. Maybe I'm too busy focusing on the front sight or in the case of optics, the threat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

You make a very valid point. The ease at which you can learn the function of a battlefield pickup should be a top priority in picking a new gun. Maybe we can come up with a completely standardized setup for the AR(stock, barrel length, gas system, sights, grip, etc), and pass a law that all ARs should be converted to that. That way we can rest comfortably knowing that when the zombie hordes come, and we are forced to pick up weapons on the battlefield, that we won't have to take the extra second or so to get acquainted with the rifle we find. Because that is MUCH more important than buying whatever suits your personal taste.

Then maybe afterwards, we can decide on a common vehicle, so that we don't have to relearn where the radio presets are in a battlefield pickup situation.

I didnt say all weapons should standardized.  In fact, I recognized the unique coolness factor of having a lefty at the rnage.

But, your sarcasm does not go unnoticed, Zapp.  They say that sarcasm is a tool of the weak mind, but that clearly is not the case with you.  You obviously are smarter than the hundreds of thousands of military and law enforcement personell who abide by a rule of standardized firearms within their branch/unit/department.  Now if we could just convince those experienced policy makers to heed your sarcasm and dispose of the effieciency that uniform firearms create.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

But, your sarcasm does not go unnoticed, Zapp.  They say that sarcasm is a tool of the weak mind, but that clearly is not the case with you.  You obviously are smarter than the hundreds of thousands of military and law enforcement personell who abide by a rule of standardized firearms within their branch/unit/department.  Now if we could just convince those experienced policy makers to heed your sarcasm and dispose of the effieciency that uniform firearms create.

At least you noticed it, even though you didn't quite understand it. They say sarchasm is the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.

But you make a very valid point, that a person buying their FIRST AR, probably should use the same guidelines for purchasing as the military does when it purchase all its semiautomatic ARs, because the idea of standardized firearms across a branch/unit/department, and all the advantages that brings in terms of standardizing training and parts inventory, makes PERFECT sense for the individual purchasing their first AR.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
[

Following this logic, we would never have AR's because everyone was using M1's and M14's.  We shouldn't have had those because there were millions of bolt action 30-06 in use. Geez, someone has to be first.

We would never have automatic cars, because everyone was driving standard shift cars.

That also raises the "muscle memory" argument that was made before. How many of us can drive both standard and automatic cars with nary a second thought. Cripes, could it be possible to use two different things?

The reason no one used left hand AR's was because no one manufactured them. Now they are available.
Now people will use them.

If you ever come shooting with me and need to use one of my firearms, it will be a left hand model. Let's see, you will hit the bolt release (it's on the left) and flip the safety (again on the left) and pull the trigger. Is that so different from yours that you couldn't remember how to do that?

If you don't want one, don't buy one, but they are every bit as good and reliable as a right hand version.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Battlefield pickup truck ?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a southpaw too and shooting a right handed AR left handed with no problems, thank god for the caseing deflector!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Just ordered a Stag 2L.  Given a choice ,and being new to the AR platform, I don't see why a Left-Handed shooter wouldn't consider a rifle built specifically for them unless they are part of a military/LE unit that standardizes? For me, as a vivilian, the pros outweighed the Cons.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm lefty and have been shooting right hander for the past 20 years,  The few times I shoot lefty I shoot alot better.  How is the qaulity on Stag Arms?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I am a righty, but am left eye dominant. I shoot rifle lefty, and I actually like it set up righty. The only thing, that even slightly bothers me, is the safety. I keep forgetting where my thumb should be. That is just a training issue as far as I'm concerned.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top